Improve iPod sound quality - EQu
Jan 10, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 128

Quote:
Hi Randius,

We found out that on the 3GS this problem occurs sometimes. If you reboot your device it works fine again. Probably there is not enough memory available......

let me know if this does the trick,

Victor

Rebooting the device does help to reduce the number of occurrence but the problem still exists. I ran Equ right after rebooting and it is the only app running.

Jan 12, 2011 at 3:32 AM Post #18 of 128
Hi,

Well, on the G4 EQu runs smoothly. We test on the 3GS here in house and we find the amount of "gaps" acceptable..... once every ten songs. But it is not 100% perfect that I have to admit.
Please keep in mind that what we do in this app is heavy duty CPU calculations .....

Jan 12, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #21 of 128

Quote:
So whats the battery life with the app running then?

Great question! I just bought a 4G, and I would like to know this too.

Jan 21, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #22 of 128
To Victor/Elephantcandy:

Have you bench-tested your devices to see if the levels indicated in EQu match what's being output? Maybe the other devices are fine, but for an iPad running EQu 1.1.2, I've found a discrepancy. Perhaps others here can reproduce my findings.

If I cut or boost by 3 dB when dragging a dot, I get more than a 6-dB swing when I measure the frequency response using RMAA. The shape of the curve is almost correct everywhere, but the actual amount of boost or cut is around twice what's being indicated by EQu. The other presets have similar behavior, and I can verify the numbers with a meter or a scope.

This is a minor problem because most people (including me) tune by ear. But sometimes we want to be objective and it would be nice if EQu can give us accurate numbers. If it's easy to fix, please include it in the next update. I hope it's as simple as displaying 20log(voltage gain) instead of 10log when dragging the dots. BTW, great app!

Some pictures:

Here's one custom preset, down -2.6 dB at ~120 Hz:

Here's another custom preset, down 1.3 dB at ~16 kHz:

Measured, the shape is correct, but the levels are roughly twice what's indicated by EQu when dragging the dots:

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #23 of 128
I don't have equipment to measure this, but is there a volume drop when running the EQu and the ipod music player on the ipad?  Seems like when running both on flat I have to kick the volume up on the EQu to achieve the same listening volume.

I really like the app though.  amazing how fine tuned you can get the sound!

Jan 21, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #24 of 128
If you have a computer with a sound card or on-board audio, then all you need is an extension cable from the iPad's headphone amp to your computer's mic or line input. EQu does reduce the level because it makes room for all the boosts that users can add later. The green horizontal line in EQu--the flat preset--is a little over 14 dB softer than the iPad's built-in iPod app (when set to no EQ or flat). There is a clipping indicator so you can tell if you've upped the level too much, to the point of distortion. It's a bit on the conservative side, though. I get the red light with a test tone that's only around 3 dB down from the iPod app's maximum level. According to my scope and my spectrum analyzer software, it's still undistorted at that point. Here's another weird thing: I get two side bands, about 50 dB down from the main tone. The iPod app doesn't have those artifacts. I'll have to double-check that later with another spectrum analyzer. In any case, it doesn't seem to have bothered anyone here.

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #25 of 128
I just downloaded and started using Equ v 1.1.1 on my iPhone 3GS 3 days ago and boy did it blow me away, at least in terms of sound quality. I used to be an iPhone/iPod hater when it comes to listening to music and prefered using my Rockboxed Sansa clip since I can tweak it more. But with Equ, I think things MAY change for me and my iPhone. I say "may" change since Equ appears to be in it's beta version still and still lags behind Rockbox and iPod in terms of functionality. Talking about stability, what's the most stable version for iPhone 3GS?

EDIT: SQ wise, the Equ is good but functionality-wise, still below par. It still needs a lot of improvement especially playback and song accessibility aspects

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:12 AM Post #26 of 128
Free update available! Now version 1.1.3. (haven't tried it out yet, but just downloaded it)

Jan 29, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #27 of 128
Yes now you get a headroom option which enables you to choose a softer or a more agressive form of EQing (ie gain). Personally, Equalizer's update was much more appealing. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #28 of 128

EQu is a smooth running app, I am using it with my ipod touch 4G.
I recommend it whole heartedly.

Typing with the zeal of the newly converted EQu/equalizer app fundamentalist
beyersmile.png

Feb 14, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #29 of 128
One question for the developer. Is what Apple makes available to developers enough to overhaul the playlist handling on iPod?

I still long for the way Rio Karma and RockBox handle playlists.

That is:

I start listening to a song/album
I can in real time add another song/album/artist whatever, with the option to do it at the end of the current playlist or immediately after the song I am listening to in that very moment.
With iPod you can do something similar only by using the On the Go functionality but you have to remember to use it and it's counterintuitive. It also doesn't allow the "add after the song I'm listening to".

Is this something doable with the iOS SDK or you are limited to the iPod functionality for music database interactions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back