Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 19, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #3,751 of 18,013
I agree with you there, just switching from my old windows laptop which shipped with Windows 7 to the Mac and no other changes to the set up and outputting into the DAC with both set ups the quality or maybe enjoyment went up a few notches.
I know it does not sound as good but it surpasses my admittedly low threshold easily so Apple as you say do a fantastic job.

I am at the point of My Red's are the perfect bluetooth set up, My PB1 i really enjoy from the MAC for general Youtube listening which obviously the quality on there is all over the place but the good sounds great and the bad sounds good which surprises me with the Planar, great synergy though, my Zenith i love out of the Mixer amplifier and the Aten loves the power of the 789 amplifier but i know the Elan would love it even more and then i could use the BTR5 as an Amp/DAC with the Aten.

Apple did a poor job with the chip in the ipod 6th gen which i think if i recall correctly is also a CS chip, all other ipods before the 6 had the Wolfson chip.
I picked one of the THE 'audiophile' wolfson Dac chip ipods but wasn't hugely impressed, although had a lot of IEM's since then which I havent used on it (keep it for podcasts and audiobooks now! (What's that Grandad??) :D
I think i mentioned before, I only found out recently my Uncle IS Wolfson - its his company !! o_0 I guess it runs in the family
Nighty night x

Aug 19, 2021 at 9:23 PM Post #3,752 of 18,013
I picked one of the THE 'audiophile' wolfson Dac chip ipods but wasn't hugely impressed, although had a lot of IEM's since then which I havent used on it (keep it for podcasts and audiobooks now! (What's that Grandad??) :D
I think i mentioned before, I only found out recently my Uncle IS Wolfson - its his company !! o_0 I guess it runs in the family
Nighty night x

Hahaha but do you tell him this.... and if you think it was bad, mine is worse, much worse.

The night is but young though !!!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #3,753 of 18,013
He does not like or respect Bob at all - Maybe he is also one of these people who will not give an IEM the Burn in it needs? He must be busy
Anyway, it is very strange that he gives negative reviews of them - Maybe WE are ALL wrong ? :wink:
I have been wrong 4 times already, yet IMR predominantly are my go to sets that I listen too.
I still continue to burn in the Elan, but their performance have me really intrigued about the Dark Matter now.
The upper range continues to open up to more layering and detail. Much in the same way I experienced with the TinHifi T4.
I'm now imagining the possibilities of what double CNT drivers will do...

Aug 20, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #3,754 of 18,013
Do you agree with me that the small cmt adlc driver in Dark Matter will not outperform the EST in Avalon in the mid-high frequencies? I think that the sound of Dark Matter would be rather darker as its name suggests

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #3,755 of 18,013
Do you agree with me that the small cmt adlc driver in Dark Matter will not outperform the EST in Avalon in the mid-high frequencies? I think that the sound of Dark Matter would be rather darker as its name suggests
I'm not quite sure i would say having the CNT driver in DM will make it a darker sounding iem, these driver can be tuned well for high frequency presentation especially with the ADLC Diaphram, detailing will also be very high with this driver. In comparison to the EST there will be a marked improvement in extension, resolution and will also edge it when it comes to reilism. One think the EST will Absaloutly smash it and any other driver including the best B.A,s is instrument separation! Nothing comes close , in my eyes anyway😎 hope this helps?

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #3,756 of 18,013
Hi friends

To those who have Opus Mia, is it worth going for ELAN?

Since the RAH in my country is at a similar price to the ELAN, as I said before, I want it for Metal and its derivatives.

Could someone describe the qualities of Opus Mia vs Elan?

Greetings friends :D

Aug 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #3,757 of 18,013
Hi friends

Since the RAH in my country is at a similar price to the ELAN, as I said before, I want it for Metal and its derivatives.

Unfortunately i done own the Elan but there are a few here who HIGHLY rate it. As far as the Opus Mia goes it in PHENOMENAL without dout one of my favorite IEM'S! The Bass & Sub-Bass is the best iv heard and not just quality although that is huge! But its the quality AND Quality. The control after 300hrs burn in is sublime with fantastic texture and detailing. I don't listen to any metal so others will need to comment but, you may have a problem with Speed? I listen to a lot of bass music in particular Drum&Bass and although OM can handle multiple Basslines at once if the track is very complex and reaching a high BPM it can sometimes struggle, its decay lingers a bit and can cause issues! Its the same with my Bass Cannon's which both have the Aten driver, it sometimes struggles with fast complexity and from what i know about Metal even if i don't listen it is its can be fast & complex!
With all that said, what i know about CNT Drivers and what people have said here who own Elan it could quite well be a better iem for metal?

Aug 21, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #3,758 of 18,013
Hi friends

Hi :)
I own both - I would say YES! they both offer something different. Opus is like analog purity where as Elan is like digital purity
OM is close to perfection for enjoyment where as the Elan is technically more advanced
I think the Rah is too close to the OM in comparison to the Elan

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #3,760 of 18,013
Hello friends, thank you very much for your answers, how do you see Opus Mia and Elan for Metal music and all its variants?

Which one do you consider best for those genres?
If you could ask again in about 10 days - Im still burning in my Elans
Its hard to say - it depends what specific elements you specifically enjoy within Metal music itself
do you like fast or big low - do you just want to hear raw power - do you want to hear all the instruments clearly within, even a busy track?
TBH both Elan and OM are incredible IEMs that make any genre sound amazing
The only was you can know if from listening to a fully burned in set with the filters that suit you best

Personally - i prefer the [all be it subtle] warmer more analog sound of Bob's Aten driver IEMs such as the Opos Mia and the Semper
But
I also love the clarity and accuracy and immersion of the newer ADLC/CNT & BC drivers

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #3,761 of 18,013
If you could ask again in about 10 days - Im still burning in my Elans
Its hard to say - it depends what specific elements you specifically enjoy within Metal music itself
do you like fast or big low - do you just want to hear raw power - do you want to hear all the instruments clearly within, even a busy track?
TBH both Elan and OM are incredible IEMs that make any genre sound amazing
The only was you can know if from listening to a fully burned in set with the filters that suit you best

Personally - i prefer the [all be it subtle] warmer more analog sound of Bob's Aten driver IEMs such as the Opos Mia and the Semper
But
I also love the clarity and accuracy and immersion of the newer ADLC/CNT & BC drivers
Hello, thank you very much for answering, the genres that are mainly: Avenged Sevenfold, Nightwish, Disturbed, Powerwolf, System Of a Down, Epica, Megadeth, Slipknot, Trivium, Korn, Bullet for my valentine, Turisas, Five Finger Death Punch.

These are some of the groups I would use them with.

What nozzle combination do you use for METAL?

On my OPUS MIA and Red I use SILVER below and BLUE above.

Aug 23, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #3,762 of 18,013
Hello, thank you very much for answering, the genres that are mainly: Avenged Sevenfold, Nightwish, Disturbed, Powerwolf, System Of a Down, Epica, Megadeth, Slipknot, Trivium, Korn, Bullet for my valentine, Turisas, Five Finger Death Punch.

These are some of the groups I would use them with.
What nozzle combination do you use for METAL?
On my OPUS MIA and Red I use SILVER below and BLUE above.
Cool - will check a few of them out and give you my humble opinion.
What are you using to play them on?
Will be interesting for me to have a good listen and see how well they work with this genre as its a new one for me
Any specifc (well mastered) ones you would recommend - for a metal noob? :)

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #3,763 of 18,013

very interesting question - Quick answer - you never know with Bob !! but I think he may have answered this on facebook? Maybe

Im still burning in Elan and Semper and its something Ive been thinking about a lot - the differences between Bobs previous ATEN IEMs and his new ADLC / CNT line.

So far Im thinking that the ADLC/CNT gives a higher 'technical' performance whilst the ATEN/ELECOTRSAT/PLANAR gives a more natural organic sound BUT while still maintaining equal standards of quality

so Im not sure you can really say one 'out performs' exactly - the other - maybe more that each does something special in its own field
I think if possible, and you can own both an Aten driver and a newer ADLC / CNT driver iem you have 2 complimentary IEMs that suite different musics and moods at different times. They are quite different but also unmistakably IMR
I would love to hear other peoples findings in the differences between them

In a way the Aten led IEM's suite modern cleaner recordings and the cleaner more advanced ADLC/CNT drivers suite more older warmer music!
a bit like selecting a microphone in a studio to help a vocalists particular vocal characteristics

Im enjoying them all
Ive been listening to my Opus Mia's a bit more of late and have found them superbly balanced in tone etc etc sitting perfectly between the Semper and the Elan
Still burning in others as I say and have had to change the filters a couple of times due to changes in sound during burn in so Im looking forward to hearing how the end up sounding once fully settled in
:)

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #3,764 of 18,013
very interesting question - Quick answer - you never know with Bob !! but I think he may have answered this on facebook? Maybe

Im still burning in Elan and Semper and its something Ive been thinking about a lot - the differences between Bobs previous ATEN IEMs and his new ADLC / CNT line.

So far Im thinking that the ADLC/CNT gives a higher 'technical' performance whilst the ATEN/ELECOTRSAT/PLANAR gives a more natural organic sound BUT while still maintaining equal standards of quality

so Im not sure you can really say one 'out performs' exactly - the other - maybe more that each does something special in its own field
I think if possible, and you can own both an Aten driver and a newer ADLC / CNT driver iem you have 2 complimentary IEMs that suite different musics and moods at different times. They are quite different but also unmistakably IMR
I would love to hear other peoples findings in the differences between them

In a way the Aten led IEM's suite modern cleaner recordings and the cleaner more advanced ADLC/CNT drivers suite more older warmer music!
a bit like selecting a microphone in a studio to help a vocalists particular vocal characteristics

Im enjoying them all
Ive been listening to my Opus Mia's a bit more of late and have found them superbly balanced in tone etc etc sitting perfectly between the Semper and the Elan
Still burning in others as I say and have had to change the filters a couple of times due to changes in sound during burn in so Im looking forward to hearing how the end up sounding once fully settled in
:)
If you don’t mind me asking, did you buy Semper new? How does is compare to Elan, especially in midrange tonality?
Are you getting any sibilance with Semper?

Aug 23, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #3,765 of 18,013
If you don’t mind me asking, did you buy Semper new? How does is compare to Elan, especially in midrange tonality?
Are you getting any sibilance with Semper?

Bought 2nd hand - seller used sparingly for around 100 hours - so giving them another 200-400 hours :)
I need to think about this - They both have shown very natural tonality yet quite different - Kind of what i trying to express - they both have had moments of incredible purity and a natural tonality that is just perfect - Maybe with Elan so sweet yet clean but with Semper so warm and rich
No sibilance at all - about 200 hour in - pink lower/blue upper - 4.4mm balanced - Sony player
I think by the end of this week in general and by the end of next week I'll have a more reliable and clearer idea
An added complication is the variety of music I listen to - mostly vinyl rips / DSDs / folk-rock-modern classical-etc etc
So many different textures - from soft warm 1970's rock to clean modern stuff like...FKA Twigs for example
Not easy to find the right balance to make it all sound balanced !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back