Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 31, 2024 at 9:59 AM Post #16,966 of 18,249
AMT drivers in IEM size are very expensive, and up until recently only oBravo offered them in their megabuck EAMT and Ra ranges (£4k and up).

Obravo are supposed to be the global patent holder for IEM sized AMTs, but as they are based in Taiwan I guess someone has reverse engineered a cheaper solution., as another brand (Goldplanar) are offering AMT now as well.
There is GoldPlanar GL-AMT16 that costs $1,5k
However, it's a single amt driver iem, even if it's 15,5mm

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #16,970 of 18,249
You should also know that Bob runs the MEMS driver without an energiser due to the size, so it isn't properly fully range. He has stated to me before about the driver in the Seraph that running without the booster rolls off the bass and low mids, but the highs output is still OK, so he's basically using a manual crossover to just use his MEMS as a tweeter, if I understand correctly (and he is right about the ability to use them without the energiser). The Seraph definitely has impressive treble, so got no reason to doubt hi that MEMs is doing something in the sound.

And this is precisely what I don't understand neither in the Seraph+ nor in the enigma AMT+. What sense does it make to place an electret (wrongly called electrostatic) like the sonion (a tweeter) together with two other tweeters of excellent quality, like an xmems (with a better treble quality than a sonion, in my opinion) and an AMT (on paper it is also more refined than an electret)?

The plus models in my opinion make no sense to me. The Seraph is fantastic in treble without the need for electrets. The enigma, I'll be able to tell you soon. Moreover, the absence of crossovers only increases the uselessness of an electret.

Jan 31, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #16,972 of 18,249
And this is precisely what I don't understand neither in the Seraph+ nor in the enigma AMT+. What sense does it make to place an electret (wrongly called electrostatic) like the sonion (a tweeter) together with two other tweeters of excellent quality, like an xmems (with a better treble quality than a sonion, in my opinion) and an AMT (on paper it is also more refined than an electret)?

The plus models in my opinion make no sense to me. The Seraph is fantastic in treble without the need for electrets. The enigma, I'll be able to tell you soon. Moreover, the absence of crossovers only increases the uselessness of an electret.
As Bob hates crossovers, it actually does make a little sense, in that he has mentioned before when I was discussing a review with him that the EST drivers are labelled tweeters, but do also output in the mids, so that's where he was using them to add some smoothness and body.

Again, not an audio engineer, but in scenarios where you aren't band-limiting the drivers into specific frequency ranges, some odd combos might actually still add something.

How he handles phase alignment and all that other stuff between overlapping drivers I have no idea (if he does).

He did freely admit that the BC driver on the IMR Elysium was near useless compared to Avalon and OG Elan, though - something to do with the way the planar had to be mounted in the shell and the sonic output limiting the impact of the BC driver significantly, which I can attest to having owned all of them.

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #16,973 of 18,249
As Bob hates crossovers, it actually does make a little sense, in that he has mentioned before when I was discussing a review with him that the EST drivers are labelled tweeters, but do also output in the mids, so that's where he was using them to add some smoothness and body.
As also happens with the xmems and AMTs (The AMT implemented in Enigma can't be full range due to size, so will meke preferently highs and some mids, whereas xmems are restricted also to highs and mids due to the lack of an energiser). I can see a combo of xmems (extraordinary highs) with AMT (very good highs, but also ortodynamic-like mids), but I don't see what positive contribution makes an electret in this equation. Indeed, i see only negative effects

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #16,975 of 18,249
  • 11.5mm bespoke CNT A.D.L.C dynamic driver with neodymium motors + bespoke 8mm A.M.T driver + monolithic piezo mems driver (Or add optional dual electrostatic with amplifier in addition to the above)

Clearly states dual est
If bob has put in quad ests then what a win

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #16,976 of 18,249
As also happens with the xmems and AMTs (The AMT implemented in Enigma can't be full range due to size, so will meke preferently highs and some mids, whereas xmems are restricted also to highs and mids due to the lack of an energiser). I can see a combo of xmems (extraordinary highs) with AMT (very good highs, but also ortodynamic-like mids), but I don't see what positive contribution makes an electret in this equation. Indeed, i see only negative effects
It does sound weird to me also

Jan 31, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #16,977 of 18,249
Update on my enigma +

(i have new tracking and royal mail have my enigma )

Sorry it’s taken a while to get back to you as I had to find out what had happened .

Spoke to Brandon (who books things in) and there was some confusion over the tracking number.

The wrong number was entered on your account and the correct one added and now shows in RM system.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Regards
Bob
Owner
IMR Acoustics

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #16,979 of 18,249
Im 100% sure bob emailed a person here and said
Mems with out the energiser does the full range but with it , it done just the highs

AMT does good bass tho so i would have it do bass with the dd or mids only with mems covering mids and highs
Don`t think that the AMT does good bass. Not much (nothing) bass with my ESS AMT in main speaker system.

Jan 31, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #16,980 of 18,249
Im 100% sure bob emailed a person here and said
Mems with out the energiser does the full range but with it , it done just the highs

AMT does good bass tho so i would have it do bass with the dd or mids only with mems covering mids and highs
Without an energiser, MEMS drivers function as tweeters and maybe also give some mids. If you look at the xMEMs company web page, only their Montara driver needs energiser (it's full range mems). Cowell memx (only a tweeter) does not need any.

I doubt that the AMT implementation in Enigma gives any low, as it's only 8mm, and the full range AMT drivers are extremely expensive because of their processing (look at HEDDphone webpage the complex development it was to make their drivers full range). Anyway, I expect to compare the Enigma and the Heddphone soon. The AMT bass is really different from any other i have listen, including electrostatic bass

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Jcor
Back