Improve iPod sound quality - EQu
Dec 5, 2010 at 4:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 128

Biolzade

New Head-Fier
I've just found an app which, in my opinion, greatly increases the sound quality coming through my DBA-02's.

It's called EQu, and it's basicly a fully fledged EQ monitor. I can change the EQ on the fly, and after finding the right setup for me it felt like I was using completely different IEM's!

The main screen of the app

The EQ line, changeable on the fly. Or you can use one of the presets.

The (bland) music selection screen. (Don't laugh at my taste :p)

it's not without its flaws though. You can't scratch tracks and the music selection screen is very basic.
You can only pick playlists or the entire music library. No album or artist view.
Also, I've noticed that sometimes when loading text or a webpage, the music would become distorted. However only for a very short period of time. Lastly, if you do not lock the screen you could accidently change the EQ by brushing your hand against the screen, there needs to be some sort of lock for the EQ while you are playing with the options etc.

Other than those issues, this app is brilliant. I've not used a portable amp before with any player, but now I don't feel as if I need one. This app is a must-have on any ipod touch/iphone I'll have the pleasure to own, now or in the future.

Dec 5, 2010 at 8:30 PM Post #4 of 128
I downloaded it a week or so ago, and just can't support it. I don't like that you have to make playlists to listen to an album. Also, I wish you could select the eq values when setting points. It also crashed on me a few times. I don't recomend this app.

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 128

Quote:
Wow... Not compatible with iPod touch 2g. And people say there is no fragmentation with iOS.

I use "equalizer" with my 2G touch.
It has 7 band parametric EQ, but on the 2G touch it only gives you 3 bands, but you have control over: freq, Q & gain.
it allows you to choose songs, albums, artists or playlists and you can shuffle them too.

Dec 6, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #6 of 128
Hi everybody,

I am the developer of EQu. You are all right about the flaws in the app, but let's not forget that this is version 1.0. We are working on updates to fix all these matters. Of course we have tested the app before releasing it but some bugs only occur in special situations. Don't worry in time we'll fix them all.
We just submitted a new update to Apple in which:
  1. the music navigation is improved dramatically
  2. performance on 3GS is improved
  3. minor bugs fixes

We are now working on a new update in which the app will be completely native for the iPad and also in this update we will attack other flaws and bugs.
So please be a bit patient and thanks for downloading EQu!

If you encounter any problems with EQu please send me a detailed mail.

Cheers,

Victor

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #8 of 128
Elephantcandy,

Thank you for the changes in version 1.1.1. It is much, much better than 1.0.1. I'd love to see the native iPad release, although 1.1.1 looks good already. There isn't much room on the iPhone/iPod Touch displays, so I can understand not putting more elaborate transport controls. But it would be a nice addition on the iPad. For example, some recordings of the Bach Goldberg variations come in one long track. It's hard to zero in on the exact location with the 1.1.1 controls. There's no easy way to start listening to a variation that's 20 minutes into the track; you pretty much have to wait. The addition of a vertical scale in dB would be nice, as well as an indication of how much the overall level has changed when you drag the entire curve up or down. Loop controls would be nice, but that should be lower priority (although not as low as visuals or playlist editing, which can be done in the iPod app). Other than that, it's great! EQu has replaced the iPod app for some of my music.

Jan 4, 2011 at 10:45 AM Post #10 of 128

Great app, agreed. 

My Monster Copper's sound great using this. Using my old iPod 6g sounded quite bad - I was disappointed with the headphones :)

The only things I can't find:

Is it possible to navigate through a single track? fast-forward/rewind even?
Showing cover art while navigating the album listing would be an added bonus!

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #12 of 128

When do you expect the native version for Ipad to be released.  And do you expect that version to run seamlessly in the background so that you can take advantage of the Ipad's functionality without disabling the EQu program? 

Thanks.  Nice work. 
Quote:
Hi everybody,

I am the developer of EQu. You are all right about the flaws in the app, but let's not forget that this is version 1.0. We are working on updates to fix all these matters. Of course we have tested the app before releasing it but some bugs only occur in special situations. Don't worry in time we'll fix them all.
We just submitted a new update to Apple in which:
  1. the music navigation is improved dramatically
  2. performance on 3GS is improved
  3. minor bugs fixes

We are now working on a new update in which the app will be completely native for the iPad and also in this update we will attack other flaws and bugs.
So please be a bit patient and thanks for downloading EQu!

If you encounter any problems with EQu please send me a detailed mail.

Cheers,

Victor

Jan 6, 2011 at 3:33 AM Post #13 of 128
Hi everybody,

Sorry for my absence for the last days. Let me answer some of your questions /remarks.

- Version 1.1.1 is also a native version for the iPad.
- scrolling within a song sounds easy but is a lot rewriting code... but with version 1.2 it will be fixed
- we will release within a few days a relative small update to improve the music navigation even more.

Our goal is to make the app perfect and we will do our utmost best to do so!

Thanks and a happy new year,

Victor
elephantcandy

Jan 6, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #14 of 128
I tried the Equ on 3GS and though it sounds great, there are times (app switching etc) when the songs will skip. Is this an expected behaviour?

Jan 7, 2011 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 128
Hi Randius,

We found out that on the 3GS this problem occurs sometimes. If you reboot your device it works fine again. Probably there is not enough memory available......

let me know if this does the trick,

Victor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back