Future of IMR threads

• Single thread for all models.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Multiple threads for each model.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #1,576 of 18,013
Sorry I know this isn't quite the right thread, but it is an IMR thread... :)

I've been trying to piece together news about the new IMR over ear headphones. It sounds like Bob is targetting two models, both hybrids.

According to Instagram last year "One is a planar and wide band dynamic. The second is a wide band dynamic, planar and AMT driver. Styled and tuned in only the way IMR can.".

Then the latest email before Christmas says... "This won't look like other headphones (apart from headband etc.) and as you will come to discover its is function over form and has been done this way to give the greatest sound possible, you will have to wait until the reveal to see what I mean.". It sounds like he is targetting a first model in Q1 so not far away.

It all sounds promising, though I am a little worried about the "function over form" comment, will these actually be comfortable to wear for extended seated sessions? My imagination isn't great for what Bob is working on :D

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,577 of 18,013
Sorry I know this isn't quite the right thread, but it is an IMR thread... :)

I've been trying to piece together news about the new IMR over ear headphones. It sounds like Bob is targetting two models, both hybrids.

According to Instagram last year "One is a planar and wide band dynamic. The second is a wide band dynamic, planar and AMT driver. Styled and tuned in only the way IMR can.".

Then the latest email before Christmas says... "This won't look like other headphones (apart from headband etc.) and as you will come to discover its is function over form and has been done this way to give the greatest sound possible, you will have to wait until the reveal to see what I mean.". It sounds like he is targetting a first model in Q1 so not far away.

It all sounds promising, though I am a little worried about the "function over form" comment, will these actually be comfortable to wear for extended seated sessions? My imagination isn't great for what Bob is working on :D

Function surely would be also mean comfort as well as sound and form to mean maybe not the most beautiful thing in the world, that is how I interpreted function over form. Expect something more akin to Verom’s rather than utopia/Stelia.

I tried to make us an IMR thread but the people did not want it lol. So I continue to use all IMR threads as anything goes for any IMR topic, my intentions are to not stay on topic.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #1,578 of 18,013
C954620A-BAC7-46B6-9BC2-0390C728EEA9.jpeg

will Bob make a campy DD competitor?

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:40 AM Post #1,579 of 18,013
New EDP is coming?!?

EE2AF804-1E8D-492B-9B7B-239C3B54C4ED.jpeg

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:14 AM Post #1,581 of 18,013
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #1,583 of 18,013
I got a Null Audio Lune MKVI cable in today to give my Opus Mias some new bling. Both my Null cables fit in the OM's without any modification.

2021-01-20.jpg
Do you hear any difference in sound reproduction?

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:29 PM Post #1,584 of 18,013
Do you hear any difference in sound reproduction?

You know, I've never been a big believer in cables drastically changing sound. I'd say the only difference I might be hearing with this cable vs the Null Arete or stock is a bit more stage.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:33 PM Post #1,585 of 18,013
You know, I've never been a big believer in cables drastically changing sound. I'd say the only difference I might be hearing with this cable vs the Null Arete or stock is a bit more stage.
That's why I ask because I've never swapped cables and I know the debates are crazy over this subject. I just want to know if the cable swap is worth the money if the reason is solely for sound improvements and not bling or fit.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #1,586 of 18,013
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,587 of 18,013
That's why I ask because I've never swapped cables and I know the debates are crazy over this subject. I just want to know if the cable swap is worth the money if the reason is solely for sound improvements and not bling or fit.

If the reason is solely for the sound improvement, my personal opinion would be no. I always buy cables purely for comfort (I hate stiff cables) and looks. But as you said the debates on this subject get crazy.

Jan 20, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #1,588 of 18,013
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #1,589 of 18,013

Can't say for sure what happens with IMR cable swap because I haven't swapped cables on any of my IMRs, but on other good headphones there are sonic differences between cables. I'm not a musician to pinpoint the exact changes, but different cables sound different. For example I bought an upgrade cable for my Audeze LCD3 from Norne Audio, paid about $400 for it. And I don't like how it sounds, it's too brittle for my taste, I prefer the stock cable although this means $400 were thrown out the window.
They do make a sonic difference, not always for the better, very apparent if the headphone is good enough to show it.

Per my observations copper makes bass more apparent & better layered, silver brings sparkle with a chance of brittle highs. I have yet to try a graphene cable but I am considering it.
For my OM & my ears, considering I'm sporting pink base / gold nozzle, I will stay away from silver because I am sure it will make the OMs brighter.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #1,590 of 18,013
Can't say for sure what happens with IMR cable swap because I haven't swapped cables on any of my IMRs, but on other good headphones there are sonic differences between cables. I'm not a musician to pinpoint the exact changes, but different cables sound different. For example I bought an upgrade cable for my Audeze LCD3 from Norne Audio, paid about $400 for it. And I don't like how it sounds, it's too brittle for my taste, I prefer the stock cable although this means $400 were thrown out the window.
They do make a sonic difference if the headphone is good enough to show it.
This is what turns me off to the whole process. I just retire myself to believe that the manufacturer did a good job of matching cables to the sound sig they designed. It seems like a fools gamble to keep spending hundreds (if not thousands) on a possible sound change that you have no idea about prior to purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back