Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #5,911 of 18,115
Very close to the Avalons to the point where its hard to justify the price difference actually. I could do an eq curve for those if you like.
Totally disagree. Ozar's are brighter, thinner, drier with more narrow sound stage, worse separation and resolution specially on treble. Avalon are clearly a higher tier gear. Just impossible to put them close. Maaaaaybe with Elan, they are closer, but not with Ozar. Ozar have good sub-bass, but Avalon have way better mid bass. Mids on Ozar are a bit more forward than on Avalon, but lack on resolution. Ozar are probably better with some less micro dynamic sources, more musical.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #5,912 of 18,115
Very close to the Avalons to the point where its hard to justify the price difference actually. I could do an eq curve for those if you like.

I'm glad about that as I compared them favourably with my Mest II, and wondered what others thought when I said that. I don't go much by graphs just how something sounds, thanks anyway.

Apr 21, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #5,913 of 18,115
So I have been comparing my working IMR headphones and thinking over the differences between the avalon and semper and older IEM's from memory (halcyon, and aten currently broken). I have used a bunch of songs and also pink noise to EQ each model to what is the most pleasant or least harsh whilst also not reducing any frequency into being unballanced and thought I would share my findings here. First is the semper
Above Semper and below Avalon has a dip at 1.8k which is normal to counteract how sensitive our ears are in that area (look up Fletcher munsons Equal-loudness contour graph for more info). The meaningfull EQ I applied is a gentle boost to the whole midrange (as semper is quite V shaped/recessed) and a sharp cut to aleviate the trebble issus I have at 7.5k leading to a harsh and sibilant experience which is my main gripe with the semper.

Compared to the avalon below and by extension Ozar which I find very similar in frequency response it has a gentle cut over the whole midrange as its much more forward than desired plus has two cuts to reduce harshness at 3.1k and 8.3k. I find that the out of box experience on the semper is more pleasant than the Avalon but I miss the more controlled bass and wider soundstage.

Comparing to my Halcyions and PB1 from memory, (so take it with a grain of salt) the Halcyon and PB1 are much closer to my ideal headphone exibiting far less peaking frequencies than the semper or avalon with both seeming to have a fairly similar response. The main difference to me was the detail and stereo width in the trebble (better on halcyon) and mids (better on the pb1).

The PB1 made me tear up when I first recieved them and I have not had such a positive response from the other models since and I have been a bit dissapointed with the peakyness of both semper and avalon. I may try to trade in and fix some of my models depending on what new models are in the roadmap and maybe feedback from bob.

I'm just sharing my findings here as someone may find it usefull. I created the EQ curves in Ableton live and I do a lot of sound work (mostly live) as my main job. I may try steal the PB1's off my partner later to do an EQ curve on those if anyone is interested. She got the PB1 and I got the Halcyons which my son broke. All earphones are on black black filters.

Also its worth noting that the harsh peaks I hear are most notable at loud volumes which is often what I listen to as they also get used for work and for mixing bands live. The avalons are superior in soundstage, bass control and detail but to me they are not the smoothest, ie can be harsh when loud.
Hi, If you don't mind could you ecplain to me how you are connecting/using your in-ear monitors within Ableton Live? Are you just pluging them into your audio interface, using EQ8 to find your perfect curve and then coping the curve to your DAP/Phone? I also own Live, but i use it for hobby purposes not my main job!
Also, Regarding the harshness & sibiliance with each monitor,you say they are all black/black, is there a reason you are not using the other Treble Filters to reduce the peaks and then use EQ to fine tune the sound?
One last thing, do you know if you was one of the first 50 when you purchase Avalon? If yes then the Experimental Tuning System's are now built and should be with the lucky first 50 buyer's very soon and this MIGHT also fix you sibiliance issue?
Hope this helps & all the best 👍

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #5,914 of 18,115
Hi guys, now the EST's are finally built and on they way to the lucky few i would just like to ask again if anyone who was within the first 50 for both Avalon & DM and receive 2 EST's i would love to buy one of them from you at a price you would be happy with?
On the other hand, if nobody actually recieves 2 sets and is not a basshead like me i would love to buy the maximum bass filter in the EST?
THANX guys really appreciate if anyone can help?👍

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #5,915 of 18,115
Hi guys, now the EST's are finally built and on they way to the lucky few i would just like to ask again if anyone who was within the first 50 for both Avalon & DM and receive 2 EST's i would love to buy one of them from you at a price you would be happy with?
On the other hand, if nobody actually recieves 2 sets and is not a basshead like me i would love to buy the maximum bass filter in the EST?
THANX guys really appreciate if anyone can help?👍
I should get one. But normally it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive from the UK

Apr 21, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #5,917 of 18,115
I should get one. But normally it takes 2-3 weeks to arrive from the UK
Hi Paggio hope your well and your a star really appreciate it 👍 drop me PM once you recieve them.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #5,918 of 18,115
So, I was seriously contemplating if I should go for the Elan+. I do have the cash, I could make the payment right now (Although 4 months' waiting time is...difficult, to say the least)...until I took one more listen at the Elan, paired with Nocturnal Audio Acrux cable, out of the M3X balanced. Suddenly I could feel I'm not missing anything. It's perfectly fine. I don't need it to upgrade. It's marvelous as it is, and my itch to go for the Elan+ went away completely. This year I'll probably skip IMR builds altogether and just enjoy the ones I have. Next year will think again, unless Bob comes again with his insane year ending deals.

Apr 21, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #5,919 of 18,115
So, I was seriously contemplating if I should go for the Elan+. I do have the cash, I could make the payment right now (Although 4 months' waiting time is...difficult, to say the least)...until I took one more listen at the Elan, paired with Nocturnal Audio Acrux cable, out of the M3X balanced. Suddenly I could feel I'm not missing anything. It's perfectly fine. I don't need it to upgrade. It's marvelous as it is, and my itch to go for the Elan+ went away completely. This year I'll probably skip IMR builds altogether and just enjoy the ones I have. Next year will think again, unless Bob comes again with his insane year ending deals.
Great Stuff Ace Bee👍 sometimes we read the description of a new monitor and think its gonna to be the bee all & end all and will be twice as good as what we already own! But this is not the case when we get to the quality of something like the OG Elan! When we are at this sort of quality we are talking a 2-5% difference and this % is probably difference rather than better.
So i think we could all take a leaf out of your book Ace Bee and listen to what we own BEFORE buying the next best thing!
I say all this after ordering EDP Ace lol but the thing with Ace is Price to Performance, i don't think we could ever find a monitor with this configuration for the price? just keeping my fingers crossed the sound is gonna be as good as the configuration?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:03 PM Post #5,920 of 18,115
That’s a very good Idea.
I tried Avalon with DUW-02s.
The clarity went up to uncomfortable. The treble and upper mids ended on the other side of sharp hot. That was a very unpleasant experience after a short listen.

Apr 21, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #5,922 of 18,115
Apr 21, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #5,923 of 18,115
When can we expect the EDP Ace and Zenith II?
Or more:
SHIPS APPROXIMATELY APRIL/MAY 2022 - More details on special builds HERE

I guess mid may.

Apr 21, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #5,924 of 18,115
Or more:
SHIPS APPROXIMATELY APRIL/MAY 2022 - More details on special builds HERE

I guess mid may.
I think I agree with you mid to end May?
It originally said just April and May was added not to long ago so if Bob thought it could still be finished in April i don't think he would have added May to the mix?
I'm 99.9% positive it will be sometime in May cos the Avalon. & DM issue cost him both money & trust so I really don't think it's gonna happen again?

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #5,925 of 18,115
Or we will get it in June and get a Elan+ for free 😋

Only joking!😊

Users who are viewing this thread

Back