Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #8,221 of 18,202
Maybe it's like women's perfume, if it's too cheap many won't buy it?

That is definitely a factor. Perceived value and "prestige." As @NellieG mentioned, part of the high price is "fancy" packaging, but that doesn't make them sound any better.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #8,222 of 18,202
Perceived value

A sale only happens when the perceived value exceeds the actual price paid. So if you feel like you're getting a bargain then you are, if you're unsure when clicking buy or swiping the card or handing over the fiat then you are over paying and possibly buying just for prestige.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #8,223 of 18,202
That is definitely a factor. Perceived value and "prestige." As @NellieG mentioned, part of the high price is "fancy" packaging, but that doesn't make them sound any better.

Appreciate the feedback so far.

Over the years I've bought some quite expensive gear (for me) and the packaging really makes it feel like a special purchase, even before you've tried out the actual product which could make things sound better, initially at least being a form of subtle trickery? Then after a few months the effect wears off and you look for the same experience over again.

I really thought I'd found the perfect tips with the Azla Crystals but they are quite wide and unyielding being quite thick. The supplied silicone tips are actually quite good (looking cheap I dismissed them - cheap stuff can't be good right?) and some other thin ones I have are even slightly better, not only in fit but the sound is better to. I'm very surprised they sound better because the supplied silicone ones have a narrower opening compared to the Azla's and with other iem's this usually impacts the sound negatively when the bore is partially obscured.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #8,224 of 18,202
Something I've been meaning to ask... pardon me for interrupting your feeds about Ace and Zenith II. I've been on this audiophile journey for about 3 years, and still getting acclimated to this world. Question: Where does IMR fit in the hierarchy of audio brands?

Price wise, IMR seems to fit toward the top of the "mid range", I suppose (or maybe toward the bottom of the high-end range), but then we all know the price Bob shows usually isn't what you pay. I still get a little sticker shock when I see what it costs for Campfire Audio, UM, Empire Ears, Audio 64, and the TOTL Sennheiser and Sony IEMs, to name a few. Are they worth it or is it down to marketing? I've spent more than $1,000 (don't tell my wife) on IMR in the last 10 months (Elan, DM, R2 Red, Ace), and part of me wonders if I should have just focused on one IEM from those brands.

My perspective is that IMR units definitely have plenty of bang for the buck and some of Bob's creations can definitely go toe-to-toe with those brands. Accurate? I'm on the headfi Facebook group and often see people post images of their $XXXX dollar IEMS, and my tendency is to smile, knowing (assuming) I'm getting about the same performance at a third or a quarter of the cost. What's the truth?

Thanks in advance.

I think you should try other brands with friends/ community people from around. Down here I had the pleasure to try a couple of totl, some were good, some were amazing, some i simply couldn't understand the buzz, all in all everyone has a preferred sound signature and preferred style.

I love being able to customize further my sound and so far find the drivers in imr's are quite competent in every aspect and I love to toy around further with filters and stuff.

The thing that stunts me sometimes is that there’s some still thinking that the more they pay the better it sounds, that’s just rubbish. Some 1k+ iems ain’t worth it for me, some are justifiable but still not in my likes. The answer overall is really subjective.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #8,226 of 18,202
The ETS has finally arrived, so I thought I would share some of my early impressions of the green, silver, and blue ETS when installed on the Avalon.

Green - very warm and with boosted bass, but what immediately jumps out at you is how forward the vocals are, like there is a blanket hanging between the singer and the rest of the instruments, which makes it sound slightly veiled when it comes to instruments; this filter also enhances the Avalon's warm fuzziness, so note resolution isn't as sharp as with the original blue tip filter.

Silver - this one is more neutral but still on the warm-ish side; it offers a very balanced and highly cohesive and smooth musical presentation, so nothing jumps out at you; vocals not as forward as on the green ETS but very clean and intimate; it offers less bass than the green ETS, too, and sounds really clean without being dry, but detail-wise it still can't hold a candle to the original blue filter's clarity and resolution.

Blue - I really don't know what to think about this one, as it basically turns Avalon into Elysium, making it veiled, blurry, syrupy, but once your brain adjusts to it, it becomes pleasant, musical, non-fatiguing and easy to listen to, but I don't think anybody bought the Avalon to tune out all of the outstanding detail retrieval; vocals are somewhat forward like with the green ETS and the overall tuning is warm and relaxing. I found this one to sound really good with rock.

I think I will stick with my red-blue combination on the Avalon, however, but I will give the ETS a try with my Semper.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #8,227 of 18,202
Just noticed with the increased price there is a slight change to the discription now. It actually stated the BC motor is "Sonion" and has removed any mention of open & closed back.
I'm a little annoyed actually regarding the open-back being dropped, especially without notice! I purchased Ace over the previous2 models due to the open-back increasing bass!
Haven't received my Ace yet so keeping fingers crossed the closed back plus black nozzle will give me the bass i need? I'm a total basshead😜

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #8,228 of 18,202
I received my Aces last night after a long DHL trip. I was glad to see the pro package and the three cables, those were nice adds. The cables are really nice - I'm glad to have them and not the black ones from last year. I saw the pictures of the shells and was a little concerned, but the minute I put them in my ears I was sold. While I love my Reds and Elysiums, they can be a little finicky to insert - these are not. They fit perfectly, and I can actually sleep with these things in and they pretty much disappear. I think the amount of surface contact also helps the BC. These have strong action on that front.

And the sound? Wow. I'm waiting for burn in to start rolling filters, but this thing is fantastic out of the box. For anyone who is worried about bass, don't be. These things can be like a big sub box sitting in the back of your car. Deep and powerful. The soundstage is spacious, and there's a nice space between instruments that shows you the detail in the tracks. I've become a huge fan of planars, and always loved DDs, so this thing is looking like a home run. The only thing I'm hoping that changes is the middle is a bit tight, but that's been my experience with other planars until they burn in. They were in my ear holes for hours last night, and I couldn't wait for each new track to come up. "Last Train Home" by Pat Metheny was a revelation - I could pick out every instrument and the pulses from the drums and bass were palpable. So yeah, I'm loving the Ace so far. I can't wait to hear what they grow up to be after burn in. It was definitely worth the wait!

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #8,229 of 18,202
I received my Aces last night after a long DHL trip. I was glad to see the pro package and the three cables, those were nice adds. The cables are really nice - I'm glad to have them and not the black ones from last year. I saw the pictures of the shells and was a little concerned, but the minute I put them in my ears I was sold. While I love my Reds and Elysiums, they can be a little finicky to insert - these are not. They fit perfectly, and I can actually sleep with these things in and they pretty much disappear. I think the amount of surface contact also helps the BC. These have strong action on that front.

And the sound? Wow. I'm waiting for burn in to start rolling filters, but this thing is fantastic out of the box. For anyone who is worried about bass, don't be. These things can be like a big sub box sitting in the back of your car. Deep and powerful. The soundstage is spacious, and there's a nice space between instruments that shows you the detail in the tracks. I've become a huge fan of planars, and always loved DDs, so this thing is looking like a home run. The only thing I'm hoping that changes is the middle is a bit tight, but that's been my experience with other planars until they burn in. They were in my ear holes for hours last night, and I couldn't wait for each new track to come up. "Last Train Home" by Pat Metheny was a revelation - I could pick out every instrument and the pulses from the drums and bass were palpable. So yeah, I'm loving the Ace so far. I can't wait to hear what they grow up to be after burn in. It was definitely worth the wait!
Fantastic I'm SO happy about the BASS👍
I knew these things would be speacial as soon as i read the product discription and so happy they have turned out the way they have.
With yours & Jon Parker's impression's i cannot wait to receive mime😍

Aug 2, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #8,230 of 18,202
Well my IMR Ace is on the way. Missed it today as I was at Cardiac Rehab, but I will collect it tomorrow. When I do have my first listen I will begin with my customary moan......six and a half months to get them, and I genuinely never expected to live that long. BUT I will big up Bob and criticize him together with praise, because his IEMs are top of my tree, but the fecking wait is silly. I really hope Bob/IMR can change, because they are on the cusp of greatness, but all too close to doing themselves self-harm. Honey on a razor's edge, it can go either way. I hope that it works out for him as he is a talented man.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #8,231 of 18,202
Holy cow, finally: Accepted at Post Office 🤗 🎊

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #8,232 of 18,202
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #8,233 of 18,202
Aug 2, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #8,234 of 18,202
I’m just checking in…my tracking number is still dead. It sounds like more and more people are actually getting their Aces, which is awesome. But is anyone else still in the same no-status boat with their tracking number?

Update: Never mind. My tracking is live. Now more waiting... :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back