Improve iPod sound quality - EQu
Feb 18, 2011 at 3:21 PM Post #76 of 128
no, its clearly "skipping" for lack of better words.  I use the function that allows you to pull the entire field down to zero so that none of the peaks reach above 0db.

Feb 18, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #78 of 128

Quote:
no, its clearly "skipping" for lack of better words.  I use the function that allows you to pull the entire field down to zero so that none of the peaks reach above 0db.

Quote:
yup it definitely skips when i put my phone in standby. think it definitely needs to be looked at. 

I'll have to listen for this the next time I use EQu...I use Equalizer more because Equalizer doesn't interfere with Sound Check, and I shuffle a lot. Next time I listen to an album straight through, I'll check this out with EQu. Does it happen to you guys even when not multitasking?

Feb 18, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #79 of 128
I would like to give Equalizer a try but I can't get the demo version (EQ Free) to run on my iPhone 4. I either get very fast (4-8x) playback or the app crashes, have never gotten it to work once. Rebooting, reinstalling, clearing memory, etc., makes no difference. Judging from the comments here it clearly it does work for many (but then again judging from the two-star score and comments in the App Store it also doesn't work for many.)

Am I the only one in this thread with this problem? Not sure how to go about getting it to work...

Feb 18, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #81 of 128

Quote:
^ EQ Free sucks. It's a limited app and is old as hell, it doesn't have any of the newer updates.

Uh, well, I downloaded it because the description for Equalizer recommends it to test operability. Maybe instead they should say that it sucks and is old as hell...  
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:01 AM Post #83 of 128
EQ free is quite dated. It is a correct representation of the audio quality of the equalizer but it has problems with certain (even lossless) codecs. So to evaluate it, use a common mp3 128 bit or AAC without optimization.

Equalizer has been updated several times and is constantly improved.
The update today is just a step in my update regime. I prefer to add features in small bites so as to see better what makes sense and what breaks things too much. My beta testers can only do so much to ensure that it all works as expected.
If you are interested in helping beta testing, I still have a few slots open. Contact me and I'll hook you up.
Also talking about problems here helps a lot as typically I have encountered them already and have a fix for it. If I don't hear much about a problem or weird behavior, the fix is usually clunky. If I get bugged about a certain thing more I tend to find a more elegant solution.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM Post #84 of 128
ok then.. FLAC support FLAC support FLAC support!!!!!!!!!!!!!   ..just kidding.. but not really :wink:  how cool would that be.  

also could you add an option that turns my lod into a Digital out
very_evil_smiley.gif
  ( i know thats not possible, but i can dream)

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #85 of 128

I think there are apps for FLAC support, but as I remember they are quite pricey, i wouldn`t know whether they would work
in tandem with the EQu or Equalizer apps either.

Feb 19, 2011 at 2:16 AM Post #86 of 128

Quote:

I think there are apps for FLAC support, but as I remember they are quite pricey, i wouldn`t know whether they would work
in tandem with the EQu or Equalizer apps either.

no i dont think tandem apps would be possible.. especially not in this context... Though it does seem feasable in theory to make the EQu or Equalizer app support flac, as long as its not an issue of running the CPU into the ground. 

Feb 19, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #87 of 128
I've been trying to use EQu for a few weeks now, it's buggy to say the least. It reduces my iPhone 4 to a crawl when in use, I like to fire up an album and check Facebook, browse some sites, maybe play a game. I can't do that with EQu. I don't like how when you launch the app it just starts playing some random track, I get weird volume fluctuations, and I've had to reboot the phone occasionally when the volume control stops working. Hopefully they update this soon or it's getting deleted, good thing it was only $3.

Feb 19, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #88 of 128
You know, I never even tried to play a game whilst listening to EQu ot Equalizer, knowing full well that both use CPU like mad. But even browsing internet or reading books, I've not had trouble at all with either app. Only when playing lossless files has there been trouble with EQu, but only the first few seconds. Apple really should include EQ chips in their machines.

Feb 20, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #90 of 128

Quote:
Your info on EQu is way out of date.  You can access your library through EQu just like the regular ipod app: playlist, artist, album, etc. 

I also haven't experienced any crashing, but I have an iphone 4.

No, I am referring to the latest version of equ (1.1.3), whenever I go to the album or artist menus and try to select something the app will crash every time without fail. It is also slow, at least with my large music library, and will crash all the time through normal use (even without multitasking).

Quote:
My guess is you have a jailbroken phone and can`t get into any of the updates??

Well I pretty much stated I had a jailbroken phone already - but that doesn't affect updates or anything on the app store. Nor does it affect any other app I have ever used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back