Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 25, 2022 at 8:51 PM Post #5,131 of 18,541
To all the drums lovers, have you listened to this album? If you haven't, hurry and get to it. One of the best, if not the very best I have ever listened:

Screenshot_20220226-071902_Chrome.jpg

Feb 26, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #5,133 of 18,541
I found a friend who also listens to drum and bass. welcome my friend. for me, I still haven't found my dream IEM. I also find that there is still a lack of sub bass. I always have to increase the region below 125 Hz at the max and that swells me up. I hesitate to invest in empire ears hero. It goes down to 5 hz and have a special woofer. but the DD is 9mm. I prefer to have a bigger DD. in this sense, the new 14.6 mm DD of the new zenith 2 promises beautiful sub bass. but i don't like t Frankenstein shell. I will wait and hope for a setup with this big DD and EST in addition Bob will offer cheaper AMT drivers this year.it could be interesting. and until then the Avalon and my new Fiio fh9 (with EQ) do the job. I wish you good luck in your search for the dream IEM sub bass and may the drum and bass continue to resonate and make us deaf.🥳🥰
Hello my friend great to finally find a die hard DnB fan on the IMR thread👍
I have exactly the issue's & feeling's with EVERYTHING you mention, especially the lack of Sub-bass below 125hrz on most IEM'S! Also i have not found my dream IEM? The closest i have got was the EE Bravado mk2 but the bass was just too bloated impairing the mids & vocals FAR to much, i was really really gutted about this because my dream is a monitor with an excellent DD for bass, BA for Mids and Sonion EST for highs which it had! So i decided to go a different route and save hard for the UM Mest mk2 and see if i could push the there phenomenal dynamic driver into basshead territory and it has NEARLY worked but i need to find the right tips for the last 10%? What I'm doing is pretty unconventional & unique which many would not agree with but it works a charm and the ONLY downside is it can produce a slight bit of noise in the shape of hiss when music is not playing and in VERY quiet pasaages! But you cannot hear this at all when out and about with music playing and the bass quantity & quality i get is well worth it!
What i done is buy the fantastic EarStudio ES100 MK2 Bluetooth headphone Amp/DAC which has an amazing sound processesing app with 10 band EQ with wide & narrow Q, DAC EQ pre-filtering, EQ Processing Headroom,
Analog Volume Control & DAC Oversampling. I apply a huge 12db Wide Q Boost @31.5hz & 10db @63hz & 6db @125hz, i then set the remaining 7 band to add some detail & clarity back to the midrange & vocal and sparkle to the high end. What i do next is the unconventional part and something many audiophiles will turn their nose up at! I open a "Second EQ" app namely "Power EQ" and turn the bass boost setting ON! I don't touch any of the EQ bands just leave them flat! What this does is had a HUGE amount of "deapth" to the sub-bass region leaving the mid-bass pretty much alone giving a beautiful rumble! This works Absaloutly PHENOMENAL with my MEST mk2 & IMR SOG! I just want to find a "touch" more Sub-bass 'Quantity' for the MEST which I'm hoping a Tip change will do? Other than the "Slight" hiss in quiet passages and when no music is playing im 95% happy with this set-up and when I'm not listening to DnB i just leave the Power EQ out of the chain! It really is quite something for when I'm listening to Drum&Bass especially my 3 favorite producers Dimension,Andy-C and Wilkinson!
There are 2 other items im also seriously considering buying? The 'Focus Audio EDM' IEM's and the Digizoid ZOfs? The latter is a portable headphone Amp/Dac with a 30 Step Bass EQ & 30 Step Treble EQ and a 100 Step Volume, Amazing bit of kit! Only problem is it cost £175+Import Tax's & Shipping costs from the U.S! The Focus EDM on the other hand are only £125 from Linsoul with free shipping and these things are supposed to be a basshead dream? I started noticing great reviews about them saying they are not only a down right out & out Basshead dream but, they also have a fantastic sound in general with great technicalities! I then found a frequency Response chart and thought WOW they really look similar to Legend-X below 4-5khz! Then BGGR reviewed them and compared the sound to Legend-X, he then compared them to Aurasonics ASG2.5 & Sony EX800ST and said they are MUCH better and ended the review reccomending them as one of the best basshead IEM'S available! So I'm in the process of putting money aside to pick a set up? Sorry I'm gonna stop rabbiting on now lol
Again its a pleasure to meet you my friends and if you manage to find your/mine dream DD/EST Basshead IEM "PLEASE" let me know and hope to chat more in the future.🎶👍

Feb 26, 2022 at 7:41 AM Post #5,134 of 18,541
So far I have used my IMR SOG on my Zishan Z3 to test it. The best nozzle + filter combination seems to be the reference combo. Purple nozzle with red filter worked the best for me. Sounds very balanced without any sibilance. In fact, it carefully avoids the sibilance areas. Absolutely no EQ needed. The tips did not quite fitted my ears so I tried SpinFit tips and different foam tips. Decided to go with Tennmak Whirlwind tips. The cable is OK, but I prefer the sound and feel of my KBear 8 core copper.

The sound: That's the best. With the nozzle + filter I used it is reference-like. Perfect midrange and perfect amount of low end, never too much. The highs are super easy to listen to and very engaging. However since it is a 1DD IEM it cannot compare to the smooth planar highs like the 7Hz Timeless. The resolution seems to be slightly less good then the resolution the 7Hz Timeless can provide. However the vocals are enormously good and easy to pick out, much better then the Timeless. I hear a lot of micro and macro-details, especially after the cable swap. Good copper cable enhances details here. Since I can hear so much details now I am happy with the technicalities. It is indeed very fun to listen to. At this point I did not burn it in at all, so this is likely getting better. In comparision: Timeless has more resolution and better highs, IMR SOG has more details, far better tuning (incredible tuning), wide soundstage (perfect), it is open back, better bass, super fun to listen to.

It even seems that the IMR SOG is more cable-dependend the the Timeless.

Off to 100 hour burn-in now. I am gonna let Daft Punk - Random Access Memories play on repeat while the IMR SOG is in a little bag.

Feb 26, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #5,135 of 18,541
I ordered an iem (showing in stock) and a few days later given a tracking number which still says unable to confirm status of item. Is this normal? I expected it Thursday.
signed for may not show until it literally arrives and is signed for !
I wouldn't worry

Feb 26, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #5,136 of 18,541
With about 100 hours of burn-in on my Avalon, I changed the configuration to red nozzle and blue filter, which is the default combination for me in the case of IMR earphones, and SpiralDot++ tips. Damn, but it still has some sweet sub-bass. It's detailed, but not as bright and dry as the Semper can sometimes get. It reminds me of IT07 a lot, except less bright.

I still support what I said initially, however: this are the best vocals I've heard on an IMR product. Overall a very balanced, warm presentation. I'm looking forward to what happens over the next 100-200 hours.
Actually I'm confused when I hear you saying the Avalon is warm wounding and less bright than Semper. For me it is the other way around. I find Avalon bright with piano notes and some female vocals. Maybe we have different players and that's what explains why we hear different things

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #5,137 of 18,541
@Zeppmeister With chopped foams i also hear the sound getting wider, as the tube protrudes only slightly over the nozzle, compared to a long tube in a silicone tip.

Trying modified foam and I think you're right about wider (specifically with my Elan). Will keep listening.

You may be a genius, my friend!

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #5,138 of 18,541
Actually I'm confused when I hear you saying the Avalon is warm wounding and less bright than Semper. For me it is the other way around. I find Avalon bright with piano notes and some female vocals. Maybe we have different players and that's what explains why we hear different things
It may also be the difference in how we hear things or unit variation or a dozen other factors, including preferred sound signature, too. Ear anatomy which affects how well bone conduction works on us could also make a difference.

Feb 26, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #5,139 of 18,541
It may also be the difference in how we hear things or unit variation or a dozen other factors, including preferred sound signature, too. Ear anatomy which affects how well bone conduction works on us could also make a difference.
TOTALLY agree with everything especially the ear anatomy and how we hear things👍

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:04 PM Post #5,140 of 18,541
Any rec's on a DAP with exellent bass & high -res streaming capabilities around £100-£150?

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #5,141 of 18,541
Grand occasion lol: my 1000th post here. I will dedicate it to the story of my IMR journey so far.

The R1 was a muscular android whom I found standing in my living room with a huge grin on his face. He had bashed the front door open and scared me a bit at first, but it soon became clear that he meant only good to me. Any other iem that came close to my ears he would effortlessly swat away. He is still a great gym buddy, the kind who spots your heaviest bar with his little finger and stretches you till it pops. And he still has that great big grin in his face.

The Zenith was the same guy, but in a top hat and speaking in a weird posh accent. We had to part ways.

The R2 came swinging even harder, faster, stronger than the R1; he is the pal who pulls out all the stops so he can be sure you are having a great time together. Total robot bromance. Robromance.

The Rah were a chameleon device. They would mirror life so perfectly it was eerie. But they were so in touch with the world that they bled all their noise into it in return. We couldn’t stick together because it would expose me too damn much; it was a sad farewell.

The submarine Halcyon surged from the deep and spoke in a deep baritone. His wail moved me but I could not live as low as he would dive, where little light filters from the surface. Back to the abyss he plunged and both of us sighed.

The Semper was a full-fledged spaceship, able to zip anywhere and laser its way in and out of the most complex passages without a bruise on its shiny shell. It was a lively, perfect creature, but how do you cram an entire spaceship in your ears? They would never stay in. On it rode, back to its native country, for its glory to be enjoyed by a fellow explorer.

And tonight I sail with the Dark Matter, new friends spawned from the black between the stars to take me through clouds of fiery dust. Behind I will remain where the bass is the light, and watch you my friends as you bask in splashes of red or gold, cross the event horizon, and reach the evergreen fields of celestial Avalon.

Feb 26, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #5,142 of 18,541
Any rec's on a DAP with exellent bass & high -res streaming capabilities around £100-£150?
Nothing much streams at that price. Maybe Sony’s A series if you’re ok with single-ended output and, most importantly, escape the dreaded EU volume cap.

Feb 26, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #5,143 of 18,541
signed for may not show until it literally arrives and is signed for !
I wouldn't worry

Posted days ago using 'drop and go', not familiar with that, given a tracking number but nothing showing, not even time received.
Sog's came really quickly and read others had issues with postage for their DM and Avalon's so thought maybe a delay was normal.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 7:36 PM Post #5,144 of 18,541
Posted days ago using 'drop and go', not familiar with that, given a tracking number but nothing showing, not even time received.

Im not sure if 'Drop-n-go' is referring to the new-ish bigger postal boxs where you can post packages now instead of just letters
That being the case it would need to be picked up, taken to Local sorting office THEN a Hub before going to you. Hard to say as 'Arkham' is not of this world so don't know if its going to UK or further !
3 huge storms here the last week which may have delayed things.
Anyway - sometimes tracking doesn't work for me
I would certainly email Bob if nothing arrives by Tuesday.
As I say sometimes my Royal Mail tracking numbers don't update until I have received the item!! - It might be a non-trackable number which falls under some signed for categories of posting - That would explain you receiving A number but not getting further updates

Most if not all of my IMR purchases have arrived signed for
Maybe the label was printed off (which can trigger the number going live) but was physically posted Friday after last post - That also would explain the situation ?

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #5,145 of 18,541
Grand occasion lol: my 1000th post here. I will dedicate it to the story of my IMR journey so far.

The R1 was a muscular android whom I found standing in my living room with a huge grin on his face. He had bashed the front door open and scared me a bit at first, but it soon became clear that he meant only good to me. Any other iem that came close to my ears he would effortlessly swat away. He is still a great gym buddy, the kind who spots your heaviest bar with his little finger and stretches you till it pops. And he still has that great big grin in his face.

The Zenith was the same guy, but in a top hat and speaking in a weird posh accent. We had to part ways.

The R2 came swinging even harder, faster, stronger than the R1; he is the pal who pulls out all the stops so he can be sure you are having a great time together. Total robot bromance. Robromance.

The Rah were a chameleon device. They would mirror life so perfectly it was eerie. But they were so in touch with the world that they bled all their noise into it in return. We couldn’t stick together because it would expose me too damn much; it was a sad farewell.

The submarine Halcyon surged from the deep and spoke in a deep baritone. His wail moved me but I could not live as low as he would dive, where little light filters from the surface. Back to the abyss he plunged and both of us sighed.

The Semper was a full-fledged spaceship, able to zip anywhere and laser its way in and out of the most complex passages without a bruise on its shiny shell. It was a lively, perfect creature, but how do you cram an entire spaceship in your ears? They would never stay in. On it rode, back to its native country, for its glory to be enjoyed by a fellow explorer.

And tonight I sail with the Dark Matter, new friends spawned from the black between the stars to take me through clouds of fiery dust. Behind I will remain where the bass is the light, and watch you my friends as you bask in splashes of red or gold, cross the event horizon, and reach the evergreen fields of celestial Avalon.
Love this! Took me on a journey albeit vicariously!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back