Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jun 11, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #2,626 of 18,240
So, the EDP+ is currently like a super soft mellow and sweet cookie dough on the inside with a tough strong fast muscular greyhound exterior. :slight_smile:

Good Lord, talk about taking analogies to an extreme :)
They are a bit of a bugger though - one minute, female vocals sound incredibly real and lush and the next minute other vocals sound dry and not right. Sometimes the brass crash of the cymbal and the loooong tail off is perfect and then it sounds a bit distant. The tonality of the drums is not there yet
They are being a real tease at the moment
One minute they entice you over whispering 'Look what I can do' and you think WOW...give me more...and then she turns her back and walks away :D
I don't think I've ever been THIS interested in how an IEM is going to mature.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #2,627 of 18,240
I kinda like the analogies to be honest, it gives the glimpse into the future possibilities with the ability to talk about the new toys without claiming outright the standard boring and typical audiophile descriptors.
This is probably why i am anti cable upgrade to be honest as every cable is described as the same bass is deeper and tighter the treble is more airy and extended and the soundstage is larger, with whatever is the current audio signature flavour thrown on top for good measure to effectively describe their upgrade as a larger improvement in audio than changing the whole system would achieve.
So keep them coming.

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:52 PM Post #2,629 of 18,240
For a second i thought you are talking about me..😂

How is it going Nellie?

Anyone received any new models yet?

SShhhhhh that is supposed to be a secret, what happens in the club stays in the club <3

It's going ok really, standard life sucks, music is keeping it all together. How are you dear are you staying lowkey still...

Jun 11, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #2,630 of 18,240
@Skullar you need this in your life

344C5F68-2BD6-4D7B-9217-30E9E724E947.jpeg

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #2,631 of 18,240
SShhhhhh that is supposed to be a secret, what happens in the club stays in the club <3

It's going ok really, standard life sucks, music is keeping it all together. How are you dear are you staying lowkey still...
Ha. The only thing is, after just clocking my 1st year of fatherhood, long hours in the office, and no time for myself, i became stiff on thr inside and soft on the outside lol. But i cant complain. We
Are gradually getting our freedom back. And a a bright warm summer is just adding to good mood.

@Skullar you need this in your life

344C5F68-2BD6-4D7B-9217-30E9E724E947.jpeg
This actually is quite cool. 10 years ago i would have probably bought it. Now i would be kicked in a face by my wife?

So what your new IMR model?

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #2,632 of 18,240
This actually is quite cool. 10 years ago i would have probably bought it. Now i would be kicked in a face by my wife?

i became stiff on thr inside and soft on the outside lol.

Technically it will only hurt just a little, deep down you're solid sooooo.

My newest IMR based on time of ownership is my Red, my newest IMR by release date is PB1 if i recall the correct order they were released, so many since that time. Seriously though i have not been able to order any of the latest ones unfortunately but still interested in everyone's viewpoints.

Jun 12, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #2,633 of 18,240
EDP+ - 25 hours in

Just a 'quick' update now that the EDP+ have had enough time to warm up and settle in a bit
I found the grey/red a bit thin on first listen so I changed to Gold/red and much better

Of course its still very early days but one analogy that comes to mind on the over all sound is that of a 4K Hi Res super high definition, Everything is profoundly clean and sharp and clear but its a little artificial . . . but only in the way that Reel to Reel or Tubes sounds different to purely digital.

What this means practically is that listening to something like FKA Twigs is pretty mind blowing! but listening to Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is maybe a little bit 'too good'!
Maybe this is unfair though because Ive become used to the Electrostat drivers of the Opus - said to to be the most 'natural-to-life' sounding drivers. ?

Bear in mind though - this is very subtle - I listen to audio deeply and critically for a living so nothing escapes my annoyingly critical ears ):

Listening to Rumours now though its very very good - Nothing to actually critique at all and the sound will still improve greatly

One thing about the bass though - There is plenty of it - no problems there at all - BUT the quality of it is quite something. Its difficult to express what that means though....
EDIT: Just realised Im using 3.5mm but I usually use 4.4mm so that explains pushing the volume up a bit more!
There is nothing added to the bass which means you hear the low end as it was recorded/mixed/mastered
For example listening to a drum set - the fast attack and clarity means you can really hear every piece in the kit individually and really hear the individual drum pieces tonality.

There is still sometimes some harshness - like too much clarity is trying to be forced through a hole that is too small! but this is much less that yesterday and Im sure will smooth out

Anyway, Im starting to ramble on -

One impression Im gettin with the new ADLC driver is that it has more control over the low end - fast transients and the ability to separate individual / different sounds / textures / tonalities in the music very well indeed

The vocals always seem to have incredible clarity and space within the mix

Its looking like the EDP+ does need a bit more power than other IMR's to drive but that is maybe expected with a planar driver?
Will have another good listen after 100+ hours :D

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #2,634 of 18,240
One thing about the bass though - There is plenty of it - no problems there at all - BUT the quality of it is quite something. Its difficult to express what that means though....
There is nothing added to the bass which means you hear the low end as it was recorded/mixed/mastered
For example listening to a drum set - the fast attack and clarity means you can really hear every piece in the kit individually and really hear the individual drum pieces tonality.

How would you expect the 10mm to behave given your experience of the 6mm.

Jun 12, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #2,636 of 18,240
How would you expect the 10mm to behave given your experience of the 6mm.

I genuinely dread to imagine!! :D Bob says the Astra has more pistonic action than any other previous IMR !
I just cant imagine. - It seems like a sort of contradiction - Piston action giving the greatest bass when needed but then again the ADLC having such profound control... So I guess bigger and better?? :)

After writing the post above i had a total MIND BLOWN experience.
Listening to Deep Purple - 'Fireball' and then 'No,no,no' - I have NEVER heard such an extraordinary soundstage - the clarity and positioning of each and every instrument was like nothing I had ever heard before. Impossible to describe - I can only think of listening whilst on Magic mushrooms! in the sense that the mind creates this magical otherworldy ethereal appearance
I've listened to this album many times but never heard anything like it this time.

Also I realized I have never heard such clarity and intimacy of vocals - Again hard to explain but Im hearing every word with an intimacy such that Im hearing every word, almost like for the first time

Listened to Hanz Zimmer - Interstellar - The sub bass is breathtakingly controlled but deep creamy rich and smooth

Just listening to Radiohead - A Moon Shaped Pool and it really is as perfect a sound as I could hope for
Again, mind blowing considering we only 30 hours in
The spacial 3D is magical as well, depth, width

Beginning to realise just how very special this IEM is going to be

Also - someone asked about sibilance - Listening to Peter Gabriel - So - Not only was there ZERO sibilance but the sibilance that he usually has was completely gone !? and all his 'sss' where 'normal'
I really can't imagine how the EDP+ has achieved this! whilst still having such clear vocals

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 12:00 PM Post #2,637 of 18,240
Went open back and to me the bass is more controlled but it’s early days, at the moment I’m on purple bass and gold treble.
They are an impressive iem.
On most if not all my IMRs I always seem to end up with Purple / gold ! With my set up it just seems to give the most balanced sound.
Im tempted to swop to open back but I bought the EDP+ as my 'Audiophile out-an-about' IEM only so I'll probably stick to the closed back - Can you see much of the inside workings ?

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #2,638 of 18,240
I genuinely dread to imagine!! :D Bob says the Astra has more pistonic action than any other previous IMR !
I just cant imagine. - It seems like a sort of contradiction - Piston action giving the greatest bass when needed but then again the ADLC having such profound control... So I guess bigger and better?? :)
Bigger and better is my desire.

After writing the post above i had a total MIND BLOWN experience.
Listening to Deep Purple - 'Fireball' and then 'No,no,no' - I have NEVER heard such an extraordinary soundstage - the clarity and positioning of each and every instrument was like nothing I had ever heard before. Impossible to describe - I can only think of listening whilst on Magic mushrooms! in the sense that the mind creates this magical otherworldy ethereal appearance
I've listened to this album many times but never heard anything like it this time.
I imagined the bone conduction to give this experience.

I wish the Elan to be as per your descriptors of experience. Maybe it will be that and more, hard to say as you have planar in EDP+ and Elan has bone conduction.

Is the EDP+ the same Semper planar or another new one?
Have you spoken to Bob regarding the Elan at all, i have not been intouch with him since the Semper as i knew i couldn't buy any of the new ones so i figured best to not take his time but i am hoping i can get the Elan.

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:16 PM Post #2,639 of 18,240
On most if not all my IMRs I always seem to end up with Purple / gold ! With my set up it just seems to give the most balanced sound.
Im tempted to swop to open back but I bought the EDP+ as my 'Audiophile out-an-about' IEM only so I'll probably stick to the closed back - Can you see much of the inside workings ?
I thought it was just the plate that would come off when you removed the three screws but the back can also come off so you do see inside.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back