improving strain relief
Dec 29, 2010 at 6:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

wordfool

100+ Head-Fier
anyone got any techniques on improving strain reliefs on IEMs with poor build quality? My initial thought was heatshrink tubing, but the small diameter stuff would be impossible to get over the IEM itself. Tape is only ever gonna be temporary at best. Any other suggestions?

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #3 of 13
putting superglue around the strain relief worked well for me.

Dec 29, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, most shrink tubing has some flex to it. They are usually able to expand twice their diameter. Using a pair of screw drivers (usually one smaller and another larger) you can get it around the 3.5mm plug (if it is a straight connector). Sometimes you can get it past detachable cables but then you have the Y connector to get past. That's usually an issue. Here is what I did for my Monster Turbines.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/525230/reinforcing-monster-turbine-cables-especially-the-3-5mm-plug/15#post_7096495

To expand you usually use the screw drivers and slowly rotate the small one around the big screw driver to slowly expand it. Don't strain it too much because you will tear it.

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 13
I just got some Turbines, too, and their strain relief is non-existent, hence this thread! My biggest concern is the other end of the cable... pulling the 'phones themselves in and out of my ears it's sometimes tricky to grab something more solid than pure cable so I'd like to engineer something to offer some strain relief up there. 

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:24 PM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I just got some Turbines, too, and their strain relief is non-existent, hence this thread! My biggest concern is the other end of the cable... pulling the 'phones themselves in and out of my ears it's sometimes tricky to grab something more solid than pure cable so I'd like to engineer something to offer some strain relief up there. 

did anyone actually call monster complaining about the lack of strain relief when it was depicted on the box? had to wait 40 minutes today until a live operator picked up...

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

did anyone actually call monster complaining about the lack of strain relief when it was depicted on the box? had to wait 40 minutes today until a live operator picked up...

What did the operator say? I just figured it was Monster overstock stuffed into current boxes and since I paid so little via Amazon I'm not in a position to complain! 

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

What did the operator say? I just figured it was Monster overstock stuffed into current boxes and since I paid so little via Amazon I'm not in a position to complain! 

well, the call was for multiple things, I bought a pair of MD's a few days ago and the surrounding black paint was already chipping on the sides (he agreed to send me a RMA for a exchange) anywho, my turbines were from the second batch of the amazon $59.99 deal and they had proper strain reliefs but the clip broke off the second I tried to attach them to the cable, also, for some reason, my turbines didn't come with the triple flanges...oddly enough, he told me the warranty covered defective and broken stuff, not missing stuff so I would have to deal with amazon...

Dec 29, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #10 of 13

Quote:
well, the call was for multiple things, I bought a pair of MD's a few days ago and the surrounding black paint was already chipping on the sides (he agreed to send me a RMA for a exchange) anywho, my turbines were from the second batch of the amazon $59.99 deal and they had proper strain reliefs but the clip broke off the second I tried to attach them to the cable, also, for some reason, my turbines didn't come with the triple flanges...oddly enough, he told me the warranty covered defective and broken stuff, not missing stuff so I would have to deal with amazon...

Interesting... my Turbines came from the second Amazon deal the other week, too, but did NOT have the proper strain reliefs as shown on the box they came in. Bummer! They did, however come with the triple flanges (not sure if I'll ever use them, however). Now I wonder if it's worth bitching to Monster or Amazon about the lack of strain relief. Hmmm...

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:12 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

Interesting... my Turbines came from the second Amazon deal the other week, too, but did NOT have the proper strain reliefs as shown on the box they came in. Bummer! They did, however come with the triple flanges (not sure if I'll ever use them, however). Now I wonder if it's worth bitching to Monster or Amazon about the lack of strain relief. Hmmm...

I would say it is....maybe not amazon since all the boxes list the strain relief as a feature so they couldn't tell either way, try and give monster a call tomorrow

Dec 30, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I would say it is....maybe not amazon since all the boxes list the strain relief as a feature so they couldn't tell either way, try and give monster a call tomorrow

Right... will do. Where did you find the CS number?

Dec 30, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #13 of 13
30 minutes on hold and Monster had nothing to say other than I got the older model in the new box... no opportunity to switch them or anything. So I guess I'll just wait for their crappy wires to break at the plug or the other end and get a replacement. Can't really complain too much about the lack of strain relief, right angle plug or cable slider since they were only $58 shipped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back