Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 12, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #4,141 of 18,013
So, I got my Splash Of Red yesterday. Right after taking the delivery from Post Office I opened it and started to try right away. After answering some curiosities from the surrounding strangers, finally, when I could focus on the sound...I was troubled. The left earpiece was not having a good seal and all the bass seemed concentrated on the right! At times I was afraid that I got a bad unit or what!

Well, my heart sank. But the initial impression of the sound was still quite good. So I tried different nozzle combinations, and finally, after reading the suggestion prvided in the booklet, I settled on the Grey bottom filter and Blue top filter. For tips, I found out that longer nozzle and wider flange is what I require to get a perfect seal. Had to use a Magaosi tip I had in my collection. Curse my left ear!! Azla Sednaearfit Light M also provides very good seal, but hurts very slightly after prolonged usage.

And finally, I could enjoy the sound, and suffice to say I was appropriately mindblown! The bass was near perfect! I was afraid that Just north of neutral may mean a linear bass response, but I could not be more wrong! A healthy dose of bass with sufficient punch and rumble, very nice body coupled with speed makes it agile yet satisfactorily full bodied.
Midrange is OPEN and TRANSPARENT! Such an amazing clarity! Such crisp notes and details! Such boldly defined notes! And the wide and deep stage! Took my breath away literally! Incredible separation as well! Treble response is well extended as well while having sufficient energy. The upper-mids have some hotness that is stinging a bit, but I am expecting it to go away with Burn-in. If not, I will try swapping the Blue with Red top filter and see how it sounds. But frankly, for 169 GBP / 226 USD, I am more than impressed!

Will put it on burn in from tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Till then I will listen to it. Below are some shots I took this afternoon.

20211112_152715.jpg

20211112_152901.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #4,142 of 18,013
Just enjoyed a hi-res playback of Gilmour's lush On An Island with the Elan. Dave's inimitable guitar sounded so good and his vocals where right on target. And everything else, of course.

Still early days with the Elan (under 200 hours), but so far I think the one word I would use to describe them is presence.
If you’re into David Gilmour, you could try his 1978 album David Gilmour. IMR rendered most of the tracks superbly.

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #4,143 of 18,013
If you’re into David Gilmour, you could try his 1978 album David Gilmour. IMR rendered most of the tracks superbly.

I did that a couple weeks back and yes, sound was awesome. But, I know On An Island inside and out, so that experience was a little more noteworthy.

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #4,144 of 18,013
So, I got my Splash Of Red yesterday. Right after taking the delivery from Post Office I opened it and started to try right away. After answering some curiosities from the surrounding strangers, finally, when I could focus on the sound...I was troubled. The left earpiece was not having a good seal and all the bass seemed concentrated on the right! At times I was afraid that I got a bad unit or what!

Well, my heart sank. But the initial impression of the sound was still quite good. So I tried different nozzle combinations, and finally, after reading the suggestion prvided in the booklet, I settled on the Grey bottom filter and Blue top filter. For tips, I found out that longer nozzle and wider flange is what I require to get a perfect seal. Had to use a Magaosi tip I had in my collection. Curse my left ear!! Azla Sednaearfit Light M also provides very good seal, but hurts very slightly after prolonged usage.

And finally, I could enjoy the sound, and suffice to say I was appropriately mindblown! The bass was near perfect! I was afraid that Just north of neutral may mean a linear bass response, but I could not be more wrong! A healthy dose of bass with sufficient punch and rumble, very nice body coupled with speed makes it agile yet satisfactorily full bodied.
Midrange is OPEN and TRANSPARENT! Such an amazing clarity! Such crisp notes and details! Such boldly defined notes! And the wide and deep stage! Took my breath away literally! Incredible separation as well! Treble response is well extended as well while having sufficient energy. The upper-mids have some hotness that is stinging a bit, but I am expecting it to go away with Burn-in. If not, I will try swapping the Blue with Red top filter and see how it sounds. But frankly, for 169 GBP / 226 USD, I am more than impressed!

Will put it on burn in from tomorrow or day after tomorrow. Till then I will listen to it. Below are some shots I took this afternoon.

20211112_152715.jpg

20211112_152901.jpg

Wow, wondering if I should feel jealous about the SOR vs. the Elan I have. The Elan is definitely special, though.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #4,145 of 18,013

20211112_152715.jpg

20211112_152901.jpg
Cable roll, the shozy black hole mini cable loves this pair. I use em with quite an array of tips, even spiral dots love em. If that doesn't tame a bit the treble, just switch to the gold filter top before going red.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #4,146 of 18,013
Cable roll, the shozy black hole mini cable loves this pair. I use em with quite an array of tips, even spiral dots love em. If that doesn't tame a bit the treble, just switch to the gold filter top before going red.
Will try. For now sticking withthe current cable. Spiral Dots did not provide a good fit in my left ear - looks like soft flanges are not givin a good seal. Will try the gold filter before going to red.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,147 of 18,013
Will try. For now sticking withthe current cable. Spiral Dots did not provide a good fit in my left ear - looks like soft flanges are not givin a good seal. Will try the gold filter before going to red.
try the tips that came with the 634 Ears Sarn II, the transparent pink one, that gives a fairly good seal for me. Whizzer Easytips ET100 gives me the most stable fit, Whizzer Easytips SS20 also a pretty good seal, that give a pretty wide soundstage.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #4,148 of 18,013
try the tips that came with the 634 Ears Sarn II, the transparent pink one, that gives a fairly good seal for me. Whizzer Easytips ET100 gives me the most stable fit, Whizzer Easytips SS20 also a pretty good seal, that give a pretty wide soundstage.
The whirlwind tips, nope, shallow fit / short nozzle. I need long nozzle + wide flange.

Nov 12, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #4,149 of 18,013

Try using foams or that A08 tips you sent me from BGVP, they worked great with the Ozar.
EDIT: long nozzle and wide flange - hmm seems like RHA tips might do the job and yes the foam tips haha

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #4,150 of 18,013
Try using foams or that A08 tips you sent me from BGVP, they worked great with the Ozar.
EDIT: long nozzle and wide flange - hmm seems like RHA tips might do the job and yes the foam tips haha
Both of them have slimmer flanges, so unfortunately, they won't.

Nov 12, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #4,151 of 18,013
After the Splash Of Red, I am highly interested in the Elan. Can anyone who have both explain how much improved the Elan is over SOR and in what way?

Nov 15, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #4,152 of 18,013
Nov 21, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #4,153 of 18,013
My friends, I got a pair of 7Hz Timeless last week. Have to say, they're giving the Elan a run for their money (at 1/4 the price). To be fair to the IMR, I'm at less than 200 hours, so need to stick with them. Definitely not putting them back in the case.

If you don't know, the Timeless is a planar IEM with a 14.2 mm driver. Decent package, mine with a 4.4 termination. The bottom end is very tasty, and the rest of the spectrum is a delight as well. Headphones.com just did a review, calling it "a real hidden gem."

Time (no pun intended) will tell....

photo_2021-11-16_10-43-35.jpg

Nov 21, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #4,154 of 18,013
Its a very interesting IEM for sure - One of the gems to come out of China although from critical listening I found that
the Timeless 7Hz is one the best IEMs that 'SOUNDS LIKE' a kinda TOTL IEM but . . . it isn't.
It certainly emulates some of the qualities of much higher IEMs
Its very good and enjoyable to listen to and as long as you don't try to take it TOO seriously its a great IEM. Out of the box its fairly V shaped but after 300 hours it becomes much flatter over all
It a great ChiFi though thats for sure :)

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #4,155 of 18,013
My friends, I got a pair of 7Hz Timeless last week. Have to say, they're giving the Elan a run for their money (at 1/4 the price). To be fair to the IMR, I'm at less than 200 hours, so need to stick with them. Definitely not putting them back in the case.

If you don't know, the Timeless is a planar IEM with a 14.2 mm driver. Decent package, mine with a 4.4 termination. The bottom end is very tasty, and the rest of the spectrum is a delight as well. Headphones.com just did a review, calling it "a real hidden gem."

Time (no pun intended) will tell....

The upper mids and highs of Timeless were spectacularly open, air, and sparkling at initial listen, but after that it became a bit too sharp and fatiguing. It wow-ed me, but couldn't hold me back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back