Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Oct 30, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #616 of 17,967

I probably shouldn't dwell on this but I have been truly intrigued, I actually took out all the stock cables and tried them all! I agree that they do not make a night and day difference, but they all sound different indeed. Many of you might have already watched the video below, but I only just did, and the "subtraction theory" made a lot of sense to me!

In two days, it will be November finally... and I cannot wait to get my hands on the semper, also I have got a few cables recently, had them burn-in just waiting to try out which one suits best.:k701smile:

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #617 of 17,967
Did you do a blind test?
At the end of the day it's your money. Placebo effect or not if you are hearing a difference and that adds to your enjoyment, good for you, it's nobody else's business really.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #618 of 17,967
currently (and always) abusing my Zeniths

Glad to see some love for the Zeniths here, I love them too :) ... just have to get a better cable as I'm still on the original springy one.

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #619 of 17,967
Did you do a blind test?
At the end of the day it's your money. Placebo effect or not if you are hearing a difference and that adds to your enjoyment, good for you, it's nobody else's business really.
No, I didn't do blind test, so admitting it could be "mind-fi":L3000: But like you said,"i" felt the difference, so it's fun "for me" at least:ksc75smile:
Again, the tips and filters impact much more obviously, and that is why I am so looking forward to the semper! My only pair or iem which has filters were the 846, still clearly remember how it felt so good to switch the filters, like the best toy. I never own any IMR, and the filters intrigued me hugely, of cos semper's quadbrid was what caught my eyes! I like mixed drivers, the Tralucent Audio 1+2 was my first pair of iem and I still listen to them today; then the jomo trinity ss, my favorite now even though it is considered quite old in this hobby... Nothing attracts me more than the semper, except perhaps the MEST...
Still I prefer listening to LCD3 and my entry-level stax at home, full size just sounds better for me, so I wonder when will IMR's headphone be released... So looking forward to their hybrid design headphone... Anyone here heard anything from Bob about his headphone?

Oct 30, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #620 of 17,967
Yeah the filters are really useful. I too ordered the Semper and I have the Opus Mia which is awesome, so an improvement over that with the planar driver on the Semper is really exciting to me.

Nov 4, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #622 of 17,967
Interested in hearing your Zenith set up?
Wanted to answer this after a final test, so I had this 2k / 4K peak that it always drove me crazy, I used the crinacle eq setting for black filters, it worked with no mesh, then I read about this mod for the fdx1 with micropore, did that but. I didn’t like the sound, so I put micropore on the exit nozzle (I did in the secondary filter in the back, I use a r2 aten black filter with no mesh until a couple of days ago) so, the micropore tamed a bit the high mid peak, but there was something missing, so on top of the micropore I put back the mesh and voila... best set up so far, no peak, bigger soundstage, cymbals doesn’t sound like cans and broken bottles, bass still mighty impressive, will post a picture tomorrow. Until today, this is by far my favorite pair of iems not cause of the sound, but because of the sentimental attachment I have to em

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #623 of 17,967
Hi, I am new to IMR. What difference between Private Build and the Semper/Opus, in term of sound signature. I read from the descripton page, that PB model is the private build. Thank you very much :)

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:51 AM Post #624 of 17,967
are many folks using the stock cables? I got the Opus Mia a couple of days ago, sounds good out of the gate, burning in now, but what's up with the Vulcan style earloops? there odd, because OM is a tall IEM and has longer cable connector posts, if that's what there called, on it's stock cable, but there longer than my PB1's CCP's? and when I first used the OM, I used the PB1's cable, with it's slightly shorter CCP's, so the cable layed lower behind my ear and didn't flop over and then off my ear? and when I went to go and use OM's stock cable, with the OM being a taller IEM and with longer CCP's on the cables, it makes the cable earloops sit higher on my ear to the point where it hardly touches/sits behind my ear, so the cables will flop unencumbered over and off my ear if I don't tilt my head back? I thought something felt off? I don't have short ears? but with the tall OM IEM, and the longer CCP, hubba hubba what a thing, kind of funny, but no big deal/breaker, I have other 2 pin cables to use, or the stock PB1 cable works, but a shame I won't be able to use the stock cables very well, well not without using some tape :robot:, lol,

but wondering if anyone else experienced this, or who may just be using there AM cables?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #625 of 17,967
Hi, I am new to IMR. What difference between Private Build and the Semper/Opus, in term of sound signature. I read from the descripton page, that PB model is the private build. Thank you very much :)

As you are aware, the Semper has yet to be delivered so a comparison at the moment is only based on guess and what we have all read in the description. My guess is that the Semper will be similar to the Opus Mia but with mids being more prominent because of the planar magnetic driver.

Again, I am guessing that the PB2 is described as a private build because it was built at the request of IMR customers. Others may have a different view.

Nov 5, 2020 at 3:22 AM Post #626 of 17,967
As you are aware, the Semper has yet to be delivered so a comparison at the moment is only based on guess and what we have all read in the description. My guess is that the Semper will be similar to the Opus Mia but with mids being more prominent because of the planar magnetic driver.

Again, I am guessing that the PB2 is described as a private build because it was built at the request of IMR customers. Others may have a different view.
Thanks for the reply. Wonder what genre will PB2 be more suitable for.

Nov 5, 2020 at 4:40 AM Post #627 of 17,967
Thanks for the reply. Wonder what genre will PB2 be more suitable for.

I do not have the PB2, but judging by the fact that the Dynamic Driver is a smaller 9mm driver as compared to the Aten 5 in both the Opus Mia and the Semper (which I believe is bigger, although I am not sure of the size) my view is it is not as bass heavy as the Aten 5.

The Aten 5 bass on the Opus Mia is lethal bass, especially sub-bass but very good quality. After 150 hours burn-in on Opus Mia, I am now trying to work out the amount of bass that works for me. At moment it is love/hate so I have to tame the quantity of bass. I love the HUGE sound but not when the unexpected bass strikes and makes me jump (a lot of my listening time is in bed at night) thinking someone SLAMMED the door, serious sub-bass.

So to your question, which genre would PB2 be suitable for? I would say with 12mm planer for lush mids and less bass (all guess work) it should suit lighter bass genres, like vocal music, acoustic music and classical music but I do not think it is bass-lite just not as lethal as the Opus Mia.

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:26 AM Post #628 of 17,967
Wanted to answer this after a final test, so I had this 2k / 4K peak that it always drove me crazy, I used the crinacle eq setting for black filters, it worked with no mesh, then I read about this mod for the fdx1 with micropore, did that but. I didn’t like the sound, so I put micropore on the exit nozzle (I did in the secondary filter in the back, I use a r2 aten black filter with no mesh until a couple of days ago) so, the micropore tamed a bit the high mid peak, but there was something missing, so on top of the micropore I put back the mesh and voila... best set up so far, no peak, bigger soundstage, cymbals doesn’t sound like cans and broken bottles, bass still mighty impressive, will post a picture tomorrow. Until today, this is by far my favorite pair of iems not cause of the sound, but because of the sentimental attachment I have to em
No problem at all for the delayed response. You have gone the same route as myself to fix the same issue.

My solution was also removing the mesh, I have essentially done the micro pore tape mod before I even knew that was a thing. I have used an IEM that had its own paper filter over its bore/stem outlet. I fitted it into the standard zenith black filter and hey presto no more high mid crazy peak. My solution seems more of a blunt instrument approach and I could absolutely do more to finesse it but I get now something I do not get from my other models so I'm happy to leave them as they are. They are not my favourite by any means but like yourself I have sentiment attached to them.

Have your missing deliveries turned up? (I think I'm asking the right person anyway) What happened to all that scenario?

Nov 5, 2020 at 6:27 AM Post #629 of 17,967

Also there is no ceramic piezo.

Nov 5, 2020 at 7:43 AM Post #630 of 17,967
I asked Bob this very question as I was undecided about the one I should order. Here is his reply:
"
They are very different presentations.

Both have huge levels of detail and excellent staging but the Semper is more organic and fun whereas the PB Two is leaning more towards reference with the focus being on detail, placement and retrieval.

Bass on Semper is organic and full of organic decay (same as Aten, Opus mia etc etc) and the bass on PB Two is fast and precise.

Both have superb midrange and detail and the highs are beautifully controlled and non fatiguing."

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back