Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 3, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #14,101 of 18,496
How do you feel about "bone conduction"? I assume it's supposed to give a sense of presence, no? I don't think it does the trick for me. At least with Halcyon I feel way more connected to the music, then with both Avalon or Ace. So I kind of wonder if I even hear/feel those BC drivers at all?

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:20 AM Post #14,102 of 18,496
How do you feel about "bone conduction"? I assume it's supposed to give a sense of presence, no? I don't think it does the trick for me. At least with Halcyon I feel way more connected to the music, then with both Avalon or Ace. So I kind of wonder if I even hear/feel those BC drivers at all?

Every BC model I've tried from multiple different manufacturers seem to add a sense of realism to the presentation of the music, and an almost "physical" dimension to the sound.

In order for the bone conduction drivers to work, you need as much of the shell area as possible to be in contact with the surface of your ear - the more vibration that is transmitted, the stronger the effect. Using foam tips is usually not recommended, and also going down a size from your usual eartip to get a deeper fit if you can still get a seal is worth trying too. Basically, if you have a fit that is 100% supported by the eartip without much shell to ear contact, you won't get much out of the BC drivers.

Not sure if this applies to you, just passing on my experience from models like the Avalon, plus other gear like the UM MEST Mk1 and 2 and Noble Audio Kublai Khan.

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #14,105 of 18,496
My view:

Pre-ordering with IMR is like investing. You pays your money and you takes your chances. Just don't spend more than you can afford to lose. If I lose money, I only have myself to blame. Understand the risks and you'll be fine.

I've never heard of a single instance where Bob didn't process a refund IMMEDIATELY when requested. So the odds of losing your investment is very low.

People tolerate his business model because he's an eccentric genius with IEMs. We love the finished product (when it finally arrives). If you don't like it, then request a refund and just move on with your life.
It was not long ago; It is the same you felt when you didn't receive your TITAN.

1693749866928.png

1693749971018.png

Sep 3, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #14,106 of 18,496
"presence" is the word I used to describe the OG Elan when I first got them, especially in comparison to the very good FiiO FH5. The Elan had just a little more to them, which I credited to the bone conduction. It's also true for the Elan+, and with the BAs, the higher end is covered adequately as well.

Sep 3, 2023 at 3:12 PM Post #14,107 of 18,496
It was not long ago; It is the same you felt when you didn't receive your TITAN.

1693749866928.png
1693749971018.png
You're absolutely right. I even wrote to Bob and told him how I felt. He immediately refunded my Titan pre-order payment in full.

A few weeks later, he posted that some Titans had shipped, so I reconsidered my position and got back on the list. I changed my attitude then and there that I would commit to the Titans for better or worse. I received them about a month or two later.

Now that he has put the Enigma up for pre-order, I gladly got back in line again. He restored my faith enough with delivery of the Titan that I made the commitment again. I have full confidence that he will either deliver the Enigma or grant me a refund. And if I lose my investment, I know that's a possibility. You're right, I did change my mind. But such is life.

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:46 PM Post #14,108 of 18,496
It's like Stockholm syndrome. And the victim here is not Bob.
Victim ?
Im loving my Elan+, Semper and Ozar. Each one giving a very different experience and sound
Ive been in this hobby for many years and can now happily stop looking and enjoying what I have.

So tell me, which IMR headphones are you currently enjoying or have heard in the past ?
Or is the NaLe your first IR order & you are frustrated at waiting ?

Sep 3, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #14,109 of 18,496
For me in terms of the Elan+'s BC drivers - It sounds like music goes from a flat linear soundstage (with the Ozar) to a sudden bubble 3d dimensional soundstage
The different instruments have a lot more space around them and seem to have their own unique position in a 3d image such that you can spend time with each one and hear its characteristics clearly even in amongst a busy mix.
Its seems to make the music a little bit more 'colourized' and 'glossy' although im not 100% sure of that...might just be the albums production.

Going from non BC to BC can often sound like its a new piece of music all together - seems to present it in a quite different way.
Its quite a big difference and takes a few moments to get used it going either way from one IEM to another. I love it BUT sometimes I prefer the more kind of 'reference like' balanced sound of the semper.
I find there is lot more going on perceptively with BC drivers so if im tired it can sometimes be a little fatiguing

I hear & experience the effect a lot more with well produced clean music like modern classical or ambient

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2023 at 9:21 PM Post #14,110 of 18,496
Buying a used IMR in ear is the best. It's already burned in and gets delivered fast.
I would pay extra for the burn in if I purchased another IMR

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #14,111 of 18,496
I would pay extra for the burn in if I purchased another IMR
O, really? I feel quite differently, it is fun for me to experience the changes, especially when they are improving over time:ksc75smile:

Sep 3, 2023 at 10:25 PM Post #14,112 of 18,496
i know some of you might laugh at my set up, but that's good, have a good laugh and a great day, life is already too stressful:ksc75smile:

Attachments

• IMG_20230904_102242.jpg
    IMG_20230904_102242.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Sep 3, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #14,113 of 18,496
That's ... very involved.

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #14,114 of 18,496
Victim ?
Im loving my Elan+, Semper and Ozar. Each one giving a very different experience and sound
Ive been in this hobby for many years and can now happily stop looking and enjoying what I have.

So tell me, which IMR headphones are you currently enjoying or have heard in the past ?
Or is the NaLe your first IR order & you are frustrated at waiting ?
Yes, Na-le is my first order. I did not think in what a viscous swamp I would find myself. Bob cannot be held responsible for his words and promises. This is a sad fact. I would not advise anyone to pre-order on imr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back