Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #8,746 of 18,531
Anybody had the pleasure to test out the new FiiO BTR7? I'm considering selling my Earstudio ES100 MK2 and putting the money towards getting the FiiO?

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #8,747 of 18,531
Basically what happened is that first suddenly the sound in the left ear almost disappeared. I thought: oh-oh, got a broken pair. Then I moved my head and all became fine. Then it happened again. Then with the other ear. And I realized that I am blocking the vents.

Why this is an issue for me personally is that I mainly listen with my head on a pillow. And yep, I am using foams, but it's still not a panacea. Which is really unfortunate as the shells themselves fit me really well. Not complaining, just sharing the observation.
I just taped up the vents to see what happens and there's no impact. What I suspect you are experiencing is the shape & direction of the nozzles getting blocked in your ear canal. I also sleep with IEMS and with ACE and many others, with my ear against a pillow, the sound gets blocked with foam or with silicone. Only two pairs I have where I don not have this problem: 7Hz Timeless are perfect sleepers, super comfortable, sound good and no sound blockage and the EJ07M also super comfortable to sleep with but no blocked sound with Foams only.

The reason the vent got moved to the back was because on the OG EDP it was placed in the portion of the shell just below the 2 Pin Socket but facing forward and it was at the exact precise angle that if you were outside the wind would catch the vent and howl in the IEM. Ok, maybe "howl" is too strong a word, but it created unsettling wind noise not matter what the music volume happened to be.

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:40 PM Post #8,748 of 18,531
I just taped up the vents to see what happens and there's no impact. What I suspect you are experiencing is the shape & direction of the nozzles getting blocked in your ear canal. I also sleep with IEMS and with ACE and many others, with my ear against a pillow, the sound gets blocked with foam or with silicone. Only two pairs I have where I don not have this problem: 7Hz Timeless are perfect sleepers, super comfortable, sound good and no sound blockage and the EJ07M also super comfortable to sleep with but no blocked sound with Foams only.

The reason the vent got moved to the back was because on the OG EDP it was placed in the portion of the shell just below the 2 Pin Socket but facing forward and it was at the exact precise angle that if you were outside the wind would catch the vent and howl in the IEM. Ok, maybe "howl" is too strong a word, but it created unsettling wind noise not matter what the music volume happened to be.
Absaloutly correct i totally forgot about the wind issue with the OG.
Great bit of detective work Holmes👍

Aug 11, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #8,749 of 18,531
Unfortuantly the camera on my ageing LG V30 is playing up so please excuse the terrible photo🤢 but yes thats a great idea!
And i TRULY think this photo is gong to be MY END GAME😍
You may say potato but i say potato

Anybody had the pleasure to test out the new FiiO BTR7? I'm considering selling my Earstudio ES100 MK2 and putting the money towards getting the FiiO?

I know you like the ES100 but honestly change it out, i got the BTR5 after the ES100 and way better, the BTR7 is probably even better.

BTR7 BAL about 320mW(32Ω loaded)sweeeeeeeet

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #8,750 of 18,531
I was told about 6 weeks ago that I would have a review unit sent out to me, when it will arrive I do not know.

I am not sure many have been sent out yet.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #8,751 of 18,531
My mailman mail carrier often arrives early, even before noon. Sometimes later, especially when there's a sub. There was a sub today. Long wait (5 days short of 7 months since ordering) was made four hours longer.

Putting them in now. Impressions later.

Attachments

• photo_2022-08-11_16-03-36.jpg
    photo_2022-08-11_16-03-36.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 0
Aug 11, 2022 at 6:17 PM Post #8,752 of 18,531
Hello to all,

I have finally received the ACE!

First of all I would like to thank Bob for including three different cables.

As for the sound, it is similar to the original EDP but everything is better, more "natural" and "harmonic".

I don't notice any Flex Driver and with the black+black filters the only problem I have is that the treble sounds slightly high. I imagine that with other filters they will be softened. I am using JVC Spiral Dots.

The cable is a bit uncomfortable for me as it constantly decides to go out of my ears :) ....

I'll let you know more....
Looking forward to hear more on ACE from you and @holsen or anyone of fellow head-fier. I have the OG EDP. The only complain I have with OG EDP is having reduced bass and it requires more power/volume to shine. My original Zenith sounds louder than EDP even on one third of the EDP volume. I guess EDP needs more power/volume due to its Planar driver.
I am bit sensitive to treble, that's why I am not using Zenith anymore due its peak at 5Khz. EDP on other hand is absolutely fine for me in treble area. I wonder if ACE has any peak in treble area.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:21 PM Post #8,753 of 18,531
Looking forward to hear more on ACE from you and @holsen or anyone of fellow head-fier. I have the OG EDP. The only complain I have with OG EDP is having reduced bass and it requires more power/volume to shine. My original Zenith sounds louder than EDP even on one third of the EDP volume. I guess EDP needs more power/volume due to its Planar driver.
I am bit sensitive to treble, that's why I am not using Zenith anymore due its peak at 5Khz. EDP on other hand is absolutely fine for me in treble area. I wonder if ACE has any peak in treble area.

If sensitive to treble i presume you're using the gold filter, would you have tried doubling up on the filter material to cut more treble then add more power for more bass and the treble will be back to where it is now but you have more bass. Or even micropore tape over the filter end. Worth a try to see if they can be tuned a little more.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:26 PM Post #8,754 of 18,531
What I suspect you are experiencing is the shape & direction of the nozzles getting blocked in your ear canal.
You are right. I also taped one shell and the sound was there. Interesting. First time I run into this with IEMs out of a couple dozen. Now I know 😉

Guys who burned in Ace for some considerable time, do the drums still have the same energy as out of the box?

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:27 PM Post #8,755 of 18,531
If sensitive to treble i presume you're using the gold filter, would you have tried doubling up on the filter material to cut more treble then add more power for more bass and the treble will be back to where it is now but you have more bass. Or even micropore tape over the filter end. Worth a try to see if they can be tuned a little more.
thank you for your suggesstions :). I have already tried all these mods with Zenith, but not very helpful. I believe this treble peak is known feature of Zenith. As far as I recall this peak issue was shared by almost every zenith owner in the past.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:29 PM Post #8,756 of 18,531
thank you for your suggesstions :). I have already tried all these mods with Zenith, but not very helpful. I believe this treble peak is known feature of Zenith. As far as I recall this peak issue was shared by almost every zenith owner in the past.

Yes i'm aware and my mistake i was making the suggestion for your EDP not the Zenith but if you're aware of these then all good.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #8,758 of 18,531
The only complain I have with OG EDP is having reduced bass and it requires more power/volume to shine.
I never heard originals, but at least out of the box I had to do the exact opposite with Ace, namely reduce the volume and put green lower (least bass)/blue upper(no filling) to reduce the lower energy. The drums hit waaay to hard for the rest of the sound and sound unbalanced.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:36 PM Post #8,759 of 18,531
I have no treble issue with EDP at all. Infact I am using it with Black lower and Blue upper with Spiral dot eartips :)

I am suggesting what i have to increase the bass on the EDP by using more power, if you did this you would then have an issue with treble because you're sensitive to treble.

Aug 11, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #8,760 of 18,531
I never heard originals, but at least out of the box I had to do the exact opposite with Ace, namely reduce the volume and put green lower (least bass)/blue upper(no filling) to reduce the lower energy. The drums hit waaay to hard for the rest of the sound and sound unbalanced.
I have to agree. These are the easiest to drive planars I've owned. I'm running low gain with all my devices and when A/B comparing with other units, I'm turning the volume down to volume match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back