Improving Soundstage?
Dec 13, 2012 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Joshii

Head-Fier
Hey guys, this year, i went all in and bought the Audio Technica PRO700mk2 Anniversary editions with a zo 2 and a fiio l2. I am playing out of a samsung galaxy s3 and am wearing m50 pads. I was wondering if there is any quick fix to drastically improve soundstage?
I listened to a friends m50's and whilst the trebles were piercing and didn't have enough bass, the soundstage was like 100 times better and by that i mean like 100 ms further away from me in some songs.
Any thought or ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Dec 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM Post #2 of 7
Quote:
Hey guys, this year, i went all in and bought the Audio Technica PRO700mk2 Anniversary editions with a zo 2 and a fiio l2. I am playing out of a samsung galaxy s3 and am wearing m50 pads. I was wondering if there is any quick fix to drastically improve soundstage?
I listened to a friends m50's and whilst the trebles were piercing and didn't have enough bass, the soundstage was like 100 times better and by that i mean like 100 ms further away from me in some songs.
Any thought or ideas?

Thanks,

Josh

Heya,

You can play with pads and amplifiers to improve the sound stage or at least alter it. Don't expect much from this headphone though. Also, the M50 has one of the worst sound stages out there for all the hype it receives, cramped little stereo image. There's no way it's that much better or different from the PRO 700MK2 frankly. Start tinkering around with using the Zo and not using the Zo and probably get off using your S3 and instead get something like a Sansa Fuze or Clip or something. You might see some changes there (the DAC of the phone might be a big limitation here; I have one too, but I don't use it for audio at all).

Very best,

Dec 13, 2012 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 7
This might be harsh, but you may want to consider another pair of headphones to compliment the 700MKii.

Dec 13, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #4 of 7
Also, the fiio l2 is jack to jack, right? Then you are not getting line-out of your S3, I guess?

Dec 13, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

You have a PRO700MKII and a ZO and you're complaining about too much warmth?

Very best,

Not only did I find this hilarious, I am wondering what in the S3 could be altering the sound in such a way that the iPhone with lod would be warmer...  I would wonder if the S3 has an eq set or something.  
This is coming from someone who owns/uses a Pro700MK2 as my primary closed headphone, but if you are looking for a bigger soundstage from a closed headphone then that is going to be a losing battle.  There are very few truly closed headphones that can deliver a decent soundstage.  That being said, I have the m50 as well at the Pro700MK2 and I find it hard to believe that you can hear a difference in the soundstage unless they are being played from a different source.  I find that using my e17's dac vs a cheapo laptop one helps a little, but the only added soundstage I have noticed that can be quantified comes from larger pads that add distance and angle from the drivers to my ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back