Improve iPod sound quality - EQu
Feb 15, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #46 of 128

Quote:
Quote:
One question for the developer. Is what Apple makes available to developers enough to overhaul the playlist handling on iPod?
I still long for the way Rio Karma and RockBox handle playlists.
That is:

I start listening to a song/album
I can in real time add another song/album/artist whatever, with the option to do it at the end of the current playlist or immediately after the song I am listening to in that very moment.
With iPod you can do something similar only by using the On the Go functionality but you have to remember to use it and it's counterintuitive. It also doesn't allow the "add after the song I'm listening to".

Is this something doable with the iOS SDK or you are limited to the iPod functionality for music database interactions?

Bump. For me this is crucial. I'd buy the app straight away if it could be implemented.

Meh, why people just can`t make their own playlists themselves already is beyond me.

I have about 15 playlists on my ipod touch.
and of course I have Albums.

I know what I am in the mood for and cue up my playlist, If a song comes up I am not in the mood for, I skip it.

For this to be a `crucial` thing at the price of only $3 is really quite ridiculous sir.

Feb 15, 2011 at 11:02 PM Post #47 of 128
Wow.  I cannot believe how much of a difference these make on my Yuins.  I pretty much hated them before today.  With EQu I was able to turn down that 9dB spike at 5200 Hz and bump the bass below 80 Hz up about 2-3 dB and these are freaking new phones.  They sound great.  Actually usuable now.  EQu has totally replaced my ipod application.  I can't wait to see how they do on the IE8s.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #48 of 128

Quote:
Yes. The many sound enhancers on the Cowon players are cool to tinker with....some work well,  but some of them can give a very artificial-type sound. You can get great results with the EQ and careful use of the other features, but it takes some experimentation to find what works for you(some people might like some of the settings I thought sounded artificial).

With EQu/Equalizer on the Touch and iPhone, you're not adding in other effects, just dealing with EQ. That said, they reportedly work best on the newest hardware....for example, you don't get to control all 7 bands on the 2G Touch with Equalizer, it's only 3 or 4, I believe.

But the Cowon also have a EQ and a better DAC.

A few weeks ago, i tested a EQapp ( i don't remember whether it was EQu or not) and it still sounded under my expectation.

Feb 16, 2011 at 8:50 AM Post #49 of 128

Quote:
But the Cowon also have a EQ and a better DAC.

A few weeks ago, i tested a EQapp ( i don't remember whether it was EQu or not) and it still sounded under my expectation.

Better DAC according to who? I just compared a track on the Touch and the i9, equivalent volume level, no EQ or effects engaged, with my SR60i's,   and the Touch sounded better.....the i9 sounded thinner and weaker compared to it. When you factor in effects and EQ, the playing field is leveled, and both players sound great.

I wouldn't buy an iPod other than the Touch, because of the lack of real EQ on the other models, but EQu and Equalizer are game-changers.....just like my Cowon, and my rockboxed Sansas, I can get the proper sound with any headphone I own with it.
L3000.gif

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #50 of 128
Quote:
I see you have an imod in your signature, how does it compare?  iphone4/w/EQu and imod?

Good question, although difficult to answer as I never listen to the iMod without the piggybacked amp.  I most definitely prefer the iMod/Amp combo because it sounds "warmer" to me, the manual toggles on the Arrow 12HE are also amazing. Straight out of the headphone jack, I'd definitely chose iPhone4/EQu. (no rockbox on my imod)  It's nice having a decent DAP that I take everywhere with me - I don't usually take my iMod to the gym, etc. 

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:24 AM Post #51 of 128

can you try the iphone/EQu with the arrow at all? - I am curious.

yeah even the headphone out is good with EQu on the touch 4G (as i forgot to take my ibasso with me today).

Feb 16, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #52 of 128

Quote:

Better DAC according to who? I just compared a track on the Touch and the i9, equivalent volume level, no EQ or effects engaged, with my SR60i's,   and the Touch sounded better.....the i9 sounded thinner and weaker compared to it. When you factor in effects and EQ, the playing field is leveled, and both players sound great.

I wouldn't buy an iPod other than the Touch, because of the lack of real EQ on the other models, but EQu and Equalizer are game-changers.....just like my Cowon, and my rockboxed Sansas, I can get the proper sound with any headphone I own with it.
L3000.gif

I read that the touch has a Cirrus Logic chip
while (although i only found the s9's dac) uses a Wolfson WM8750S

i suppose it makes an audible difference

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #53 of 128

Quote:
I read that the touch has a Cirrus Logic chip
while (although i only found the s9's dac) uses a Wolfson WM8750S

i suppose it makes an audible difference

Well, for all the Wolfson love I see here at Head-Fi, assuming that the i9 has one too,  I would have expected it to sound better than the Cirrus Logic chip that the Wolfson lovers like to bash. But my findings are exactly the opposite, at least with the Grados......it's not a huge difference between them, but noticeable. With Portapros, on the other hand, the difference is much less pronounced, indeed, barely noticeable, but that didn't surprise me.....they don't have the clarity of the Grados.

All that said, I do wish that Apple had given us a proper EQ built-in, but the six dollars I spent on the two EQ apps was worth every cent.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:37 AM Post #55 of 128
Am using both cowon S9 and iphone 3gs Equ'd and to my ears, I get more bass and treble extension with the EQu'd Iphone. The Big difference is in the sub-bass reproduction. I listened to some tracks with deep sub-bass extension and Equ simply just belts them out without any distortion

Quote:
I have a Cowon i9, and a Touch 4G with the EQu and Equalizer apps.....I can get excellent sound out of either one. In fact, I don't think I could clearly rate one better than the other.

Feb 16, 2011 at 10:46 AM Post #57 of 128

Quote:
but ipods are nowadays a show-of-object and a multitasking device AND NOT an Audiophile grade PMP anymore.

I would disagree with that.
smile_phones.gif

Multitasking device, sure.....and do many people carry them around showing them off because they think it makes them look cool? Absolutely....but the newest Touch, at least, is also capable of great sound as well. My comparison with no EQ effects notwithstanding, I can still get most excellent sound out of either my Cowon or my Touch if I do use the tweaks available.

Feb 16, 2011 at 11:40 AM Post #59 of 128

Gorman: I am the developer of Equalizer and when I designed it I was inspired by the RockBox playlist handling.
In Equalizer, you build the playlist the way you want, on the fly.
Add as many albums or single songs to the list.
Start playing (EQed) and change the order of the songs while you play. or delete songs while you play. or even add new songs or albums while you listen to the music.
So yes, this is very much doable and one of the features I use daily myself.
(Sorry, I didn't see this thread until today)

Quote:
One question for the developer. Is what Apple makes available to developers enough to overhaul the playlist handling on iPod?

I still long for the way Rio Karma and RockBox handle playlists.

That is:

I start listening to a song/album
I can in real time add another song/album/artist whatever, with the option to do it at the end of the current playlist or immediately after the song I am listening to in that very moment.
With iPod you can do something similar only by using the On the Go functionality but you have to remember to use it and it's counterintuitive. It also doesn't allow the "add after the song I'm listening to".

Is this something doable with the iOS SDK or you are limited to the iPod functionality for music database interactions?

Feb 16, 2011 at 2:48 PM Post #60 of 128
I bought EQu and found it unusable, it's slow and frequently crashes on my 3gs, and the only way to select songs (that doesn't crash), other than from a pre-created playlist, is by individually scrolling through every song on my phone, which with several thousand songs is just ridiculous - then the app will probably have crashed again within ~3 songs. Really the product shouldn't be released yet until it works, it feels like an alpha build atm and annoyed me that I gave money to the developer. When (if) finished it looks promising though.

After this I bought Equalizer... works great. Not as smooth as the ipod app on my 3gs, and not 100% integrate (for obvious reasons - this app really needs to be on cydia), but still very efficient at choosing songs, only crashes rarely, and the equaliser in it is more customizable and exact than equ's anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back