Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #5,881 of 18,041
Hi guys. I just got an R3 Halcyon. I am an IRM virgin 😁 And I have to say that I am totally puzzled by the tuning system. What type of voodoo is that? The upper ones at least have some fillament (which looks exactly the same, but ok). But the bottom filter - that's a total head scratcher: apart from the colors they look 100% identical to my eyes. Can anyone of you shed some light regarding how they are supposed to work. I mean, yeah I see in an instruction that somehow they influence FR. But how? If they weren't colored I would never in my life tell them apart.
Take some album with well edited bass section, advice: Massive Attack Mezzanine or 100th Window, if you like that genre. Or something you know well with again nice edited bass line. As @PeacockObscura suggested go from lower bass to higher or if you're a basshead, from more bass (black) to lower (silver) stopping with the level that's fine for you.
Than take some piece with well mids and treble that you know well and interchange upper filter to understand what tune you prefer.
(for me as well gold filters are something particular, probably necessary for some specific mission that I didn't get)

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #5,882 of 18,041
Same here, I like things that just plug in without any extra 'complications' (read I'm lazy). Though it does say the battery is user replaceable.
Yeah, I also asked that as that cable bothers me. Here is the reply on the battery:

"They are user replaceable and so can be kept running for many years to come."

And on the cable itself (say the cable breaks, what happens then):

"The cables plug into the amplifier and will be easily available from myself or in long term
Future you would be able to get made by other cables makers if required."

So seems like it shouldn't be a huge problem, but I still would like to see how it looks. I have a set of bose ones with an inline amp at the bottom - not exactly a fan.

@yaps66 Actually I am eyeing Seraph+ as I like electrets. That's why I grabed R3 Halcyon. Now waiting for Ace and trying (desperately 😆) to resist preordering Seraph+.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #5,883 of 18,041
Thank you guys for the suggestions - really appreciate (as mathematically it's 96 combinations 😆, so a bit overwhelming).

So far grey+gold+closed seem to work nice for easy listening for my ears. And gold+blue+open (courtesy of @yaps66 👍) somehow gives me a cinema sound illusion. And honestly I would have never even tried that one, as the golden nozzle seemed super weird to me and I had no idea why it's even in the box. Probably there are other combinations that are somewhat weird, but great in some unique way - hope I'll learn them all one day.

Apr 16, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #5,884 of 18,041
And on the cable itself (say the cable breaks, what happens then):

"The cables plug into the amplifier and will be easily available from myself or in long term
Future you would be able to get made by other cables makers if required."

So seems like it shouldn't be a huge problem, but I still would like to see how it looks. I have a set of bose ones with an inline amp at the bottom - not exactly a fan.
I am no expert in cable

Based on your info above , it seems to me that it’s a proprietary cable made by Bob.

I think I will wait for final product before deciding on Seraph.

Side tracking , anyone getting the Elan+?

Apr 16, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #5,886 of 18,041
I am no expert in cable

Based on your info above , it seems to me that it’s a proprietary cable made by Bob.

I think I will wait for final product before deciding on Seraph.

Side tracking , anyone getting the Elan+?
I have preordered the Elan+. Long wait though. I read somewhere that delivery on or about Aug!

Apr 17, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #5,887 of 18,041
Elan+ Sound:
Usr - How is the sound?
Bob - Sound is the same as original Elan but I have vastly improved the midrange and vocal presentation.
The bc effect is increased due to greater contact patch of shell design.
Detail is increased along with staging and imaging.
Usr - In which frequencies will work BA drivers? Mids or treble?
Bob - They are full spectrum but are being used for mainly mids/vocals but they do improve the upper
registers also
What about the DD? Is it only used for Low end now, or is it still full range?

Apr 17, 2022 at 3:21 AM Post #5,888 of 18,041
Do you know what ESTs are used in Halcyon?

So far on other iems I only heard ESTs on highs and initially (before listening) also assumed they were those sonion est tweeters on Halcyon too. But now that I have them in the ears for the third day, I could swear they are also on vocals as the mids have this non-DD, non-BA, non-planar feeling to them, kind of lightness and cleanness, sort of planar like, but different with the typical EST bit of sparkle. Never heard those on the mids before.

Apr 17, 2022 at 4:14 AM Post #5,889 of 18,041
What about the DD? Is it only used for Low end now, or is it still full range?
According to what Elan were and what Bob said about plus, 10mm bespoke DD has to be full range. BA will add details on mids and BC would do the same thing as before but even better because of the new shell

Apr 17, 2022 at 5:25 AM Post #5,891 of 18,041
I'm the same way. Kilobuck territory (apart from my blind Dark Matter buy) is a tough sell for me!
Agreed. Which is why my threshold is the Elan+. The Ozar is not as popular (it seems since it was given away to appease shipment delays) as, say the Elan, and yet, it is the iem i reach for most of the time. Bob has been pretty accurate in his tuning descriptions so far and what sold it for me for the Elan+ was his description that "[t]he dual balanced armature elevates the midrange and vocal presentation to another level."

Can't wait to try the Elan+ but that will be a while yet. Not too bothered in the meantime since I have EDP Ace and Zenith II on pre-order also! :L3000:

Apr 17, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #5,892 of 18,041

So far on other iems I only heard ESTs on highs and initially (before listening) also assumed they were those sonion est tweeters on Halcyon too. But now that I have them in the ears for the third day, I could swear they are also on vocals as the mids have this non-DD, non-BA, non-planar feeling to them, kind of lightness and cleanness, sort of planar like, but different with the typical EST bit of sparkle. Never heard those on the mids before.
Sonion still
According to what Elan were and what Bob said about plus, 10mm bespoke DD has to be full range. BA will add details on mids and BC would do the same thing as before but even better because of the new shell

The thing about IMR, and the semper it's the best example: bob doesn't use crossovers so all the drivers are pushing (in their whole fq range and technicalities) all they can. Some magic comes with em (opus mia, halcyon, rah, pb1) with it's caveats. A crossover would be good to be seen

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #5,893 of 18,041

I asked in our community if it's possible that EST drivers could also play on mids making them richer, the answer from more experienced comrades was positive.

Apr 18, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #5,895 of 18,041

Users who are viewing this thread

Back