impulsively bought the denon d2000's....should I return them?
Mar 12, 2008 at 8:57 AM Post #16 of 33
I think you should use the D2000.

If the bass is to much, loosen up the headband or open them and put in some fiberloft. If they get boring after a few months, or you need more detail, get APureSound to re-cable them and they will sound even better.

Mar 12, 2008 at 9:03 AM Post #17 of 33
Try 'em.

I don't think much of the closed vs. open debate. It depends more upon the headphones in question, rather than upon their basic architecture and design.

Try 'em try 'em try 'em.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

Mar 12, 2008 at 10:35 AM Post #18 of 33
You can always open them, and then if you don't like them reselling them! I am sure you can get most, if not all of the money you spent! I was looking to buy a pair of these phones.

Mar 13, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #20 of 33
Your return would be just as impulsive as the buy. Just break them in, listen to them, and see if you like them or not. It's rare that people find exactly what they look for from the first try.

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #22 of 33
Listening to D2000s now
biggrin.gif
. Bought them in Japan on an impulse that was felt after listening to 100 other cans in Akihabarra where they were all playing the same music. No can is perfect, they all had interesting flavors but the impulse said for the money, D2000 were a standout performer. Lots of detail, great imaging, fast, and deep tight bass that is hard to describe. Not perfectly balanced, highs and bass are emphasized, but their quality is so good it works for a lot of music. Midrange is of excellent quality but slightly recessed. I have about 100 hours on them so we'll see if things change. I have noticed little to no change with burn in so far. There is absolutely no honkiness or any kind of closed-in feeling, which to me is remarkable for a "closed" can.

I have to say they are addictive. They get a lot of head time.

BTW, the coolest thing about Akihabarra is being able to listen to the entire Stax line in one sitting. And the entire AT line. And Denon. Who knows what the source and amplification are, but they weren't horrible - differences in the systems were discernible.

How much does an apartment in Tokyo run these days?

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:59 AM Post #23 of 33
Permit me one more observation: the D2000 remarkably have the most stable and accurate imaging of any of my cans, with K701s coming in second and Senns a clear third. Stax are more holographic than all of these but also more diffuse (I only have Lambdas and Lambda Pros so heft a grain of salt and instruct the jury clearly).

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:08 AM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there such thing as an eargasm? Cause I think I just had one....

Indeed there is. Congratulations. Look at what you could have missed out on?
tongue.gif

I think the cost of having something you may love in your hands without trying them is much greater than the small loss in resale.

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:35 AM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by TomH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, the coolest thing about Akihabarra is being able to listen to the entire Stax line in one sitting. And the entire AT line. And Denon. Who knows what the source and amplification are, but they weren't horrible - differences in the systems were discernible.

How much does an apartment in Tokyo run these days?

hehe, glad you liked Tokyo so much
wink.gif
Akiba is heaven for us headphone fans. Where else in the world can one one listen to Stax SR007 next to AKG K701, all the unique Denon and Audio Technica headphones and still compare to average phones like the Koss Porta Pro? I know it might be a little crazy, but I do recommend that us headphone fans consider taking a vacation to Tokyo for 10days. You get to experience Japan, Akhiba, AND get a chance to be in headphone heaven for a few days.

Tokyo is actually a lot more reasonable than it was. If one is fresh out of University it is pretty easy to come to Tokyo for a year, teach English and live in a 'gaijin' house for something like 50,000 yen a month. Nice apartments runs 120,000 - 180,000 with really nice places in choice location being a little over 200,000 yen. Cheaper than London or New York right now , but it is still big-city prices. I think Tokyo is the best place in the world to be right now!!

Actually I was thinking about a new "high end" set of headphones and was thinking of the K701s but maybe I should listen to the D2000 again. Where in Akiba did you go?

Mar 13, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #28 of 33
Giving my 780s a break, and listening to the new Pugwash (Irish band with an XTC/Beach Boy/Beatle/ELO influence) cd for the fourth time in a row, with the D2000s. They really are a beautiful pair of 'phones. Absolutely no fatigue, so smooth, yet really engaging.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by blackburn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there such thing as an eargasm? Cause I think I just had one....

I had the same feeling when I first listened to them.
biggrin.gif

They may not be the best in the world, but they are still very enjoyable.

Mar 13, 2008 at 9:55 PM Post #30 of 33
Lotsa love for Denon D2000 in this thread.
biggrin.gif

Good to see it, enjoyable reading for any D2000 owner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back