Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 10, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #857 of 18,013
Well, let's see if I get the tracking number today.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:13 AM Post #860 of 18,013
Semper, the ultimate expression of what can be done with a in-ear monitor.

The unique driver combination featured in the Semper enables it to deliver the most immersive and engaging sounding IMR product to date. Covering every aspect of the audible sound spectrum (and beyond) the Semper recreates audio on a whole new level.

Vocals are presented so naturally, cleanly and intimately you will think the artist is with you in the room. Treble is a masterpiece of precision, never harsh and never fatiguing.

Detail retrieval is second to none with micro and macro details presented as they should be.

Staging is sublime with perfect placement.

Dec 10, 2020 at 6:28 AM Post #861 of 18,013
Mine just arrived

Attachments

• f6ebf791-3288-4b94-8134-4a3d2e7c9967.jpeg
    f6ebf791-3288-4b94-8134-4a3d2e7c9967.jpeg
    197.6 KB · Views: 0
Dec 10, 2020 at 8:24 AM Post #864 of 18,013
People have already got theirs, and I don't even have the tracking number yet. I'm having flashbacks to the way it was with the EDP.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #867 of 18,013
My Semper just turned up. The shape is a new one on me but they feel really solid and high quality. When I got the EDPs I didn't listen to them (other than making sure they worked) until the recommended burn in was done and they blew me away on first listen so I'm tempted to do the same with these before experiencing them however 200 hours recommended burn in is a long time to wait!

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #869 of 18,013
As usual plethora of options for connections and configurations.
4.4mm balanced cable was in a plastic baggy outside rather than in the included case (3 cables doesn't fit in the case cable cut-out). Nice to have the 4.4mm cable included though!
Not keen on these cables. I'm sure some will like their softness but they're a little tangly and they sit beyond the arch of my ears. Custom cable to be made up for these.

Large IEMs but ergonomic enough to sit comfortably. Still far smaller than my JH Audio Laylas or MMR Thummim to give you that Uruha free look. Metallic grey, slightly matte finish is very good and the seams are really neat. No large visible misalignment as with R1 or Zenith. Aesthetics are personal tastes but I like these and also like that they won't be confused with another company's design;

20201210_134302_1.jpg

At this stage, almost too early to talk about the sound without burn so take this with a pinch of salt; after two hours in and tried them with the reference recommendation (purple lower and red upper nozzle) and the bass is huge, vocals are very nice and forward with an emphasis on lower mids, upper mids are slightly recessed and the highs are rolled off for now. Soundstage is above average but I'd imagine burn in shall open these up and add also a bit of sparkle and life into the upper treble.

(Bearing in mind there is a price difference with these), JH Audio Layla has more resolution and much wider soundstage, a more reference tuning with more detailed treble but lacks the dynamic like punch in the mid bass the Semper currently has. Sound is crystal clear compared to the unburnt Semper.

Final Audio Lab 2 has a wider soundstage but far less extension into the subbass region and far less midbass. Treble is slightly rolled off but still far brighter than unburnt Semper but vocals are lifelike and far more forward. Soundstage width and layering is on a different level with Lab 2 and instrumental accuracy is peerless. Unburnt Semper is slightly softer which makes everything sound very sweet but not as instrumentally accurate.

Probably the most similar comparison given their hybrid configurations; tonally the MMR Thummim has more similarity but with a deeper, more textured subbass response, better upper treble extension but (at this stage) I'd say less forward mids and vocal presentation. Soundstage of Thummim is on a completely different level to unburnt Semper.

20201210_134105_1.jpg

We'll see how things change after a couple of hundred hours burn in.
As mentioned before I'd expect the upper mids and treble response to increase and the soundstage to open up with a couple of hundred hours or so.

I'd like to see that midbass tamed so there is a little more speed in their presentation for rock and metal.
For classical and jazz the upper treble will need to open up as well as resolution.
For acoustic music a little treble will bring some more accuracy to their presentation but currently the vocals are very sweet and very forward which is nice and intimate.
These are excellent for hard and heavy electronica, industrial and hip-hop as they are and I would imagine that will only improve.
Presentation is certainly erring towards being musical and coloured rather than reference... Which is increasingly a rarity in this price range.

Power wise, these really don't require anywhere near as much power as I expected them to, to drive however they do certainly open up with a bit more power overhead.

I have very little in the price range for comparison but these do seem to deliver a lot for the £1k price region and I'd expect them to be able to compete with some £2k+ IEMs, hence the (very early) comparisons above earphones.
Once burn in has happened then nozzle rolling can begin but there's a long way to go for that... Plus I fly out soon so I'm leaving these with a friend over the festive period as I have some new headphones to take with me.

To those awaiting their shipments, enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back