• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 15, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,006 of 18,013
... and mine just arrived at my doorstep :robot:

Note: in the haste to unpack don’t throw the plastic film the Semper case comes in straight down the bin, as the 4.4mm cable is also inside, on the loose (as was stated earlier the case has no room to accomodate 3 cables).
Bless you for the warning, son. May the gods of euphonics make all your audio equipment perform flawlessly.

Dec 15, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #1,007 of 18,013
... and mine just arrived at my doorstep :robot:

Note: in the haste to unpack don’t throw the plastic film the Semper case comes in straight down the bin, as the 4.4mm cable is also inside, on the loose (as was stated earlier the case has no room to accomodate 3 cables).

Would you share unboxing?

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #1,008 of 18,013
For the future, please remember.
Never use tools to assemble or disassemble the filters!
Yes. Painful lesson. As usual Bob is amazing, he is kind enough to ship me a replacement filter.

Dec 15, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #1,009 of 18,013
Any recommendations for upper filter with the lowest treble for Semper? Currently I'm using lower purple and upper black. The treble seems to be abit too hot on the Sss and Zzz.. tried the red and green but doesn't seems to be able to get rid of them. Could this be the characteristics of the piezo drivers?

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:19 AM Post #1,010 of 18,013
Any recommendations for upper filter with the lowest treble for Semper? Currently I'm using lower purple and upper black. The treble seems to be abit too hot on the Sss and Zzz.. tried the red and green but doesn't seems to be able to get rid of them. Could this be the characteristics of the piezo drivers?
With the Opus Mia burn in took care of that completely with most songs in my library , l'm sure it's the same with the Semper. I would give it at least 150 hours.

Dec 15, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #1,011 of 18,013

Try Bobs recommendation of pink pink and if it is still too much the lowest treble is gold. It is the piezo but it will get better.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #1,014 of 18,013
Try Bobs recommendation of pink pink and if it is still too much the lowest treble is gold. It is the piezo but it will get better.
I was thinking maybe the piezo could be abit redundant. The PB2 would be better DD, est and planar.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #1,015 of 18,013
I was thinking maybe the piezo could be abit redundant. The PB2 would be better DD, est and planar.

On the early versions many used to wish for no piezo as the upper mids lower treble are had a high response but as each new model came out it became more tamed, and honestly i dont mind it and really benefit from having it and is the main reason i chose semper over PB2, plus the large DD. The long burn in times is pretty much for the piezo and is a huge cause of the 70 hour my new IEM is broken. There isn't really a right or wrong of having it or not really, just preference for the end goal.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:11 PM Post #1,017 of 18,013
The eagle has landed and it is also a fat hen. :wink:
But very nice blue colour.

But lateral size is very similar (if not the same), therefore fit is still comfortable.
s_IMG_2292.JPG

They are still cold from transport, so I give them time to warm up before I start "burn in".

Physical size aside, it has been bugging me why i thought they looked different, and there it is.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #1,018 of 18,013
Got my Opus Mia a few days ago from a friend, with just a few hours of playtime. They sound great already and I know from previous models they really need time to reach full potential.
What is everybody using for burn in? I'm using a collection of WAVs with various tones, sweeps, brown, pink & white noise played on repeat through a Chord Mojo at a few volume steps above my regular listening level. Am I doing this right?

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #1,019 of 18,013
Got my Opus Mia a few days ago from a friend, with just a few hours of playtime. They sound great already and I know from previous models they really need time to reach full potential.
What is everybody using for burn in? I'm using a collection of WAVs with various tones, sweeps, brown, pink & white noise played on repeat through a Chord Mojo at a few volume steps above my regular listening level. Am I doing this right?
I'm using the 1more Assistant app to burn in. It's in batches of 12hrs. Seems quite useful .

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,020 of 18,013
Interesting (to me) thought... I am going to guess that burn-in, depending upon the IMR model, will be different depending upon the driver combination as an epiphenomenon of the physics of the different materials that comprise each component and the degree of overlap between them as far as the range they transmit. So, hear me out...

The EST would (conceivably) be the least problematic in that it is likely tuned in such a way as to cover the high end unperturbed. Thus, as temperature and heat generated during use tweak the signature slightly, there won't be much opportunity for it to be out of sync with the other drivers, whatever they may be.

The Planar would be second behind the EST as far as being dependent upon purely mechanical stressors that would affect signal. The larger planar in the later models would also likely carry more load in terms of range spread, and be more likely to overlap, thus increasing the likelihood of harmonic discord/mud.

The Piezo and Dynamic are probably the main offenders. They are the most 'mechanical' in terms of how they produce a signal and would probably change the most in response to temp and heat over time. Perhaps ~150 hours as @holsen has detailed in several posts. They are also most likely to overlap other drivers in low, mid, and highs. Basically, as they shift and other drivers do not, the sound as a whole would hypothetically become muddier in overlap ranges, especially low mids and upper mids. Here, they would undercut the planar magnetics for a time.

As Bob is clearly a master tuner, I would guess that he would aim at a couple hundred hours as a place to sync the assorted drivers--whatever they may be. That would be logical, given that all drivers are likely to settle into their long term formations by then. What that would also do, however, is to cause a period--or several--wherein drivers would be out of sync with one another. These might be the "70 hours" or "50 hours" wherein maximum distortion is present, and people send 'em back...

I dunno. What do you want? I'm a scientist, LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back