Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 21, 2022 at 8:37 AM Post #4,966 of 18,162
Received my Avalon too. The flexibility of the cable has improved a little and I get a good fit compared to Semper. It reminds me Rah a lot
Regarding the sound, out of the box and with reference filters and stock tips, it sounds bright, sometimes too bright. Vocals for me are recessed compared to Semper. So far, I don't like the tuning, but we all know that IMR need a long period of burn-in. I hope that they will become warmer with the time
I think the Avalon are a bit lighter or more balanced naturally (like the OG Rah), so sound better and fuller to me with the bassier bottom filters. I've been running stuff line the Opus Mia and Semper on reference, but think the Avalon will sound most balanced with one of the more fun filter sets. Certainly doesn't feel overly harsh or recessed in the midrange to my ears (and music tastes), but as always, YMMV.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:15 AM Post #4,967 of 18,162
Im’ very sad because I haven’t recieved any update info about shipment status and response to my inquiry from Bob. I’m very disappointed with IMR.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #4,968 of 18,162
Im’ very sad because I haven’t recieved any update info about shipment status and response to my inquiry from Bob. I’m very disappointed with IMR.
I feel for you and it is disappointing but, from all accounts in this thread, it will eventually get to you, and from most accounts, it is usually worth the wait!

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #4,969 of 18,162
Regarding the stock cable, I took an x-acto knife, cut and pulled out the plastic tube part which is close to the shell. Gets rid of the annoying stiffness and results in a decent fit. It was driving me crazy. I have the Dark Matter. Blows the Opus Mia out of the water. Completely. No questions. I too am a big fan of the Rah and what we have here is a rumble in the jungle version. The bone conduction is more like a presence than a sound, but the sub-bass on some live concert recordings is amazing. No bleed into the mids. This with 50hrs burn-in, I know the journey is long, but I've just decided to listen anyway. For me at least, they are that good.

With the OM I felt myself listening to details, wondering if everything soundwise was correct, quite the mathematic journey. The Dark Matter just invites you in, hands you a beer or three and puts you right into the action. Usually I prefer foam tips but for the DM I am using Azla Sedna Fit Short instead of the Tenmak foam tips. Grey-Blue filter combo. Of course after more burning, this may change.

One thing I noticed is that when I first put them in and turn on the music, I think, "this isn't that great, or right" but after 30 seconds or so, the brain burn takes over and I am at once transported deep within the recording. Addictive listening, that's for sure. Sorry to ramble, these are my initial impressions. Oh yeah, a good seal is an absolute must.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #4,970 of 18,162
I feel for you and it is disappointing but, from all accounts in this thread, it will eventually get to you, and from most accounts, it is usually worth the wait!
Your gentle message eases my mind. Thank you very much!

Feb 21, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #4,971 of 18,162
Anybody here owns L&P W2? Needed to know how are they compared to the peers.
At least Compared to Queststylem12 and Sound blaster, it has no to almost no noise, sounds clean with detail and more than enough power at least to drive IMR and a a few other like QDC v14 and MEST series. As for raw power, creative's SX-fi has a little bit more power.

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #4,972 of 18,162
At least Compared to Queststylem12 and Sound blaster, it has no to almost no noise, sounds clean with detail and more than enough power at least to drive IMR and a a few other like QDC v14 and MEST series. As for raw power, creative's SX-fi has a little bit more power.
How is W2's sonical performance compared to SX-FI, apart from power?

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #4,973 of 18,162
Hi everyone glad to hear your all getting your Avalon & DM and initial impressions sound promison.
If anyone is interested i have a brand new set of 'Splash of Gold' for sale, £125 and i will cover shipping in the UK but any international i will leave that to you. I purchased them for my girlfriend, Ex-girlfriend now! She always nicked my IEM'S so i purchased them for her upcoming birthday BUT i discovered she had a secret over the weekend? She has been having a relationship with one of my best friends for the last 6 months😡
So yeah that's that!!!!
They are brand new never used so if anyone is interested drop me a PM and we can sort something out? I'm also gonna put them on ebay.
On a good note, i had a fantastic session with my MEST mk2 & ES100 last night and when i got to The Police 'So Lonely' i have NEVER heard bass like it in my 47 years, quite ironic really😛

Feb 21, 2022 at 1:21 PM Post #4,974 of 18,162
Until I get my Avalon, I try to customize my Semper.
I think Semper has very good sound detail but bloated bass conseals most of them. We can use silver or green nozzle but vocal of Semper becomes dry with them.
To restrict bass bloated, I use “MAKE tuning filter” A-6 of final audio to make the hole of back port semi-open and use sponge to absorb the echo inside the housing. This customize (with red nozzle and blue filter) enables both sweet vocal and powerful bass. I am very satisfied with this customize and I am very happy if someone try this customize.

Attachments

• E3EDC36A-33EA-4C2C-8F3C-45BB92729647.jpeg
    E3EDC36A-33EA-4C2C-8F3C-45BB92729647.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Feb 21, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #4,975 of 18,162
Regarding the stock cable, I took an x-acto knife, cut and pulled out the plastic tube part which is close to the shell. Gets rid of the annoying stiffness and results in a decent fit. It was driving me crazy. I have the Dark Matter. Blows the Opus Mia out of the water. Completely. No questions. I too am a big fan of the Rah and what we have here is a rumble in the jungle version. The bone conduction is more like a presence than a sound, but the sub-bass on some live concert recordings is amazing. No bleed into the mids. This with 50hrs burn-in, I know the journey is long, but I've just decided to listen anyway. For me at least, they are that good.

With the OM I felt myself listening to details, wondering if everything soundwise was correct, quite the mathematic journey. The Dark Matter just invites you in, hands you a beer or three and puts you right into the action. Usually I prefer foam tips but for the DM I am using Azla Sedna Fit Short instead of the Tenmak foam tips. Grey-Blue filter combo. Of course after more burning, this may change.

One thing I noticed is that when I first put them in and turn on the music, I think, "this isn't that great, or right" but after 30 seconds or so, the brain burn takes over and I am at once transported deep within the recording. Addictive listening, that's for sure. Sorry to ramble, these are my initial impressions. Oh yeah, a good seal is an absolute must.

Could please take some pics on how you mod the stock cable?

Feb 21, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #4,977 of 18,162
So i want say immediatly that my reference iem are the wonderful Semper. For my personal taste the Imr Semper is really fantastic pairing with my Dx300Max. From this morning I left the avalon connected to my pc (with an iBasso DC-04 dongle) for about 6 hours of burn-in. Now I am earing some music jumping from Ahmad Jamal to Michel Petrucciani with the same configuration that I use for the semper; low-purple/up-red and.... I have to admit that Bob did a wonderful job!!!! The bass are smooth, deep and finished. The Mids are so clear, heavy and present and the Highs are really transparent, clean ... never annoying. But the thing that made my ears say WOW is a fantastic soundstage... so wide and real. I wouldn't want to stop listening but the supper (and my wife) can't wait...... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

Feb 21, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #4,979 of 18,162
So i want say immediatly that my reference iem are the wonderful Semper. For my personal taste the Imr Semper is really fantastic pairing with my Dx300Max. From this morning I left the avalon connected to my pc (with an iBasso DC-04 dongle) for about 6 hours of burn-in. Now I am earing some music jumping from Ahmad Jamal to Michel Petrucciani with the same configuration that I use for the semper; low-purple/up-red and.... I have to admit that Bob did a wonderful job!!!! The bass are smooth, deep and finished. The Mids are so clear, heavy and present and the Highs are really transparent, clean ... never annoying. But the thing that made my ears say WOW is a fantastic soundstage... so wide and real. I wouldn't want to stop listening but the supper (and my wife) can't wait...... :ksc75smile::ksc75smile:
I agree with you. Semper is an amazing IEM. I have sold all of my IEMs and kept only Semper and now have Avalon. I don't think that an IEM will make me sell Semper in the future

Feb 21, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #4,980 of 18,162
I do, it definitely sounds way better than most mid range daps. Dongle wise, w2 and pee51 are apart from the pack, totally high end sounding
have you heard the RU6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back