• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 9, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #3,286 of 18,013
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #3,287 of 18,013
Im happy to announce that...

Papa ASTRA is a Daddy !

This morning beautiful twins were delivered
A lovely little pair of IEM's called 'Knight'

Have to say Im Blown away by their sound out of the box - Almost perfect. reminds me the R2 Aten but better. The only thing that needs doing is for that ADLC initial 'brittle-nous' / sharpness / in the highs to smooth over with burn in
The synergy with my 'travel' DAP is perfect so . . . Job done
Astra for those special inside times and an IEM that is Audiophile enough to not miss the Astra whilst out and about or travelling.
VERY impressed by the Knight
You can't really see in the photo but they are tiny :) cute

knight.JPG

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #3,288 of 18,013
Im happy to announce that...

Papa ASTRA is a Daddy !

This morning beautiful twins were delivered
A lovely little pair of IEM's called 'Knight'

Have to say Im Blown away by their sound out of the box - Almost perfect. reminds me the R2 Aten but better. The only thing that needs doing is for that ADLC initial 'brittle-nous' / sharpness / in the highs to smooth over with burn in
The synergy with my 'travel' DAP is perfect so . . . Job done
Astra for those special inside times and an IEM that is Audiophile enough to not miss the Astra whilst out and about or travelling.
VERY impressed by the Knight
You can't really see in the photo but they are tiny :) cute

Have you tried them closed back yet? They do look like the PERFECT travel companion if they can be isolated.

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #3,289 of 18,013
Have you tried them closed back yet? They do look like the PERFECT travel companion if they can be isolated.

Yup - straight to closed back :wink: - Not much difference between open in terms of space
I can't believe how perfect they sound OOTB but then in some ways I was also more impressed with the Aten R2
than any of Bobs others - (in terms of over all balance) All the others are master pieces in their own rights but in specific ways

They really are stunningly good though

Jul 9, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #3,290 of 18,013
I see you went red bottom, I’m in the same route, for a 6mm driver, they do pack a punch and i love how they are evolving, easily one of the best daily drivers I’ve got, this along the 7hz i88 mini are taking my everyday walk with the dogs and house shores time

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #3,291 of 18,013
After some days of usage - harsh highs are starting to getting under control (sad for me since I loved em. great for anime musics) and lows are starting to grow up! Still bright and it's super amazing!
IMG_0033.jpeg

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #3,292 of 18,013
wow @jon parker you like the Knight better than the Aten? I was about to tag @AlexCBSN to ask how they compared to the Zenith. Impressive compliment! How do you guys feel the Knight compare to/improve upon the previous gens?

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:39 AM Post #3,293 of 18,013
I see you went red bottom, I’m in the same route, for a 6mm driver, they do pack a punch and i love how they are evolving, easily one of the best daily drivers I’ve got, this along the 7hz i88 mini are taking my everyday walk with the dogs and house shores time

I don't know if you quoting me or holsen :) but I always start with red/red to give me an idea of where the tuning is
I haven't wanted to change that combo yet (30 hours later) - Its kind of perfect although sometimes I would like a little more low end but it can tricky balancing low end weight, impact, quality and quantity. Personally, when I listen to music I don't want anything to be a distraction from the music as a whole
Anyway - the fact that I could 100% happily go from listening to the Astra to then go for a walk with the Knight and not feel like Im missing out on or degrading my quality of listening is mind blowing :D

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #3,294 of 18,013
wow @jon parker you like the Knight better than the Aten? I was about to tag @AlexCBSN to ask how they compared to the Zenith. Impressive compliment! How do you guys feel the Knight compare to/improve upon the previous gens?

I Red 2 Aten will always have a special in my heart (had to sell to help pay for Astra) :frowning2: but yes Im finding there are elements that are 'better'. The soundstage is wider and the separation and clarity and purity of different instruments is improved. One thing in particular is how cleanly an individual instrument can appear completely in its own space far left or right of the soundstage.
The vocals are natural, maybe a bit cleaner
The low end is I think what takes the longest to mature with the ADLC but thus far (including the Astra) - the Sub bass has this visable texture which makes me just wanna bite it - you can SEE the different textures of each sub bass note
The mid bass - ie: bass guitars are perfectly balanced and rendered in the mix
As I say I am VERY impressed and beyond happy to have such a portable and genuinely Audiophile quality IEM in ym collection
For portable and travelling its taken me some time to finally get there. The Knight paired with the new Hiby Sabre Pro is a fantastic collab. 2.5mm balanced, latest sabre dac chip and a longer battery life make the Hiby the perfect travel DAP

Edit: I still think the Aten R2 is a wonderfully natural and organic sounding IEM and a real keeper but technically the Knight does shows improvements in certain areas

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #3,297 of 18,013
It sounds like you need the Elan.

It is that the main thing that catches the attention of the gentleman is their price with coupon, and that they are smaller and I think they are more comfortable than the R2 Aten / Red.

The Elan is more expensive for me, I know that Bob gives excellent products for the money offered but if I would spend 500 dollars it would be in the Over Ear of IMR hehehehe.

Greetings Friend: D

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3,298 of 18,013
I don't know if you quoting me or holsen :) but I always start with red/red to give me an idea of where the tuning is
I haven't wanted to change that combo yet (30 hours later) - Its kind of perfect although sometimes I would like a little more low end but it can tricky balancing low end weight, impact, quality and quantity. Personally, when I listen to music I don't want anything to be a distraction from the music as a whole
Anyway - the fact that I could 100% happily go from listening to the Astra to then go for a walk with the Knight and not feel like Im missing out on or degrading my quality of listening is mind blowing :D
yeah i was quoting you. sorry, i didnt tagged you

i was blown away that the knights have way better mids than the atens (1st edition)

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #3,299 of 18,013
its quite different, soundstage is wider on knights, though my zeniths are taller (500+ hours burn in / custom filter) impact its nicer in the zenith though, i already have that one quite figured out, the bass its more of a back of the house texture that covers the whole soundstage (i might be explaining my self in a weird way... still is funny how i perceive it) mids are way more crunchy on knights, zenith has this 4k peak that im always working around with new foam types and different things on the filter. right now im in the "stable with good source" side. treble is the same in both, me being a treble sensitive person ...

overall both are impressive pieces of gear, and for the first time im not taking out my zenith as much, im juggling with the knight and the BC, is addictive, its like bass head candy... sour candies (which im addicted to)

Jul 10, 2021 at 11:47 AM Post #3,300 of 18,013
Hello
I currently have several imr items, the knight is better than the R2 RED?
Is it worth the jump to the Knight?

I have R2 Aten / Red, New Aten purple, and Opus Mia.
Hi :) Good question. IMO
You don't need the Knight in regards to size, portability etc
Where you would benefit is a uniquely clean, pure, tight and refined sound signature with a markedly wide soundstage , even closed back - from the ADLC
You would end up with one more IMR that will still give you a unique sound signature in amongst the R2, Aten and OM
I think the Aten is fairly close in terms of over all quality but the ADLC driver with its super hard material does give it some very nice qualities that, as I say would be different enough to make their own mark in amongst the others you already own
I will say though that you would not be missing out by NOT buying the Knight
The differences are subtle between all the IMR's but if you have the ear for and appreciation to hear and appreciate each unique signature then...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back