• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #1,351 of 18,048
Jan 1, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #1,352 of 18,048
I joined here to send a message to my comrades who use PB2.
this is a message from a skirmisher.

I burned it about 190+hours, now black filter + red nozzle.
Black filters were used to secure a wide sense of space. and treble of PB2 is a little hard(not harsh, it's like soft NM2+), so red nozzle tames treble.
(oh, I'm rather sensitive to treble)

Maybe pb2 is most clear & bright model from IMR. it has enough bass, and beautiful-wide-clear-flexible mid, and energetic treble.

yes, pb2 is different. but you want or expect that sound, your choice was right.
As always, your trust can be shaken. but burn it at least 150 hours and I recommend more.

be patient, have faith.
The road to heaven is a narrow path.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #1,353 of 18,048
I wonder how the bass is on PB2 compared to Semper and Opus, it's bombastic on these especially more so on Semper now after 190 hours. And only using silver nozzle on both.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,354 of 18,048
I wonder how the bass is on PB2 compared to Semper and Opus, it's bombastic on these especially more so on Semper now after 190 hours. And only using silver nozzle on both.

pb2's base is not bombastic. its warm and resilient. It seems that DD power was adjusted not to violate the middle range.
if I recall.. aten DD with silver filter has more power than pb2(9mm DD) with black filter. about 90-95% my guess.

In another receiver of IMR(except EDP), DD is the main character, but in pb2, planar is the main.
planar-mid is the body, and DD and EST are both wings.

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,355 of 18,048
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #1,356 of 18,048
So here some personal views on PB2 (150 to 200h burn in) vs Opus Mia.
Opus Mia I use with purple/blue (I tried silver/blue and found it a bit to thin in bass, purple is a bit to thick but at the moment I prefer this). PB2 I use now with black/gold because gold/gold is to dark for my taste.
Bass is more detailed and more tight compared to Opus Mia, amount is a bit less but still plenty for me.
Mids are smoother, more musical compared to Opus Mia. Here the planars are shining.
So this would suggest a plus for the PB2 but the peak around 1-2kHz is huge and I have to use an EQ and tune this region down by -10dB to make female vocals bearable.
This peak gives you lots of details in acoustic or classical music but this feals a bit unnatural and over exaggerated. I don't mind to use an EQ, but on the DX160 I have not yet found a good global equalizer which can be used with Tidal. So at the moment I am not really sure if I will keep the PB2 or not. I still have a couple of days left, before I have to decide....

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #1,357 of 18,048
Thanks for the impressions. If you are willing to stream online you can use USB audio player, and use the EQ there.

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,358 of 18,048
Opus Mia I use with purple/blue (I tried silver/blue and found it a bit to thin in bass, purple is a bit to thick but at the moment I prefer this). PB2 I use now with black/gold because gold/gold is to dark for my taste.
Bass is more detailed and more tight compared to Opus Mia, amount is a bit less but still plenty for me.
Mids are smoother, more musical compared to Opus Mia. Here the planars are shining.
So this would suggest a plus for the PB2 but the peak around 1-2kHz is huge and I have to use an EQ and tune this region down by -10dB to make female vocals bearable.
This peak gives you lots of details in acoustic or classical music but this feals a bit unnatural and over exaggerated. I don't mind to use an EQ, but on the DX160 I have not yet found a good global equalizer which can be used with Tidal. So at the moment I am not really sure if I will keep the PB2 or not. I still have a couple of days left, before I have to decide....

that's the reason why I don't use blue filters is similar. I can't use 'brighter' items like custom silver cable and some eartips.
with planue R2, red nozzle controls most of sibilant. and I removed spiral dot tip because it improves mid-bass and 'high-mids.'
how about try using a warmer ear-tip? like acoustune aet07. What I'm using now is the stock eartip of LZ-A7. it's not perfect, so I'm trying to find a better ones.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #1,359 of 18,048

At this moment (about 80 burn-in hours) PB2 bass is different than all others IMR models I own excepr EDP. (Same "woofer"). Trebles are very good, not creamy as on EDP but more extended.. Never harsh but present. Against the others IMR models mounting Aten driver, bass is not as deep but is more articulated and less massive. On PB2 i can clearly ear and understand even complicated bass-lines never heard so clearly. I have choosen PB2 against other new IMR models becaue i like too much my EDP's signature. If slightly more extended in the treble region EDP could be an end game for me. Anoher reason why i have choosen PB2 is: i don't like too much the piezo driver, a good driver but i find it slightly metallic and so was wth Motorola's piezo tweeters on some JBL and RCF speakers. Maybe my old ears suffers piezo-trebles. LOL

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,360 of 18,048

I cannot remember if the DX160 is an android DAP or not. If it is, you may want to try the new PowerAmp system-wide equaliser, on Play Store. It is in development and may have bugs, but I have not had any issues with it, but having said that, I have had it for a few days.

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,361 of 18,048
At this moment (about 80 burn-in hours) PB2 bass is different than all others IMR models I own excepr EDP. (Same "woofer"). Trebles are very good, not creamy as on EDP but more extended.. Never harsh but present. Against the others IMR models mounting Aten driver, bass is not as deep but is more articulated and less massive. On PB2 i can clearly ear and understand even complicated bass-lines never heard so clearly. I have choosen PB2 against other new IMR models becaue i like too much my EDP's signature. If slightly more extended in the treble region EDP could be an end game for me. Anoher reason why i have choosen PB2 is: i don't like too much the piezo driver, a good driver but i find it slightly metallic and so was wth Motorola's piezo tweeters on same speakers. Maybe my old ears suffers piezo-trebles. LOL
Yes, the metallic timbre you mention bothered me on certain tracks with the Opus Mia. But now after so much time spending with it ,I never hear it anymore , eiither brain or physical burn in , who knows?. With Semper right from the start I couldn't detect any of this timbre. So I was really pleased . Maybe my mind has become numb to it or has to do with planar driver or something else , who knows?

Jan 1, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,362 of 18,048
I cannot remember if the DX160 is an android DAP or not. If it is, you may want to try the new PowerAmp system-wide equaliser, on Play Store. It is in development and may have bugs, but I have not had any issues with it, but having said that, I have had it for a few days.
Yes it's Android. I don't know about Poweramp but Usb Audio player has better SQ than Tidal music app.
Plus you can't stream Tidal from Poweramp as far as I know.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 12:59 PM Post #1,363 of 18,048
At this moment (about 80 burn-in hours) PB2 bass is different than all others IMR models I own excepr EDP. (Same "woofer"). Trebles are very good, not creamy as on EDP but more extended.. Never harsh but present. Against the others IMR models mounting Aten driver, bass is not as deep but is more articulated and less massive. On PB2 i can clearly ear and understand even complicated bass-lines never heard so clearly. I have choosen PB2 against other new IMR models becaue i like too much my EDP's signature. If slightly more extended in the treble region EDP could be an end game for me. Anoher reason why i have choosen PB2 is: i don't like too much the piezo driver, a good driver but i find it slightly metallic and so was wth Motorola's piezo tweeters on some JBL and RCF speakers. Maybe my old ears suffers piezo-trebles. LOL

I had same impressions to chose PB2 over semper

Jan 1, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #1,364 of 18,048
Yes, the metallic timbre you mention bothered me on certain tracks with the Opus Mia. But now after so much time spending with it ,I never hear it anymore , eiither brain or physical burn in , who knows?. With Semper right from the start I couldn't detect any of this timbre. So I was really pleased . Maybe my mind has become numb to it or has to do with planar driver or something else , who knows?

Sorry, never heard Semper so i believe what you're writing. Maybe the last Aten driver generattion has been upgraded. Until Rah the harshness was still present. After Rah i don't know. While i'm writing i'm listening to "Desire" by Bob Dylan MFSL version. I'm hearing bass lines never heard before and China cymbals are.... China cymbals. Chinas are not easy to reproduce with their "sgangherato" (grungy) thymbre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back