Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 2, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #12,961 of 18,081
Selling as I am happy with the Elan +, and I don`t have the time to go through break-in again.
I hear that. If I sold mine it would be at a premium for the privilege of a broken in set.

Jun 3, 2023 at 11:56 AM Post #12,962 of 18,081
Let me know if anyone is interested in buying a Zenith II
Sadly I need to sell anything to buy anything and the Elan+ is staying :D

Jun 3, 2023 at 5:31 PM Post #12,963 of 18,081
I got my Elan+ on Tuesday and have been listening with it and burning it in when I'm not. At first I thought it was a bit grainy or veiled, but thankfully it has began to open up the more I use it. Very enjoyable so far, and the bass is incredibly deep! It might not have the largest bass quantity of an IEM that I've heard, but it is still plentiful and reaches deep in a way that no other IEM I've tried has.

Tip rolling and nozzle rolling was also really important to get the right balance. I've settled on TRI Clarions for the eartips and both the black lower and upper nozzle. I liked the blue upper nozzle, but it pushed vocals a little too far up in the mix which overshadowed some other details for me and felt fatiguing, but the black upper works wonderfully and allows me to listen all day. The other upper nozzles that I tried (red & gold) seemed to remove too much detail in string instruments and also caused the bass to become a little flabby which I didn't like.

Overall, very happy with the set with only about 20 hours of burn-in and looking forward to seeing how they evolve as time goes on!

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #12,964 of 18,081
Sat down for a listen tonight with Ott - Heads on the playlist with my Sempers in my ears. I have to admit that Ott sounds particularly satisfying through Semper and I prefer using them over any other IEM in my collection when I listen to his music. His extensive use of bass and sub-bass as leading lines in most tracks really shines with Semper. I find the Moondrop Spring Tips to sound the clearest and most balanced to my ears. The tips are a little flimsy, as the silicone is very thin, but they are a terrific match for Semper. Clarion TRI tips are absolutely dynamite on my UM Indigo and Oriolus Szalayi, but for my IMR sets, the Clarions don't seem to work as well for me. And for my ACE, it is clear that the Whizzer SS20 sound the best. Funny how that works where each IEM, even from the same manufacturer, responds better with different tips. And it can take quite a while to find the perfect match, but when you hear it, you know it.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #12,965 of 18,081
Tip rolling and nozzle rolling was also really important to get the right balance. I've settled on TRI Clarions for the eartips and both the black lower and upper nozzle. I liked the blue upper nozzle, but it pushed vocals a little too far up in the mix which overshadowed some other details for me and felt fatiguing, but the black upper works wonderfully and allows me to listen all day. The other upper nozzles that I tried (red & gold) seemed to remove too much detail in string instruments and also caused the bass to become a little flabby which I didn't like.
Is your black filter with the Elan+ the single piece, i.e., top and bottom in one inseparable unit? That's how it came for me and I know others got it like that too.

Jun 3, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #12,966 of 18,081
+1 for Tri Clarion tips and the IMR BC.

I came across them on the Szalayi thread and thought they would be a good fit for the Kublai Khan. Wrong, it completely hollowed out the kickdrums and ruined the sound + made it impossible to get the fit right.

Tried them on everything else I had to no success. But then along came the BC and they were perfect for security and assisting with the slightly unusual direction of the nozzle. I found I needed to push the BC into my ear at a particular angle and hold it there to get the best sound with other tips, but the Clarions took care of that for me.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #12,967 of 18,081
Sat down for a listen tonight with Ott - Heads on the playlist...
Give a chance to Untangled Everything by Globular, as well.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #12,968 of 18,081
Is your black filter with the Elan+ the single piece, i.e., top and bottom in one inseparable unit? That's how it came for me and I know others got it like that too.
My Elan+ has separate lower and upper black filters.

Jun 4, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #12,969 of 18,081
To the Elan+ owners:
(also, @Zeppmeister and @jon parker )

Are you listening to YouTube? How about Amazon Music Unlimited or Qobuz?
How does it sound to you?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #12,971 of 18,081
To the Elan+ owners:

I've been primarily listening to Qobuz through Roon, but I've been using it for other things as well (youtube, etc.) Sounds good on just about everything, although it seems to shine best with well recorded music.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #12,972 of 18,081
Funny how that works where each IEM, even from the same manufacturer, responds better with different tips. And it can take quite a while to find the perfect match, but when you hear it, you know it.
Absolutely agree, normally Final Audio's tips are my go-to, but on the Elan+ everything sounded distant and hollow. Very helpful to have a nice collection of tips so that you can roll them and find what works best and compliments the IEM.

Jun 4, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #12,973 of 18,081
To the Elan+ owners:
(also, @Zeppmeister and @jon parker )

Amazon Unlimited for streaming.

I have a decent amount of my own high rez sources as well. In both cases, some recordings sound better than others. For my ears, recordings that favor the high-end are a little much on the Elan+. Not sure I can specify anything.

Jun 4, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #12,974 of 18,081
Amazon Unlimited for streaming.

I have a decent amount of my own high rez sources as well. In both cases, some recordings sound better than others. For my ears, recordings that favor the high-end are a little much on the Elan+. Not sure I can specify anything.
Thanks man. Can you elaborate on, or rephrase the bolded text, please? Not quite sure what you mean.

My Elan+ now have more than 1000 hours of burn-in/playback time. I've been listening to them with black/black. Stock tips, but also used the TRI Clarion and the JVC Spiral Dots. My WAV files play fantastic, no issue at all. I was not satisfied from what I was hearing from Amazon Unlimited, Qobuz and YouTube Premium, though. The bass was always there but the treble was muffled. Veiled.

So, for a week now, I am trying the Reference combination, as is shown in the manual. With the TRI clarion tips, the treble opens up but the bass weakens. With the stock tips, the bass is there but the high frequencies weaken again.

I know that there are a lot of nozzle combinations and I have not tried all of the above tips. I just do not understand how some tracks can sound like they are played from a cassette of an 80s player. I also cannot understand how my RAPTGO HOOK-X used with my FiiO UTWS5 can sound so amazingly better in the high frequencies, with everything from YouTube + Amazon + Qobuz, when my Galaxy S23 Ultra has only AptX.

I will try more nozzles and tips.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #12,975 of 18,081
Just want to share my impression of the Seraph with you. I still didn't reach 100 hours but the sound is just wooow. First of all they sound like headphones not an iem. The most amazing 2 things are vocals and sound stage. Vocals just feels so intimate and emotional but at the same time like they are coming from the deep, it's just hard to explain really. I guess because the sound stage is really massive so there is just a very big room for vocals to be heard. Any song or instrument with some reverb effect just sound massive on these. The instrument separation and positioning are really impressive, it's really in all directions. Beside all this bass is surprisingly powerful with a good slam and a lot of rumble with zero bleeding in the middle frequencies. A decent upgrade cable is really needed to unleash this wonderful iem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back