Improving Sound Quality from a PC
Sep 1, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Zertman

New Head-Fier
I am looking to improve the sound quality coming from my computer to my headphones (Sennheiser HD265 100 ohms).

Two options I am looking into:

1. Bithead from headphone.com. Has USB connection and is powered by batteries.

2. JVC RXD301S AV Receiver. Also has USB connection. Is the USB connection any better than just using the Digital Coax or Optical output of the computer? I noticed that the THD is .8%, is that only for the speakers output, not headphone output?

Which option would have more powerful and/or cleaner output? Is there any other option I could look into that isn't more than 200 bucks?

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 18
You would certainly benefit from a DAC. It would be even better of you had a dedicated DAC coupled with a dedicated amp, but at that price point, you have to make a sacrifice somewhere.

Looking in the Computer Audio sub-forum should help you out a bit more.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by RedBull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Cambridge Audio DAC Magic? This is not overly expensive (but maybe slightly out of your budget) and highly regarded both in Head-fi and in Stereophile magazine.

The DacMagic is more than double the OP's budget
rolleyes.gif

The Total Bithead or an EMU 0404 USB would be the way to go, within your pricerange. The problem with AV recievers and the like is that rarely has much thought been given to their USB input, so the implementation is often sub-par. Ditto with their headphone output.

Welcome to Head-Fi, sorry about your wallet
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:04 AM Post #6 of 18
i use the xonar pci-e sound card. quite good for a starter. but if you want to go full pro equiptment probably the USB DAC are the better choice

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #7 of 18
Thanks everyone. It's not that i have a small wallet, it just I need to pay back student loans (eventually
wink.gif
).

Covenant, I didn't realize that about AV receivers with USB inputs. Glad I didn't waste money on one.

Which has a stronger headphone output, the Total Bithead or Emu 0404?

Sep 2, 2009 at 3:20 AM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zertman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am looking to improve the sound quality coming from my computer to my headphones (Sennheiser HD265 100 ohms).

2. JVC RXD301S AV Receiver. Also has USB connection. Is the USB connection any better than just using the Digital Coax or Optical output of the computer? I noticed that the THD is .8%, is that only for the speakers output, not headphone output?

Which option would have more powerful and/or cleaner output? Is there any other option I could look into that isn't more than 200 bucks?

Thanks.

Decent affordable desktop USB Dac/amps for headphones:
------------------------------------------------------------------
Head-direct.com HiFiMan EF2
Travagans Green (or White)

Sep 2, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zertman /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

the bit head hands down, its dac is great, and the amp section is really good for the small size, as far as the jvc, onlt get it if you can afford nothing else, jvc sucks when compared to most anything else, even low end sony knocks its socks off, sometimes i wonder how jvc, bose.. stay in business

Sep 2, 2009 at 2:22 PM Post #12 of 18
the hd265 is 150 ohms and benefits from an amp. a small portable amp would do you well. i had an m-audio audiophile usb that powered them well.

p.s. the hd265 is one of the best closed headphones ever made.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #13 of 18
Thanks again everyone.

Wow! I guess there are a lot of options out there. I'm a little overwhelmed.

Those Hotaudios look good, though the amp seems a little weak. They probably would be strong enough for my 265HDs but I would like someday to upgrade my cans and they probably would have much higher impedance.

Levin, The PC I using in with my cans is a laptop so I need something external. Plus, I want something with a headphone amp built-in.

The Hifiman EF2 look good and very powerful output. I read your review of this, HeadphoneAddict and I am little worried about how the DAC sounds. You said that it lacked soundstage which is a quality I value very high in my cans. How does the DAC's of the EF2 sound compare to the Total Bitheads, emu 0404, or Travagans Green (or White).

Sep 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by levin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i use the xonar pci-e sound card. quite good for a starter. but if you want to go full pro equiptment probably the USB DAC are the better choice

Definitely make sure the computer has a good sound card as it will be the processing power behind the music, and makes a HUGE difference over any on-board solution. Also look at the creative x-fi range of cards (although not the lowest model as it isn't a true x-fi, i think its the xtreme music variant). Other companies sell cards based on this chipset as well and they can be had for dirt cheap these days.

EDIT: just seen that your using a laptop, try this. There is also a USB solution but i don't know much about that particular product.

Newegg.com - Creative 70SB095000004 24-bit 48KHz ExpressCard Sound Blaster X-Fi Notebook - Sound Cards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back