Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Feb 26, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #17,431 of 18,496
Anyone tried listening to Waterloo sunset on Qobuz with enigma and let me know if the acoustic strumming in the background sounds a little jarring or is that the recording ?
link to this track

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #17,432 of 18,496
I agree . I have switched to grey lowers and blue uppers.
Will try that for a while.
I'm trying to get over the psychological barrier of not going full black and blue. I always feel like I'm missing out.

As for tips nothing other than azla xelastic sounds good.
Which tips are you using ?
Any idea how the spinfit cp 100/145 would sound with enigma ?

Have listened with blue/black combinations for many hours but feel they're not revealing all the iem has to offer. Ref filters are 'nice' but not very exciting and the whole point of these iems is to especially experience the low end. Grey and black sound to me more like they were intended to, controlled clear whilst retaining good unmuddied separation and thumping bass.
Can't get on with Xelastecs on anything, I find they affect the highs too much. Been using S&S, Clarions and some that are bundled with the Timeless. These three are the ones that give best unrestricted sound. I find eartips like spinfit have too narrow an opening and really don't sound very good, initially they sound ok but after a while it's obvious they're obstructing frequencies.

Feb 26, 2024 at 9:57 AM Post #17,434 of 18,496
Anyone tried listening to Waterloo sunset on Qobuz with enigma and let me know if the acoustic strumming in the background sounds a little jarring or is that the recording ?
I listened to this track. In the background, the strumming is not harsh, it sounds pleasant, but the voices sound a little dry, especially when the girl sings along at some points(probably it was an old recording that was remastered).
The Enigma+ is equipped with purple filters, black AZLA tips with a gray sleeve, EA CADMUS 8W cable, ifi NEO Stream source connected via optical, coaxial and USB TypeC with FiiO R9, listening to Qobuz on Roon

Feb 26, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #17,435 of 18,496
I listened to this track. In the background, the strumming is not harsh, it sounds pleasant, but the voices sound a little dry, especially when the girl sings along at some points(probably it was an old recording that was remastered).
The Enigma+ is equipped with purple filters, black AZLA tips with a gray sleeve, EA CADMUS 8W cable, ifi NEO Stream source connected via optical, coaxial and USB TypeC with FiiO R9, listening to Qobuz on Roon
Thanks.
There were no girl voices , maybe the chorus.
What do you mean by dry ?

I found the strumming sounds poor.
Will listen again.

Maybe your sound chain is better .
I'm only using a dap + eros s + velvet tips. Grey + blue.

Maybe sound better with azla. I will switch back

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:09 AM Post #17,436 of 18,496
https://open.qobuz.com/track/242430765
sounds great on ENIGMA
Thanks.
There were no girl voices , maybe the chorus.
What do you mean by dry ?

I found the strumming sounds poor.
Will listen again.

Maybe your sound chain is better .
I'm only using a dap + eros s + velvet tips. Grey + blue.

Maybe sound better with azla. I will switch back

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #17,437 of 18,496
Have listened with blue/black combinations for many hours but feel they're not revealing all the iem has to offer. Ref filters are 'nice' but not very exciting and the whole point of these iems is to especially experience the low end. Grey and black sound to me more like they were intended to, controlled clear whilst retaining good unmuddied separation and thumping bass.
Can't get on with Xelastecs on anything, I find they affect the highs too much. Been using S&S, Clarions and some that are bundled with the Timeless. These three are the ones that give best unrestricted sound. I find eartips like spinfit have too narrow an opening and really don't sound very good, initially they sound ok but after a while it's obvious they're obstructing frequencies.
I also felt ref settings were slightly boring and lacking bass.
So I switched to high clarity as per the booklet. Grey + blue
I am yet to conclude if there is better separation.but the sound seems to be clearer. Slightly low on bass though.
I will skip spinfits then.
Looking for the clarion but they seem to be out of stock.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #17,438 of 18,496
I also felt ref settings were slightly boring and lacking bass.
So I switched to high clarity as per the booklet. Grey + blue
I am yet to conclude if there is better separation.but the sound seems to be clearer. Slightly low on bass though.
I will skip spinfits then.
Looking for the clarion but they seem to be out of stock.
I never liked spinfits with any of my IMR. I experienced that IMR iems most benfited with wide bore tips. The only exception I found is EDP which didn't sound ok to me with wide bore. I found azlasedna short more suitable with EDP.
Tri-clarion is available with linsoul and hifigo. not cheap but with shipping it should cost you anywhere around $12 for three pairs. you can also give a try to Nostalgia audio extra wide bore tips. It is costly with shipping though and is available only through mtmtaudio or direclty from the nostalgia audio. heard many good things about this eartip.

Feb 26, 2024 at 11:30 AM Post #17,439 of 18,496
I agree. In my experience, Avalon on 4,4 balanced out of OG M11 (AK chips) is perfection with electronica. The closest to being in real club.
Titan tries to extent that auditory phenomenology but while it is more detailed, I will dare say that, it loses some of that smooth analogical feeling of Avalon (the Magnificent)...
The avalon and m15 again old school ak chips is perfect combo

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #17,440 of 18,496
I never liked spinfits with any of my IMR. I experienced that IMR iems most benfited with wide bore tips. The only exception I found is EDP which didn't sound ok to me with wide bore. I found azlasedna short more suitable with EDP.
Tri-clarion is available with linsoul and hifigo. not cheap but with shipping it should cost you anywhere around $12 for three pairs. you can also give a try to Nostalgia audio extra wide bore tips. It is costly with shipping though and is available only through mtmtaudio or direclty from the nostalgia audio. heard many good things about this eartip.
Tri clarion maybe I can get sometime in my country.
Nostalgia looks nice but impossible to get in my country.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #17,441 of 18,496
Any other easily available wide bore tips you like ?

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #17,443 of 18,496
Any other easily available wide bore tips you like ?
My go to wide bore tips is Spiraldot orginial. Tenmark whirlwind is good but it reduce the bass. I found Elecom EHP-cap10 surprisingly good. It is available only through Amazon Japan. I sourced mine using one of the cheapest Elecom wired earphone. BVGP w01 also sound ok with IMR.

Feb 26, 2024 at 12:47 PM Post #17,444 of 18,496
I just got some Spinfit Omni XL... They provide a rather large bore, 14mm width, 8.4mm tall.. they fit perfectly the Enigma+ with a rather interesting sound quality with a very good insertion in my ears...
Till now the Azla Max ASMR were what I preferred, maybe the larger bores of the Omni can be helpful for sound-stage width, with detailed lows..
I will wait another 250 hours burning period before real tips and filters rolling..

Feb 26, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #17,445 of 18,496

Users who are viewing this thread

Back