Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 22, 2023 at 2:01 PM Post #14,296 of 18,203
When I was a young punk getting into this hobby, I entered the 'no such thing as burn in' camp without much of a fight... and argued that it was all in the mind. As I got more experienced it was clear to me that some sets I owned were making subtle to big sonic changes over time, so I changed my mind. I'll be honest tho... I never thought much of the IMR's "200-300 hours" burn in recommendation. Thought that was excessive tbh lol. That was until my Ozar started sounding noticeably more detailed these last couple of weeks.

I remember commenting in this thread that they lacked a bit of detail in the mids and got a couple replies disagreeing (politely). They did open up after a while, but still sounded a little veiled. Now after 8 months of regular use, the detail level just jumped up practically overnight. I had reached a stage I knew the Ozar's strengths and weaknesses from daily use, so assumed they'd hit their peak. Wrong. It's the micro-details popping up that's really striking and convincing enough to say this with confidence.

I got my Ozar in the B-stock for £95. I was always under the impression that paying the £400 would have been a bit OTT. They now sound like a £400 IEM. That I'm happy to admit.

So the IMR burn-in is REAL 😁.

Just let me sister listen to them... think I may have given her the audio bug. Should have seen her smile.

Sep 22, 2023 at 3:39 PM Post #14,297 of 18,203
When I was a young punk getting into this hobby, I entered the 'no such thing as burn in' camp without much of a fight... and argued that it

Just let me sister listen to them... think I may have given her the audio bug. Should have seen her smile.
Thanks for sharing that - This thread has been invaluable for 'proving' that burn-in is real - although to be fair this has been exceptionally and uniquely so for IMR IEMs. Ive experinced brun in changes with 90% of the IEMs / cans I have burnt in but nothing like with IMR
What is weird is that even with different drivers I have witnessed almost the exact same process of change at the same rough times of burn in for multiple IMRs that Ive burnt in
A few times here people have experienced an 'out of the blue' profound change from one hour to the next
Wouldn't even like to begin to try to explain the reasons for this although TBH I dont care - Following the same process every time, Ive expereinced changes time and time again :)

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:13 PM Post #14,298 of 18,203
When I was a young punk getting into this hobby, I entered the 'no such thing as burn in' camp without much of a fight... and argued that it was all in the mind. As I got more experienced it was clear to me that some sets I owned were making subtle to big sonic changes over time, so I changed my mind. I'll be honest tho... I never thought much of the IMR's "200-300 hours" burn in recommendation. Thought that was excessive tbh lol. That was until my Ozar started sounding noticeably more detailed these last couple of weeks.

I remember commenting in this thread that they lacked a bit of detail in the mids and got a couple replies disagreeing (politely). They did open up after a while, but still sounded a little veiled. Now after 8 months of regular use, the detail level just jumped up practically overnight. I had reached a stage I knew the Ozar's strengths and weaknesses from daily use, so assumed they'd hit their peak. Wrong. It's the micro-details popping up that's really striking and convincing enough to say this with confidence.

I got my Ozar in the B-stock for £95. I was always under the impression that paying the £400 would have been a bit OTT. They now sound like a £400 IEM. That I'm happy to admit.

And this is the reason why Na-Le would be the perfect budget IEM having this amazing IMR DD with a BC to add immersion and realism.

Sep 22, 2023 at 5:14 PM Post #14,299 of 18,203
Thanks for sharing that - This thread has been invaluable for 'proving' that burn-in is real - although to be fair this has been exceptionally and uniquely so for IMR IEMs. Ive experinced brun in changes with 90% of the IEMs / cans I have burnt in but nothing like with IMR
What is weird is that even with different drivers I have witnessed almost the exact same process of change at the same rough times of burn in for multiple IMRs that Ive burnt in
A few times here people have experienced an 'out of the blue' profound change from one hour to the next
Wouldn't even like to begin to try to explain the reasons for this although TBH I dont care - Following the same process every time, Ive expereinced changes time and time again :)
Most In Ears experience burn in over 100 hours of playtime. IMR hardware easily needs up to 600 hours of playing music.

Sep 23, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #14,300 of 18,203
MEMS drivers are Mids-treble drivers, with a boost in treble. People that has experience with these kind of novel drivers say that sound like an electrostat or a good planar in mids to treble region.
The thing is that i have choose the seraph and not the seraph+ because both MEMS and electrets overlap completely and to my knowledge are redundant, so I prefer to taste the original sound of a MEMS driver. Also, the existance of a dual BA for mids boost overlap in mid region with MEMS. If you also add an electret, the presence of MEMS is absurd. Is like adding BA drivers to a planar. Nobody has done that because of redundance.
Completely agree. Need some more time to compare Astra (10mm bespoke DD, dual BC, dual EST) to Seraph (11mm bespoke DD, dual BA, Mems) in terms of positioning and overall holographicy.
However, sub bass in AU is deeper than seraph, this is one thing that I can declare instantly.
Treble in seraph are surprisingly good. I thought other drivers can't compete with EST, but now I have some doubts

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #14,301 of 18,203
MEMS drivers are Mids-treble drivers, with a boost in treble. People that has experience with these kind of novel drivers say that sound like an electrostat or a good planar in mids to treble region.
The thing is that i have choose the seraph and not the seraph+ because both MEMS and electrets overlap completely and to my knowledge are redundant, so I prefer to taste the original sound of a MEMS driver. Also, the existance of a dual BA for mids boost overlap in mid region with MEMS. If you also add an electret, the presence of MEMS is absurd. Is like adding BA drivers to a planar. Nobody has done that because of redundance.
i could be wrong on this
But in theory you are correct about the mems if bob was using the amplifier which he is not

Im sure someone emailed bob and he said by not using the amp the mem’s play full frequency but you lose out on some of the highs/ treb

So i assume the mems with amp mainly do treb

Sep 23, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #14,302 of 18,203
i could be wrong on this
But in theory you are correct about the mems if bob was using the amplifier which he is not

Im sure someone emailed bob and he said by not using the amp the mem’s play full frequency but you lose out on some of the highs/ treb

So i assume the mems with amp mainly do treb
I'm almost sure mems also work on Mids and upper Mids as well

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:51 AM Post #14,304 of 18,203
I owned Elysium and the Avalon. Both had a fantastic sound and I couldn't say exactly why I didn't like them, they just didn't appeal to me, they just lacked that certain something that the Opus Mia had for me, which I simply can't sell. Unfortunately, I was only able to test the Astra for two weeks and was totally overwhelmed. Unfortunately, it is difficult to get hold of, I would definitely like to have this in my collection.
Similar situation for me, I owned a lot of IMRs and Halcyons are still on my top list. Only EDP Ace can compete with Halcyons for music enjoyment.

Also I regret much for selling OG elan, as they were cool sounding and I hadn’t thought Na-Le production would go this way.

Sep 24, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #14,305 of 18,203
Good afternoon. Bob didn't provide new tracking numbers for Na-Le? The number received on August 4 does not change the status of the parcel. Please share your answers in imr correspondence on this issue.

Sep 24, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #14,308 of 18,203
Elan+ some critics here (sorry guys, but anyway it is just my personal experience).
Firstly I was really impressed and blown away by elan+ sound, but with listening more and more, combining filters and tips I'found that I can't hear cymbals enough in many of tracks (burning in was done as it should be). Of course it's highly dependent on style of record and source. More cymbals am getting from Hiby FC4 and less from FiiO M11s (actually M11s makes elans+ too soft-sounding lacking details and impact comparing FC4). There is a track I test all my devices that is absolutely sufficient to understan all about them: Dimmu Borgir - Gateways. And.. it has eliminated Elan+, they sounds muddy, bass is out of control (jelly-type) , the storm of sounds containing loud and quite sounds has became just muttering sounding. To hear the cymbals or words (both male and female voices) - I have to tense up a lot my hearing. Have tried changing cables (copper, some copper-silver hybrids), tips (dunu ss, kbear 07, 2-flanged spinfits, etc.) sources (M11s, FC4, Topping DX3Pro+), probably later will test it with Cayin RU7 but don't really expect a miracle. Also I have KiwiEars Cadenza (1DD), Tripowin TC01 (1DD), Snowy A8+ (8BA), 7Hz Timeless AE (planar), Etymotic ER2XR (1DD), Fostex T20RP (planar), iBasso SR2 (1DD) and to be honest all of them passed Gateways much better or excelent (A8+, Timeless AE, ER2XR) in terms of separation, speed and details. For me it is quite strange for the price and waiting period of 7 months to get this result. So I do not really understand how can I get that promised crispy and precise HF for "treble heads" as it was before mentioned in official site and now they removed all that beautiful words. For me now Elan+ are very genre-dependent, I can't listen speed-tracks or music recorded with not enough elevated cymbals freq area like doom metal and others. Any ideas, any tricks?

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #14,309 of 18,203
That's how Bob tunes his IEMs. I've noticed it on every IMR IEM I've owned. You can try adding some EQ at 7-8kHz. That should help.

Sep 24, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #14,310 of 18,203
Good afternoon. Bob didn't provide new tracking numbers for Na-Le? The number received on August 4 does not change the status of the parcel. Please share your answers in imr correspondence on this issue.
There are no Na-le unless they are actually made and actually shipped.

Supposedly those who have no yet cancelled are still getting them, when remains to be seen.

The tracking numbers you received are meaningless and do not correspond to an existing shipment in progress.

Unfortunately that is where we are.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back