Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 9, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #6,931 of 18,128
my Dark Matter pair will NOT let me remove the black nozzle on my left IEM so I'm probably returning them to Bob for surgical extraction. (was going to try out a reference combo.) have asked for a new set of black nozzles and filters, hopefully can get this sorted soon!
Why does it always seem like the black filters and nozzles are the ones with issues, not the other colours.

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #6,932 of 18,128
They are hand assembled so occasionally one does not hit the spot. The customer service is so good that in that event, it is dealt with very quickly. I've bought so MANY IEMs from China and in general it has been a good experience, but when problems arise it becomes very complicated. With IMR, customer service is quick and of the highest level.....although the waiting time for new builds to be ready takes some patience.
So hearing this my biggest concern for me right now is how can I tell that the DM that is on my way is a good copy or bad copy, since I nver heard of a good copy of DM. How did you tell? I dont have much experience with TOTL iem and IMR is the only iem i spend money on. I assume after 300 hr burn in and it still does not sound right its a bad copy? Not sure if I can tell if it sounds right or not but would feel like missing out if there is a DM with better copy than what I have...

Jun 9, 2022 at 10:50 PM Post #6,933 of 18,128
So hearing this my biggest concern for me right now is how can I tell that the DM that is on my way is a good copy or bad copy, since I nver heard of a good copy of DM. How did you tell? I dont have much experience with TOTL iem and IMR is the only iem i spend money on. I assume after 300 hr burn in and it still does not sound right its a bad copy? Not sure if I can tell if it sounds right or not but would feel like missing out if there is a DM with better copy than what I have...
what @dharmasteve means by bad copy is that if there is something wrong with your set i.e. channel imbalance, or no bass. So if you think something sounds off, then there is something wrong with your set.

Jun 9, 2022 at 11:13 PM Post #6,934 of 18,128
Why does it always seem like the black filters and nozzles are the ones with issues, not the other colours.
I guess because the black filters come factory installed?

Jun 10, 2022 at 12:28 AM Post #6,935 of 18,128
I guess because the black filters come factory installed?

It should not be manufactured any differently save for the black being mounted on the iem as stock. Regardless saved by the excellent service.

Jun 10, 2022 at 2:06 AM Post #6,936 of 18,128
what @dharmasteve means by bad copy is that if there is something wrong with your set i.e. channel imbalance, or no bass. So if you think something sounds off, then there is something wrong with your set.

I see, I will check on it.

Also a bit out of topic but for those who is looking for qudelix for their dark matter, I was notified by their support team that it's now available and I have purchased one myself.

Btw, will this work for dark matter? https://drop.com/buy/audina-2-pin-0-78mm-to-2-5mm-trrs-balanced-cable

I ordered my DM with 4.4 balanced cable, and realised qudelix only has 2.5mm port. Idk if it's better to just get 2.5 cable or just get an adapter...

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 2:58 AM Post #6,937 of 18,128
You will know. The bass on the DM is very special and has some heft and quality and it should show it's 'face' quickly. Of course they will burn in, but their quality should be apparent after a short while. The right set of tuning filters and eartips will enhance the experience though. Enjoy the Dark Matter ride. It's a good experience.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 2:59 AM Post #6,938 of 18,128
Yesterday I received my DM and I confess that it is being a challenge.

On the one hand, the choice of tips is complicated. I have all kinds of tips, and with other IMRs I had always successfully used Spiral Dot or Azla Sedna Short. But with this DM none of them seal me properly, so the sound is bad and weird. In the end I've gotten the best result with the white tips with yellow tube that come with the Timeless, but they're not perfect either, and I have to spend some time putting them on initially, and squeezing them into my ears every 10-15 minutes.

On the other hand, the cable is a horror. I've easily removed the memory effect plastics, and it's doing a lot better that way, but I feel like it's still trying to pull the capsules out of my ears. And the problem is that I have tried to use other 2-pin cables, and the result has been disastrous: they do not fit well, and the sound is much worse (it is the first time that I have noticed a difference in sound by changing the cable).

Do you know of any other cables that are IMR compatible (the connector is narrow enough to fit into the capsules), keep the sound of the original cable, and improve comfort without pulling the capsules out?

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #6,939 of 18,128

On the one hand, the choice of tips is complicated. I have all kinds of tips, and with other IMRs I had always successfully used Spiral Dot or Azla Sedna Short. But with this DM none of them seal me properly, so the sound is bad and weird. In the end I've gotten the best result with the white tips with yellow tube that come with the Timeless, but they're not perfect either, and I have to spend some time putting them on initially, and squeezing them into my ears every 10-15 minutes.

On the other hand, the cable is a horror. I've easily removed the memory effect plastics, and it's doing a lot better that way, but I feel like it's still trying to pull the capsules out of my ears. And the problem is that I have tried to use other 2-pin cables, and the result has been disastrous: they do not fit well, and the sound is much worse (it is the first time that I have noticed a difference in sound by changing the cable).

Do you know of any other cables that are IMR compatible (the connector is narrow enough to fit into the capsules), keep the sound of the original cable, and improve comfort without pulling the capsules out?
The cable is an issue and tips too. I bought a cable from https://kotoriaudio.com/
They fit on to the Dark Matter reasonably well and are lighter by far than the original. I do get a seal with Spiral Dots but I find Azla Xelastecs have a natural kind of surface that is mildly sticky and seal well. I do have larger ear canals so we all differ. The angle of the DM in the ear is important. Anyway I got the Kotori 'Carbon' Cable. It's Copper Litz and I like it. It may be worth emailing Kotori if you get interested.

Jun 10, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #6,940 of 18,128

I am fine with the stock silicon tips, but the stock dark cable was jangly and wouldn’t stay behind my ears. Changed it to an ISN G4, much better with no memory effects.
0406891B-0E4D-496F-AEB0-4B4D9EF86F03.jpeg

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #6,941 of 18,128

Effect Audio Grandioso is a good cable with better fit. It has similar characteristics soundwise.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #6,942 of 18,128
The cable is an issue and tips too. I bought a cable from https://kotoriaudio.com/
They fit on to the Dark Matter reasonably well and are lighter by far than the original. I do get a seal with Spiral Dots but I find Azla Xelastecs have a natural kind of surface that is mildly sticky and seal well. I do have larger ear canals so we all differ. The angle of the DM in the ear is important. Anyway I got the Kotori 'Carbon' Cable. It's Copper Litz and I like it. It may be worth emailing Kotori if you get interested.
Any tips on buying azla xelastecs without trying it first? I normally wear small/medium tips on other devices for example on sony wireless TWS I fit with small ear tips. but I just dont want to spend ear buds only then realising its too small/big.

Jun 10, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #6,944 of 18,128
Any tips on buying azla xelastecs without trying it first? I normally wear small/medium tips on other devices for example on sony wireless TWS I fit with small ear tips. but I just dont want to spend ear buds only then realising its too small/big.
Sizing is difficult. I use the 14mm large tips as I have wider ear canals. The Xelastecs are available on Amazon here in the UK but they cost £16 for two pairs....very expensive....too expensive to make a mistake with. I really have no idea if you can get the fit you need.

Jun 10, 2022 at 5:00 AM Post #6,945 of 18,128
On the other hand, the cable is a horror. I've easily removed the memory effect plastics, and it's doing a lot better that way, but I feel like it's still trying to pull the capsules out of my ears.
Welcome to the club, my friend. Have you also got 3 of those with your DM? Since I exorcisied and buried all of mine in a sacred ground I definetly became a much better person overall! 😆

Soundwise, yeah, that cable is different from the ones I have too. However I found that with Avalon it's possible to just use the filters to tune the iems to account for that. May worth a try. For example, I settled on a Dunu DW02 (silver plated copper) and moved the lower filter a bit bassier then with original and upper to blue. And it sounds even better now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back