Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #3,046 of 18,497
My Elysium arrived last week. I've been burning them in, using them and comparing them to my Mia's. The Mia's have bigger bass, more treble and bigger soundstage. The Elysiums, so far, have much more/better mids, especially vocals. Vocals on Mia sound too low in comparison. The bass on Elysium isn't as big but sounds more controlled. The highs, so far, aren't impressing me on Elysium. I'm missing the highs of the Mias on the Elysium, and the soundstage. Hopefully, things will improve with burn-in. I specifically got the Elysiums for the planar as I wanted contrast with my Mia's. I was afraid the Astras would sound too similar to the Mia's. As far as the bone conduction, I was expecting something more. I'm not noticing anything spectacular, hopefully that will improve over time as well. I really do like the Elysiums though.
Have you had any other planars? On the RAH, the treble is quite clear and extended, but it is assisted by the Piezo. How many hours have you got on the Elysium so far? I suspect that as more hours come upon them, that ADLC operating at full range will perk up a bit and the planar will extend. I'll know soon enough as I'm expecting delivery this week - tough to say though as Canada Post and Royal Mail don't send tracking data back and forth. I ordered two pkgs from AliEx last week and they are both being delivered (free) today with full tracking Door to Door. Crazy.
Anyway, keep us posted on how the Elysiums keep developing.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #3,047 of 18,497
My Elysium arrived last week. I've been burning them in, using them and comparing them to my Mia's. The Mia's have bigger bass, more treble and bigger soundstage. The Elysiums, so far, have much more/better mids, especially vocals. Vocals on Mia sound too low in comparison. The bass on Elysium isn't as big but sounds more controlled. The highs, so far, aren't impressing me on Elysium. I'm missing the highs of the Mias on the Elysium, and the soundstage. Hopefully, things will improve with burn-in. I specifically got the Elysiums for the planar as I wanted contrast with my Mia's. I was afraid the Astras would sound too similar to the Mia's. As far as the bone conduction, I was expecting something more. I'm not noticing anything spectacular, hopefully that will improve over time as well. I really do like the Elysiums though.
What nozzle/filter do you use? I think blue nozzle brings very good basses and with green filter, it has a lot of treble.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #3,048 of 18,497
Blimey glad all was ok. I've had that happen with a few pairs over the years and it's bad enough when it is a pair you could buy again despite the cost but something like the Semper can you get another pair?
Yep, very lucky that I got away with no cosmetic damage as well.
Mostly "Comfortably lounging and ready to enjoy" mode with the Sempers now.

Jun 29, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #3,050 of 18,497
Black for bass blue for treble, which is maximum bass and maximum treble
OMG Guys i need your help? 9 Astra's have just come available! Due i pop on one of these or do i wait for the new line up? I don't even know if the new model's will include Bone Con! This will be my biggest outlay for IEM'S so i wanna get it wright?

Jun 29, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #3,051 of 18,497
OMG Guys i need your help? 9 Astra's have just come available! Due i pop on one of these or do i wait for the new line up? I don't even know if the new model's will include Bone Con! This will be my biggest outlay for IEM'S so i wanna get it wright?
Impressions and reviews are just starting to roll in on the latest releases so it's early days BUT there is a well established IMR history now and it's safe to say that Bob's limited number unique releases offer exceptional value, superlative sound and second to none customer service wrapped in incredible tuning. Forgetting about whatever he might come up with next if I had my eyes on an EST Tribrid Set right now and were to make a purchase decision between Volt, UM Mest mkii and Astra - it would be astra all the way, even having never heard them. I've had good sessions with both the Volt and Mest. I really like them both but go back and read Bob's description. He usually undercommits in his statements - and he made some big promises in his description of the Astra. If you're on the fence between what is and what might be coming and you have budget - I'd say go for it, you cant go wrong - if you dont like them within 30 days, he'll take them back ..... no one else in this business will do that.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 4:56 PM Post #3,053 of 18,497
I would say go for it, but as Tiaa says talk to him, I just got them 20 minutes ago, FINALLY, and yes they sound as their name implies! And I'm still way early in the bake-in period, but just as a good cake smells awesome even in the oven, that is happening here!!

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:20 PM Post #3,054 of 18,497
And They look freakin Amazing! Cant wait to hear the sound impreessions as they fully mature. Following all the other EST iem threads, those sonion elctrostats also benefit from burn-in so it'll be fun to join you on the Astra Journey. Still waiting on my Elysium but should be close..... oh so close.....
Yes that is what is so stunning about these. The estats in Semper, Halcyon & Mest needed around 300 hours to reach full sound so there is more to come.

The Astra & Elysium are a great combo & compliment each other very well. They play to the strengths of their drivers & Bob's descriptions are pretty spot on. Hope you get yours soon.

Jun 29, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #3,055 of 18,497
Yes that is what is so stunning about these. The estats in Semper, Halcyon & Mest needed around 300 hours to reach full sound so there is more to come.

The Astra & Elysium are a great combo & compliment each other very well. They play to the strengths of their drivers & Bob's descriptions are pretty spot on. Hope you get yours soon.
What would you say are the key differences in sound signature between the two?

Jun 30, 2021 at 9:20 AM Post #3,056 of 18,497
Ask him directly!
Thanks for the advice guys ill take it on board? I don't really wanna ask him anything else he has told me the name of the new line and the cosmetics but not the internals or price! If i knew one of the upcoming model's had Bone Con i would definitely wait because Bob said he is working on the new line as we speak and we all know each new set of releases increase in sound quality! I think if i was to pull the trigger it would most probably be Elysium because i already have the EST in my Opus Mia! Iv never owned or heard a Planar can anyone give me a pro's & con's of and sound of a planar?

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #3,058 of 18,497
Ok, so with close to 40 hours on my Elysium, something happened. It's like the bone conduction turned on or something. It's not just the sound, it's like the realization of sound goes deeper in your head. The details almost seem overpowering. I have to go back and listen to the Mia's to compare. Wow!
L O V E it!

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #3,059 of 18,497
I revisited my Zenith yesterday and they blew me away, they easily go tonally incorrect and only work with certain tracks and genres but when they are singing they really sing.

Is Bob telling you all this info in private chats and emails, one of you says private chat and you're saying he has teased August/september which sounds like an email. I have not heard of the new new in August.
The August/September teaser comes from a newsletter e-mail in which Bob wrote that a new iem would be coming around that time to complete the regular IMR catalog and cover the entry, mid-range, and flagship tiers. Which makes me think it’s the flagship one he’s still working on.

Bob regularly states that if such or such iem was the last he ever made, he would be happy. Well I must say - if the R1 was the only iem Bob ever made as far as I’m concerned he could have retired satisfied with what he’d brought to the audio world. It’s the Zenith, without the weird tone and metallic upper mids. Such high energy and drive! Unshaken foundations for the entire IMR saga.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #3,060 of 18,497
The August/September teaser comes from a newsletter e-mail in which Bob wrote that a new iem would be coming around that time to complete the regular IMR catalog and cover the entry, mid-range, and flagship tiers. Which makes me think it’s the flagship one he’s still working on.

Bob regularly states that if such or such iem was the last he ever made, he would be happy. Well I must say - if the R1 was the only iem Bob ever made as far as I’m concerned he could have retired satisfied with what he’d brought to the audio world. It’s the Zenith, without the weird tone and metallic upper mids. Such high energy and drive! Unshaken foundations for the entire IMR saga.

Honestly i can't recall that newsletter, maybe he has sent it to the most recent purchasers list rather than everyone.
Last i heard was nothing more until next year. Excited all the same for more new new's.

I can't recall which tracks but ones that dont bring out the weird tone or metallic mids benefit from the very thing that causes those, the bass is super weighty and punchy which a lot of the newer ones upto semper as that is the last i hve been able to buy have a much deeper and slower paced bass overall. I like both styles of bass but i am yearning for the one which truly gives both, if its there play it but not necessarily as the artist intended but rather as bob intends lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back