Impressions - Single Power Extreme (standard cfg)
Apr 24, 2007 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 98

Asr

Headphoneus Supremus
The unit I have on loan from Mikhail is the completely standard configuration - none of the alternate tubes. I'm blown away at how much this amp doesn't sound like a tube amp. Less tubey than my Cayin HA-1A, which doesn't sound close to tubey either. Loaded with the kind of speed, clarity, and resolution of a solid-state amp! Some definite warmth in the mid-range of course, just not on the side of being tubey IMO - more like tubey solid-statey.

Strong bass, it really helps add some lower-level push on the K701 and ratchets it up for a kind of syrupy sound. Very, very smooth sound, completely fluid.

A superb match for the K340 too. I can't believe how much extra information the K340 picks up with the Extreme - it seems like the K340 misses like 5% of the details in the music without the Extreme. Definitely adds overall refinement with the K340.

I can't say with certainty how the amp compares with my Cayin HA-1A but they do seem about on equal footing - both have amazing speed and clarity for tubes, and massive power output. The Cayin does have more mid-bass (read: punch) but without an ABX comparison, I can't say what else differs.

Build quality is absolutely fantastic. Very shiny & reflective coating. Although it's light, it still feels like it's got heft when you're holding it.

I have to say that my first experience with a Single Power tube amp is definitely looking good. Not really what I expected upon initial listen but maybe this will grow on me.
smily_headphones1.gif
I really have to give huge thanks to Mikhail for this unit, I asked him at HeadFest if I could have a loaner to try out (well he did have a huge pile of them) and BAM I got one!
eek.gif

spex_x1.jpg

spex_x2.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 6:01 AM Post #3 of 98
Heh actually I kinda wish I didn't have all this new stuff to write about. My GS-X still has not been listened to yet and I actually own it! The GS-X is weeping in its corner because it thinks I'm ignoring it on purpose.
tongue.gif

This isn't going to be a review thread btw, I don't want to do a full review of this amp, just quick updated impressions.
wink.gif
I can't even use my Cayin simultaneously with it either, I no longer have enough interconnects to use four or more amps simultaneously.

Apr 24, 2007 at 7:03 AM Post #8 of 98
I actually bought one of these after walking in to the singlepower room about 20 minutes before the meet ended.

At first I was completely unimpressed because in stock form it does sound very solid state(and I can't tell the difference between high end solid state amps, head-fi confession) Of course, when I say high end solid state amps i am talking upper echelon, so that is a feat in itself.

The singlepower seems to respond very well to tube rolling. Mikhail put a lot of different tubes through to the demo unit in an attempt to entice me into a purchase. Most of the higher end tubes that he brought out seemed to only refine the solid state presentation of the amp, which in all honesty I wasn't interested in. The differences were akin to when I AB'ed the gilmore v2 and dynahi. Once I told him I was actually looking for a "tubey" sound, he popped in a bendix tube into the driver slot and it totally(re. relatively) transformed the sound.

I haven't been around head-fi with any regularity in the past couple of years, but this amp has started a bit of a renaissance for me.

Apr 24, 2007 at 1:03 PM Post #9 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are those the stock tubes? i thought the stock tubes were bigger more 'extreme' looking.

The 6080 is the military straight bottle version of the coke bottle shaped 6AS7G. These coke bottle shaped tubes are referred to as "shoulder tubes". In addition, there is a coke bottle shaped military tube called the 5998 .... and a rare version called the 2399 .... as well as a few others like the 7236. All these tubes are very powerful and in this amp can drive even the K1000 with ease. In fact, I have been enjoying your old K1000 that George loaned me with my Extreme.
k1000smile.gif

First pic a pair of Bendix 6080's.

HPIM0531.jpg

Second pic a pair of 2399's.

HPIM0283.jpg

Third pic a pair of 5998's in my Supra-Extreme.

HPIM0243.jpg

Fourth pic is the extremely powerful 6528 .... you CAN NOT use this tube in the standard Extreme. This tube eats 5.0 amps of heater current per tube and requires a much larger power transformer and some other higher spec'd parts, power resistors, diodes etc ... to work properly in an Extreme.

HPIM0139.jpg

EDIT: FYI .... here is a pic of the 6AS7G that I use in my transformer coupled Space Tech Lab headamp. The 6AS7G is an inexpensive tube at around $11 each. I am currently using this tube in my Extreme. The 6AS7G is one of my favorite tubes particularly given its lower cost.
wink.gif

HPIM0323.jpg

Apr 24, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #10 of 98
Can the Extreme also have speaker binding posts to drive book shelf speakers well or as good as other amps in that price range? Just curious because I think someone had that configured in their version.

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by raif /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey sacdlover, what is the difference in sq between the stock(i think they were sylvanias) 6080s and bendix 6080s?

The Bendix just sound better; more refined and subjectively quieter. I think the 6AS7G is the tube to use for sound quality vs value .... and the cool look.
cool.gif

The gain tubes will make more difference overall. You can literally do anything sound signature wise with this amp with the input/gain tube choices available. If you want a tubier sound the 6sn7 or 7n7 are likely what you want. I like the 6cg7/6gu7 for gain in my Extreme. Depending on what headphone you are using there is almost assuredly something synergistic. For instance, I like a 6414 or 6829 tube with my senn 580/600 + Extreme ..... because this tube wakes the senns up.
580smile.gif

Apr 24, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #13 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can the Extreme also have speaker binding posts to drive book shelf speakers well or as good as other amps in that price range? Just curious because I think someone had that configured in their version.

Without the beefier tubes the most the extreme can put out is about 2 watts into 4 ohms (Im guessing). If you have some really efficient full range drivers than go for it
smily_headphones1.gif
. Its not a super cheap upgrade because you can't just tack bninding posts on the back as the impedence requirements of headphones are very different from speakers. Its probably about 150$ (again Im guessing)

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #14 of 98
Now, I don't mean to offend anyone, but why would you want a tube amp that sounds like SS? I don't understand... Seeing as SS amps generally have the edge in terms of convenience (size, weight, durability), a tube amp that sounds more SS seems to me like it'd be the worst of both worlds. Am I missing something?

Apr 24, 2007 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 98
No, no you've got to look at it this way: It's an amp that has the potential of bringing to the table both solid state sound or tube sound depending on the tubes you plug into it. So you can have both flavors with one amp. I suppose many tube amps may offer something close to this, but with Mikhail's adapters and stuff I know the flexibility of options for rolling with his tube amps can be pretty amazing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back