Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 24, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #7,201 of 18,496
Write to IMR. They'll send them to you. They already sent Halcyon filters that got broken to one of us and also promised to send me with Ace. So in your case they definetly should, given that it's their mistake.
as it happens @jon parker bought a cable off me today so I'll just trade him, thanks though!

Jun 24, 2022 at 5:25 PM Post #7,202 of 18,496
out of curiosity has anyone an extra pair of black nozzles (NOT filters) they could give me? IMR didn't send back the nozzles, probably because they were defective. I'd love the option of megabass because the DM do that pretty well :)
If you still need, let me know. I'm sure Jon is helping you but if you still need I can send.

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #7,203 of 18,496
ETS!!!!
Don‘t forget this. It‘s not just the delays/miscalculations…………

But i have learned my lesson, after ACE and EH - no more pre-order purchase from IMR.
That was my decision after how the delays on the Pro line were handled.

I still haven't received a reply from Bob about what's going on with the ETS after the announcement that they would be shipped... which was nearly 2 months ago, now.

Jun 24, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #7,204 of 18,496
20220624_105118.jpg

Jun 24, 2022 at 8:44 PM Post #7,206 of 18,496
Finally found a Avalon combination that synergizes well to my liking. Avalon now sounds like a more refined tuned Semper. Although the mids of Semper is a bit more forward, Avalon doesn't have that shoutiness that Semper has on some tracks. Note that I do find the Dark Matter to have the more forward mids and also the best out of the three. However the OG EDP still holds the best mids out of all my IMR collection. Really really can't wait for the Ace. Bass is not as boomy and sub-bassed focused as the Semper but rather sounds more focused on the upper bass. Now this not a downplay on the Avalon's Bass. It still is able to satisfy my bass head cravings. Bass is one thing that IMR does well and a reason why I keep wanting to hear each creation. This combo has been my goto for the last couple weeks for listening to rock and 80s-90s hiphop.

zx300 (mrwalkman firmware) + effect audio Cleopatra + final audio e tips
filters used: black bottom \ blue top

20220624_135502-01.jpeg

Jun 24, 2022 at 8:53 PM Post #7,207 of 18,496
Although the mids of Semper is a bit more forward, Avalon doesn't have that shoutiness that Semper has on some tracks.
Wow, those are completely opposite observations to what I heard when comparing Semper to Avalon back to back.

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:03 PM Post #7,208 of 18,496
Wow, those are completely opposite observations to what I heard when comparing Semper to Avalon back to back.
honestly It seems that whenever things are compared to semper it's a hit or miss and I'm betting it's due to people pairing it with various dac/amp/cables.

I'd love to say it's just a lot of drivers being different and reacting differently to cause this change but I'm thinking it's more of their types, and size. 15mm aten and a planar.. (and ests, but those aren't nearly as power hungry)

Interesting how diverse the impressions of semper are :)

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #7,209 of 18,496
I agree with you. Avalon has more forward mids than Semper

Jun 24, 2022 at 9:31 PM Post #7,211 of 18,496
I agree with you. Avalon has more forward mids than Semper
I wish that was the case for my pair then I would have considered Avalon as an upgrade over my Semper. To date I consider Semper the totl model. Perhaps my pair is defective?

Edit.
Semper I have it in the open back configuration with black\blue filter. Even in closed back configuration I hear the Semper mids a bit more forward than Avalon.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2022 at 1:09 AM Post #7,212 of 18,496

These are highly "sensitive" IEMs, and the DAC/Amps have a huge part to play in their presentation of music.

How do both Semper and Avalon sound on your different DAC/Amps?

honestly It seems that whenever things are compared to semper it's a hit or miss and I'm betting it's due to people pairing it with various dac/amp/cables.

Apart from cables (no cable wars, please) I am with you on that, DAC/Amps do make a huge difference.

Jun 25, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #7,213 of 18,496
Finally found a Avalon combination that synergizes well to my liking. Avalon now sounds like a more refined tuned Semper. Although the mids of Semper is a bit more forward, Avalon doesn't have that shoutiness that Semper has on some tracks. Note that I do find the Dark Matter to have the more forward mids and also the best out of the three. However the OG EDP still holds the best mids out of all my IMR collection. Really really can't wait for the Ace. Bass is not as boomy and sub-bassed focused as the Semper but rather sounds more focused on the upper bass. Now this not a downplay on the Avalon's Bass. It still is able to satisfy my bass head cravings. Bass is one thing that IMR does well and a reason why I keep wanting to hear each creation. This combo has been my goto for the last couple weeks for listening to rock and 80s-90s hiphop.

zx300 (mrwalkman firmware) + effect audio Cleopatra + final audio e tips
filters used: black bottom \ blue top

how come you use a zx300 when you have an l&p p6 pro?

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #7,214 of 18,496
I'm at about 100-120 hours. I've been using the Black/Blue combination which gives strong bass and treble. The past three or so days I've notice somewhere between the mids and the upper mids a more noticeable separation between the two, and upper mids becoming slightly sharper which has made a few tracks with guitars and female vocals a bit harder edged. I'll give it a while and 'watch and wait', then try different uppers to alter the treble. I still find them hypnotic and pleasing, but will probably change the upper to see what difference it makes.
I like to listen to the burn-period so I burn-in listening as I go along. I noticed a change in the mids/upper mids after roughly 100 hours. What now has become apparent is the soundstage... it has opened up substantially. Much more unpredictably holographic, actually. Very noticeable on Radiohead tracks. I'm quite OK with the sharper upper mids, very few tracks have uncomfortable "glare". Very noticeable changes and unexpected. Bass is still special.

Jun 25, 2022 at 8:49 AM Post #7,215 of 18,496
I like to listen to the burn-period so I burn-in listening as I go along. I noticed a change in the mids/upper mids after roughly 100 hours. What now has become apparent is the soundstage... it has opened up substantially. Much more unpredictably holographic, actually. Very noticeable on Radiohead tracks. I'm quite OK with the sharper upper mids, very few tracks have uncomfortable "glare". Very noticeable changes and unexpected. Bass is still special.

The sharpness and bite is still there with a number of the [lesser normally used!] upper filters but now with the Grey lower and blue upper it tames the sharpness just enough whilst leaving the fresh clean-ness of the uppers
i am blown away by the 3D holographic around the head - behind the ears staging now - magical
Im still a little surprised there is not a faster low end but I suspect this is a result of Bob using the 'biggest motors yet giving the greatest pistonic action of an IMR to date'.
This was a choice I was always very curious about in relation to the super rigid and hard ADLC.
Seems to give a unique sound that's for sure :)
Loving it

PS Did you know that [essentially] Radiohead has released a new record?!!
The Smile - A Light for Attracting Attention - (The song in this article is not like the rest of the album but still...)
Its clearly a Thom Yorke driven sound but...:D
I only found out by accident

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back