Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 8, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #4,126 of 18,013
Just crossed my mind that HEDDphone is actually full range AMT HP isnt it. And it can pack a decent punch down low. So seeing how Stingrays AMT driver is 10mm, i somehow doubt this size is needed for tweeter alone.

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #4,127 of 18,013
Just crossed my mind that HEDDphone is actually full range AMT HP isnt it. And it can pack a decent punch down low. So seeing how Stingrays AMT driver is 10mm, i somehow doubt this size is needed for tweeter alone.
I have the GoldPlanar GL850 headphone which also is full range AMT driver. I can say that it does all frequencies superbly. So I was thinking I don't need est drivers in Stingray. But the tuning scenario is of course quite different between headphone and iem. And apparently Stingray needs a dd for bass, so does it benefit noticeably from est drivers too?

Nov 8, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #4,128 of 18,013
I have the GoldPlanar GL850 headphone which also is full range AMT driver. I can say that it does all frequencies superbly. So I was thinking I don't need est drivers in Stingray. But the tuning scenario is of course quite different between headphone and iem. And apparently Stingray needs a dd for bass, so does it benefit noticeably from est drivers too?
So far any est iem i demoed i prefer its treble a lot more than BA, DD or piezo. Never hear IMR take on estats though.
Besides its not just about covering certain FR.
Multiple drivers should in theory allow achieve better separation and layering easier. But of course its not just down to driver count.

Im jist wondering what will that mean tuning wise.
I would actually quite prefer technical revealing tuning with boosted subbass. As long as it avoids any nasty peaks and not ending up clinical. But fairly technical. Something W shape perhaps? Dunno its a tricky one without tuning nozzles haha.
Just because i think such a rainbow of drivers would be wasted on some dark tuning

After all the price of Stingray is a good jump even from Avalon. Might as well make it worth its while.

What do you recon guys. What kind of tuning you would expect from Stingray?

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #4,129 of 18,013
Hi,

Does someone know a good upgrade cable that fits the IMR monitors? I recently bought a cable from Nicehck but it doesn't fit because of the plastic on the 2-pin connector. I have scrapped the plastic with a little knife but it is not the ideal situation

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211026-111429_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211026-111429_Gallery.jpg
    776.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20210902_095923.jpg
    20210902_095923.jpg
    867.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #4,130 of 18,013
What is the problem here exactly? This is what I've been doing with cables used with my IMR earphones, myself: file the corners of the plastic housing so it fits in the IMR socket and sits there securely.
The only cable I didn't have to do this with was the Dunu Hulk, which I used to use with my Semper. All other cables I've tried with IMRs needed some filing to fit.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #4,131 of 18,013
What is the problem here exactly? This is what I've been doing with cables used with my IMR earphones, myself: file the corners of the plastic housing so it fits securely in the IMR socket and sits there securely.
The only cable I didn't have to do this with was the Dunu Hulk, which I used to use with my Semper. All other cables I've tried with IMRs needed some filing to fit.
It feels a bit fragile so want to know if there are good cables with a flat 2 pin connector or the same 2 pin connector of the delivered IMR cable. Can you send a photo of 2 the pin ?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #4,132 of 18,013
I don't know what the sockets look like on that particular earphone model, but XINHS on AliExpress can make 2-pin cables with the connector that utilises the shorter plastic base. Maybe those will be more suitable.

Nov 9, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #4,133 of 18,013
It feels a bit fragile so want to know if there are good cables with a flat 2 pin connector or the same 2 pin connector of the delivered IMR cable. Can you send a photo of 2 the pin ?
You can also reach out to Null-Audio. They have a particular connector for IMR iems that they’ll fit at no extra charge upon request, and they’re quick and nice too.

Nov 9, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #4,135 of 18,013
You can also reach out to Null-Audio. They have a particular connector for IMR iems that they’ll fit at no extra charge upon request, and they’re quick and nice too.
Thanks! Good tip. I already have a Null audio cable for my sennheiser IE80s. Good cable but the Y-splitter is too heavy for on the go use. Good to know that they can offer a IMR connector

Attachments

• 1636457335243536936556988555855.jpg
    1636457335243536936556988555855.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #4,137 of 18,013
https://imracoustics.com/products/event-horizon

£500 for the base headphones, will be interesting to see the price for the Planar version and the degree to which it will be modular.
We’re beyond Dark Matter now, Bob has channeled cosmic energy to offer the very first black-hole powered dynamic driver. Don’t think of the “Planar” addition as a regular planar either, it actually is a driver formed by travelling to another plane and back, like the ship from the movie.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #4,138 of 18,013
We’re beyond Dark Matter now, Bob has channeled cosmic energy to offer the very first black-hole powered dynamic driver. Don’t think of the “Planar” addition as a regular planar either, it actually is a driver formed by travelling to another plane and back, like the ship from the movie.
Hope we are about to be spaghettised by IMR's new releases.

Nov 11, 2021 at 8:47 AM Post #4,139 of 18,013
Bone conduction is for amateurs, the new Quantum entanglement driver projects the sound directly into your DNA.

Nov 11, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #4,140 of 18,013
Just enjoyed a hi-res playback of Gilmour's lush On An Island with the Elan. Dave's inimitable guitar sounded so good and his vocals where right on target. And everything else, of course.

Still early days with the Elan (under 200 hours), but so far I think the one word I would use to describe them is presence.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back