Improved RE0 cable, plug and packing box
Oct 16, 2009 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Nankai

Sponsor: HiFiMAN
We are using PPE cable for RE0 right now, which is the best material we can find. It is much better than regular PVC cable, and do not have much wind noise as fabric cable.

We upgrade plug. Now we are using L shape plug which will last much longer than the old plug on previous RE0.

We will not provide extension cord because people do not use it very often.

We will upload some pictures soon.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 16, 2009 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 14
Here are a few pictures (thanks to dwoo12):

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwoo12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some pictures of the revision as well...
P1000240small.jpg

P1000241small.jpg

P1000237small.jpg

Oct 17, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nankai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We are using PPE cable for RE0 right now, which is the best material we can find. It is much better than regular PVC cable, and do not have much wind noise as fabric cable.

I did some quick research and it seems that PPE is noted for its chemical resistance. Can you comment on whether this cable material will be more resistant to stiffening over time as a result of skin contact? I've had problems with that in the past and avoiding it is now a big factor in my purchasing decisions.

Oct 17, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trippytiger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I did some quick research and it seems that PPE is noted for its chemical resistance. Can you comment on whether this cable material will be more resistant to stiffening over time as a result of skin contact? I've had problems with that in the past and avoiding it is now a big factor in my purchasing decisions.

PPE is difficult to become hard comparing to PVC cable (previous cable on RE serious earphones)

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Oct 19, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #6 of 14
So if I ordered the RE0 on the 15th, would that be the new cable or the old one?

Also, how long is shipping usually to the US? I haven't heard anything since the 15th, was just a bit curious, I know you must be busy...

Oct 19, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 14
Nice to see you're still working to improve RE0.
If i can suggest something, you can improve the headphone sound signature.
I think a lot of RE0 users regularly add some more bass impact via equalization; if RE0 bass had a little bit more impact, it would be really perfect.

Oct 20, 2009 at 5:46 AM Post #10 of 14
Well. I was among the first people to get the original re0. I think it really sucks that improvements are still being made. I paid a lot more for mine then people are now. I love head-direct/hifiman but this really makes me feel slighted. Guess I'll wait a lot longer for companies to work out their bugs next time.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #11 of 14
Is it wrong for them to improve their product over time? How is that in any way improper? I definitely understand the problem with being an early adopter, but subsequent generations of a product doesn't make the original any lower quality.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:58 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it wrong for them to improve their product over time? How is that in any way improper? I definitely understand the problem with being an early adopter, but subsequent generations of a product doesn't make the original any lower quality.

I agree that the sound of the cans is good. But the quality of my cable and plug is what I am more worried about. I just wish hey would have thought that out before the initial release. They have enough experience with cable that it should have been improved. I'll be satisfied with them, until the cable malfunctions.

I agree with constant improvement. But this seems different to me. No biggie. I'm just wiser now.

Oct 22, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #14 of 14
I just recieved the new RE0 / new cable today. It's the first time I've heard the RE0 so I can't compare to the old cable, but if it helps, it is definitely worse then the Etymotic ER6's. If you use the included shirt clip though it's not too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back