Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 30, 2020 at 11:00 PM Post #1,321 of 18,039
Today taking a break from semper, listening to my other iems such as jomo trinity ss and um3DT, perhaps it is the music types i listen to (mostly pops with focus on vocal), while both the jomo and um have crisp treble, deep bass and beautiful mids, the semper sounds fuller, it gives a higher density of sound, which does not give it a very wide soundstage, but a very emotional and musical presentation, but not v-shaped, more like w-shaped with the vocal stands out rather nicely. As my first pair of IMR, I am not sure if that is IMR's house sound, but I have not had any iems with that full body, crisp treble, and a rumbling bass which I in fact need to tame it down with filters. I feel that the semper is an absolute bargain at its price point!
Happy New Year everyone!

Dec 31, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #1,322 of 18,039
I did the same thing yesterday, actually. Let the Semper rest while I listened to the new Aten for a bit. While their tonality with blue-on-red combination is similar, the Aten seemed to provide a more laid-back sound that's less demanding of attention. Semper, by comparison, somehow requires you to be listening actively to get the most out of what it offers.

Dec 31, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #1,323 of 18,039
I'm having my previous R2 Aten on the VR driving sim rig (huge R2 soundstage helps positioning) which is used almost daily since the lockdowns. If I were to compare them to the OMs I'd say R2 is a bright IEM while OMs are warm & bright. R2 shouts the treble while OM speaks it with grace. R2 has boomier bass, OM more transparent & controlled but quantitively the same if not more. Mids seem drier and further back on the R2, they are juicy and full of substance on OMs. I can't even imagine what Sempers must be like with a planar for mids..
Details wise they don't even compare. OM has micro-details all over the range which are imperceptible or too well hidden by R2's shoutier character. That's not to say R2 lack details - compared to my previous VR IEM (iBasso IT01s) they are head & shoulders above in all aspects.

PS. 220 hours plus on my OMs - am I right to note slight changes still happening to the treble region this late? Bass & mids have settled many hours ago.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #1,324 of 18,039
I did the same thing yesterday, actually. Let the Semper rest while I listened to the new Aten for a bit. While their tonality with blue-on-red combination is similar, the Aten seemed to provide a more laid-back sound that's less demanding of attention. Semper, by comparison, somehow requires you to be listening actively to get the most out of what it offers.
I also use Semper and Aten of the first generation. I often experiment with the same compositions from different sources. What is most interesting: the filters selected for Aten sound great everywhere, while Semper, which sounds perfect for me on one source, cancels everything out on another source. Time comes again to select filters for it. Capricious thing.
And yes you are right. Aten really listens naturally.
These are everyday headphones. Listening to them you will not miss anything.
In Semper, you need to LISTEN. You need to listen to him calmly. And he will reward you with a huge mountain of positive emotions. These headphones are not for the street.
Just wanted to write my comments from a beginner sound lover.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #1,325 of 18,039
Happy New Year, IMR fans. May the coming year be better and may your hi-fi gear bring you tons of relaxation and happiness (without breaking from overuse, of course).
My plans for the coming year include slimming down my IEM collection since I have too many and my three IMRs are seeing the most use right now.
But tonight I'm spending time with my Semper, tip rolling to find the perfect combination. I have confirmed my previous findings that medium and wide bore tips fit it best. Final E tips veil the vocals similar to the foams that come with IMRs. So far I've had the best results with Misodiko's Mix460, Azla Xelastecs, and e-Pro Horn-shaped tips.

Dec 31, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #1,327 of 18,039
Am I the only one who doesn't have their Semper yet?
Damn, I'm sorry to hear you're still waiting for yours. I'd be beside myself if I hadn't got it before Christmas, and it was a pretty close thing for me too.
I hope you get it quickly now.

Dec 31, 2020 at 7:45 PM Post #1,328 of 18,039
I got a pair of Opus Mias in today and I'm really digging the sound. They are my first IMR set since the R1. Since then I've had Hylas and Empire Ears but I've been curious about Bob's new case design and the Opus Mias. When a set came up for sale I had to give them a shot and I'm extremely happy I did, these things sound fantastic. The highs (blue upper) are so crisp with no sibilance, the mids are more lush than I was expecting, and the lows.... I'm using the black lower filter and they truly satisfy my inner basshead. They hit cleaner and deeper than either of my Hylas did and they are known for their low end. Impressive IEM.

om1.jpgom2.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #1,329 of 18,039
I absolutely love the OM, the mids on the Semper are more intense and is overall a fuller sounding IEM, but OM is a gem of an IEM.

Listening to this song in bed with Opus Mia I just want to go higher and higher on the volume knob. It sounds great with lower volume but I can see the dimensions expanding in all directions going higher and higher. Crazy, blissful experience.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #1,331 of 18,039
OM is like a quality bookshelf speaker. Semper is a floor stander. Both to my ears the most analog sounding in my collections.

In fact, Semper has transported me back to the early 70s when I started my music journey under the influence on my uncles.
CCR, Eric Clapton, Doors and so on.

Because of Semper, Randomly dig out out some of my old CDs ( plenty more in the Store room) to rip them as old classic tracks sound really good on Semper, especially blues. Not into streaming.

50723BC0-9EF0-4C41-B4D9-E423B7A89D4B.jpeg

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #1,334 of 18,039
I hadn't heard of him. Listening to him right now, "I can't quit you baby", loving it . I will explore more. I was more into Muddy Waters, Albert King, Nat King.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back