Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 14, 2021 at 2:59 PM Post #1,846 of 18,039
I'm not big into rules because if you've got a healthy culture and behave with integrity, you don'tneed rules, the culture becomes the regulatory mechanism. Having said that I think it's time to set some rules here.: Only one rule actually. We Have To Stop Talking About These Loyalty Codes.

Last year I was approached several times by different individuals inquiring about the loyalty codes, percentages, and if I'd share mine. And if I'm being approached, several of you are also being approached. Typically it will be those of us who post with any kind of frequency. To be clear, I dont blame the one who asks, If I read something somewhere about a possible discount I didn't have, I probably ask too. I was approached again this morning and I really want to encourage all of us to stop taking about IMR Loyalty Codes on these threads. The code is gift from Bob to you an me for our Loyalty as a valuable customer. Now that IMR is starting to generate a lot more traction, we're attracting a lot of new set of interested parties and when they start reading about codes and realizing they don't have one, well, all kinds of things can run through their minds. SHARING CODES or even talking about them is neither fair to Bob, each other, or the new prospective customer. Its a gift for loyalty. I remember when I received my gift after the first purchase.... I was floored, delighted and grateful Bob's been loyal to all of us, let's remain loyal to him and just take this part of the conversation out of the threads.

Anyway, here's what I had to say to this mornings inquirer: "Hi. I've written extensively how I fell about about this. We all begin our IMR journey by purchasing our first unit from Bob at full retail or full B Stock price directly from IMR. In return Bob gifts us with a loyalty CODE which is good towards future purchases. Most but not all IMRs qualify for use of this code and the percentage of discount can and does vary in different seasons and on different products. But It's called a loyalty code for a reason. It's a gift for our loyalty to Bob and for Bob's loyalty to his community. Somewhere last year people started sharing their loyalty codes with non customers. And frankly, there's no integrity in it. That's neither loyal to Bob nor to each other. So yes, there is a discount available to those who became customers on the IMR path but the level of discount available is no ones business until they become part of the community by becoming an IMR customer through IMR."

This individual came back with more questions about the codes and here's what I suggested"
I dont blame you for asking the question. I'd ask it too if I were aware. I've got a suggestion for you. I think that if you wrote to Bob and asked if you bought an accessory cable, if that would qualify you for a loyalty code, he's probably say yes. I cant speak for him, and I wont speak for him but I believe he'd honor that. If you became a customer by purchasing one of his products. It's exactly how I started. I bought an R1 Zenith B Stock for s smokin' price directly from IMR (not DROP, eBay or the FS Forum) and that got me the code for everything else, except the last generation EDP because it didn't qualify for anyone. I'm not going to tell you the loyalty level. Bob is a REALLY GREAT GUY and easy to talk to, so, have the discussion with him. Tell him you're interested and ask him if buying something, anything, will get you a code .... I don't know what he'll answer but I know you'll open up a channel of communication with really great guy."

Anyway, I'm not prone to ranting but I am stuck on what's right, fair and of integrity.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #1,847 of 18,039
You’ve contradicted yourself: you just told me as a non IMR customer yet you said that above?

Loyalty codes discussion is what comes up when searching on IMR and understanding discounts etc. So if you stop talking it will still show up.

36 minutes ago
holsen
1000+ Head-Fier
for existing customers, and the current offernings it's 30%. Honestly, becoming a customer is a great deal! I really think you should write to Bob and I really think you'll be amazed at how he responds to you

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2021 at 8:10 PM Post #1,848 of 18,039
So do you guys prefer OM to semper?
At the time you asked this question, - it was Opus Mia. But today I've spent my first full weekend(better part of it) with Semper, only switching to OM occasionally to compare. 500+ hours of passive burn in, Purple nozzle, Green filter, stock 2.5mm cable.
Earlier I couldn't get rid of suffocating, smothering effect of overly thick lower & mid bass. No issue with sub-bass, other than that going below Purple nozzle setting wasn't worth it as it would noticeably decrease impact on the low end and dampen the dynamics.
I know what fine IMR club members going to say: "What are you doing here if you're bass sensitive?"
Yes, I'm not a bass-head, moreover, at times I'm so bass sensitive that I spend days with Moondrop S8, Fiio FA9(which BTW has the best BA bass, better than se846 in quality), and even iBasso AM05(but that one is also has hot lower treble that I'm sensitive to too:face_palm:). iBasso it07, Rose, Volt & MEST have to wait for better time.:triportsad: EDP is the only IMR I can use at the time like this.
The problem is that Semper was promised to be tunable to be neutral IEM, and it didn't deliver at all.
Now the good: Semper is better than OM by significant margin but only if you're willing to embrace its natural warm, dense & heavy tonality. It has its charm and in fact works for me on days like today when I listen on low volume, which it does a lot better than OM just like Rah did. OM likes higher volume to show of dynamics and seems like the tonality also improves noticeably on higher volumes. (My volume on BTR5-2.5 - 18/100 Low Gain).
Switching from Semper made OM sound shallow and hollow and OMs vast & airy soundstage felt hazy, lacking realism and precision. With purple nozzle Semper bass retains its might and control and is experience to behold! It's addictive, more than Rah but in the same way. After about 30 min - auditory adjustment(brain burn-in) takes care of mids muddiness and slight harshness at lower treble, and good experience begins. I guess, if my brain is willing to go the last mile, it must be close enough.:smile_phones:
Fit is not bad at all for such sizable IEM. Only after entire day I finally starting to feel some pressure points but no more than most of my better fitting IEMs.
For warm and thick tonality, - it beats Volt and Semper treble extends higher than it07. Percussion timbre is better than it07 BA(even though it07 has minimum issue there). I hear occasionally familiar Planar timbre reminiscent of EDP, Cupid & P1, but I prefer it to overly light ethereal EST presentation(Rose, Roland).
The only IEM that still reigns supreme is beloved MEST(when I can bear it). I'm getting the appreciation of Semper bass, on some acoustic tracks it gives me goosebumps. MEST bass is also very good but very different. Its bass more similar to it07 than Volt, but Volt is the only IEM with thickness and fullness that can be compared to Semper. I'd like to write more but sadly, out of time. I hope all of you in this thread having good holidays too.
:beerchug: :vulcan:

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #1,849 of 18,039
IMR IEM's constantly surprise me - By far the 'best' or better to saw the most stunning in terms of 3d holograph, insane separation, micro details, clarity and being perfectly balanced between low, mids and highs is the...[drum roll please] ATEN !
A single Aten driver IMR all be it in the same chassis as Opus Mia & Semper.
Im suspicious at how well it is performing... to the degree that I had to look inside to check it was just the one driver! On some rare occasions you do find a perfect synergy between your source, time, tips, cable that gives you in essence [for your personal listening needs] perfection.

This reminds me again about the difference between the WOW factor and the AHHH factor. WOW factor headphones initially makes you go WOW . . .BUT quickly loose their attraction and after a while become a bit tiring, where as AHHHH headphones just sound....'right' and natural, true to the source - You need to be quiet and in a good space, giving them high quality audio to really get that knowing AHHHH feeling - to effortlessly relax and naturally absorb INTO the music
This is certainly what it means to be an Audiophile to me :)

I was in the wine trade for a fair few years. It takes a long time to learn why great wines are actually 'great' what balance and maturity actually mean - Very similar with IEMs - Taken me many years and Im still learning what 'quality' actually sounds like. Same for balance, mids, highs etc etc
There was a famous sound engineer who near the end of his 40 years career said that 'it was only my last few years of my career that I finally understood what low end quality actually sounds like'
Anyway, the ATEN gives many WOW factors but is mixed between being very high quality while also gives many, more mature AHHHHH moments. Its a fascinating IEM for me in this regard

As @Owludio takes about - Its a real blessing to have a few different IEM's that excel in different ways to match different times and needs :)

@holsen - Fair point. Discretion is the better part of valour. Loyalty is a rare and precious attribute to both receive and give these days

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #1,850 of 18,039
A single Aten driver IMR all be it in the same chassis as Opus Mia & Semper.
The Aten is a bi-brid, not a single driver. "Bespoke 5th generation Ceramic hybrid Aten driver featuring uprated rare earth Neodymium motors with a composite diaphragm + high resolution Piezo ceramic driver" - to quote from the Aten product page.

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,851 of 18,039
The Aten is a bi-brid, not a single driver. "Bespoke 5th generation Ceramic hybrid Aten driver featuring uprated rare earth Neodymium motors with a composite diaphragm + high resolution Piezo ceramic driver" - to quote from the Aten product page.
The Aten has always had the set up hasn't it ? Anyway, I was meaning it in the sense that it is different (SHOULD perform 'lesser') from the higher end models that ALSO feature Electrostatic or Planar drivers in Addition to the Aten driver
I am blown away by how well is performing in this regard :)
Edit: Im going to have to go back to my RED2 to compare (which I actually think is THE best IEM that Bob has done...but it would be difficult to explain why!)

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #1,852 of 18,039
Well, however you meant it, I agree. When I got the Aten I was floored by what I was hearing through it and it made me realise I should start dialling back my IEM purchases because it's just that good and I found the one I would definitely keep.

Feb 15, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #1,853 of 18,039
Well, however you meant it, I agree. When I got the Aten I was floored by what I was hearing through it and it made me realise I should start dialling back my IEM purchases because it's just that good and I found the one I would definitely keep.
Aha -you got one too :D - I cant believe the way it throws out instruments into their unique individual space in the soundstage so you can REALLY hear everything about that instrument to same degree of detail as if there was nothing else going on with the music - Pure magic

I think you are right - for me these IMR's are my (dare I say it) end game IEMS. Now its more about enjoying different seasonings that bring out slightly different emphasises on a 3* Michelin stared meal. I honestly couldn't be happier with the meal - Every mouthful brings such magical delights. I enjoy a good old British fry up but for fine wine dining the IMR's are simply unparalleled

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #1,854 of 18,039
How to make your Aten sing? You need but one click of the left mouse button.

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #1,855 of 18,039
How to make your Aten sing? You need but one click of the left mouse button.

Yeah but look at that haircut though - This is exactly why people should not get involved with Jazz :/

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #1,856 of 18,039
Yeah but look at that haircut though - This is exactly why people should not get involved with Jazz :/
I don't know... I find it hot, myself >.>

But back on the subject of the Aten. After our exchange yesterday, I decided to use it today while working and I realised I should be giving it more love.
Or maybe I shouldn't, not while working. It can be really distracting with how good it sounds.

Feb 16, 2021 at 8:17 AM Post #1,857 of 18,039
I don't know... I find it hot, myself >.>
In that case you would FREAK then if you saw Carmen Miranda :D

8b235051b21b44c4646324fa03d06609.jpg

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #1,858 of 18,039
Astra Ultraque 1.048,95€
ADLC + DUAL ELECTROSTATIC DRIVERS + BONE CONDUCTION

Elysium 931,95€
ADLC + BONE CONDUCTION + PLANAR

Opus Melius 698,95€ (Opus Mia successor)

Reveal date March 1st 2021

Just told my wife. She told me I'd I want the divorce.

Feb 16, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #1,859 of 18,039
I'm iffy about the bone conduction, and it looks like so is Bob with how limited the runs of those are. And they are expensive for such experimental combinations.
Good, helps me to save money. But I will be curious about people's impressions of those.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #1,860 of 18,039
Astra ultraque is very interesting but cost a lot!!!😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back