Impressions of the Smabat NCO2?
Jan 31, 2022 at 3:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

whatisthisidonteven

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! I'm new. I was told in a pm that my previous post in the introductions, help, and recommendations forum would be better suited here, so I've redacted it and copied it over

There are quite a few results here on the forums when you search for the Smabat NCO, but not for the Smabat NCO2. Has anybody here tried them? What were your impressions? Is it reasonable to expect that the second version performs similarly to the original?

I would include a link or photos but it seems new users on the forums are discouraged from doing that due to spam (understandably). To be clear, I am not affiliated with them in any way

Thank you for your thoughts!

Feb 15, 2022 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 10
IMG_20220215_190625.jpg

Just received NCO2, will listen it first til 40+ hours and comparing with first NCO

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:08 AM Post #5 of 10
I ask my friend to graph both my NCO and NCO2, already graphed my Blon BL03 mod before (the graph still the same as BL03 without mod, it just has better transient which make no bloated bass)

Here's the graph comparison:
Blue = Smabat NCO2
Red = Smabat NCO
Green = Blon BL-03 (internal wiring mod)
1646981832895.png

For me Smabat NCO is just a better Blon BL03, less bloated bass, more upper mid energy and better resolution, which is easily i would say it's the upgrade of Blon BL03 that i hoped for

So, how does NCO2 compared to NCO?
NCO2 definitely has a little bit better technical (definition, resolution, more energetic, etc) than NCO BUT it has much bigger bass (which shown in the graph).
NCO2 is top 5 in term of impact bass (based on hundreds of iems i've tried), it has bigger impact than JVC FX850 that might offense lot of people

Should you buy NCO2?
well, i don't recommend if you want something neutral since it is NOT, but if you don't mind Big bass (really big bass with great impact) then it might be the one that will satisfy you for sub $50 budget. it's on basshead level, not really clean but good enough

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 11:23 AM Post #6 of 10
Thank you Asakurai! I was looking for a similar sound to my NCO which I really like but that has problems with the right driver now and then, the NCO2 from your description and the graph is not my cup of tea, I appreciate the help.

Apr 1, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #7 of 10
Thank you Asakurai! I was looking for a similar sound to my NCO which I really like but that has problems with the right driver now and then, the NCO2 from your description and the graph is not my cup of tea, I appreciate the help.
I too own the NCO. If you have ever removed its cable, perhaps to try upgrade cables like I have, then beware of the following: the MMCX connectors are never fully connected to the IEMs until a barely audible 'click' is heard or somehow felt, commonly requiring extra steady but gentle effort before this will happen; it is how I got rid of a similar problem with mine.

Attachments

• Smabat NCO.jpeg
    Smabat NCO.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 0
Sep 14, 2022 at 6:41 AM Post #8 of 10
My Smabat NCO, which I liked a lot, are slowly dying too (right driver in my case too): bass are lost and sound is weak, even using them connected to a dac-amp. Cable is not the issue, since I replaced it with the one I use with my Fiio F9 Pro and the problem is still present.
Has anyone a suggestion for a replacement in the same price range (NCO2 is not an option from what I have read above)?

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 4:13 PM Post #9 of 10
I adore these IEMs, but I'm not sure if I'm hearing a little bit of a 'gargling' effect on the main vocals develop over time? Could just be me tho. It's very slight tho. NCO is still a remarkable value DD. Analogue bass, thin but not sterile mids and a unique 3d soundstage... Not that wide, but great instrument placement. In fact, it's closer to a single BA, but with the warmth and sub bass of a DD.

Oct 17, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #10 of 10
My Smabat NCO, which I liked a lot, are slowly dying too (right driver in my case too): bass are lost and sound is weak, even using them connected to a dac-amp. Cable is not the issue, since I replaced it with the one I use with my Fiio F9 Pro and the problem is still present.
Has anyone a suggestion for a replacement in the same price range (NCO2 is not an option from what I have read above)?
I second alleroy´s petition, the cable isn´t the issue in my case either and at the current rate I´ll be listening in mono to the NCO soon, any recommendations under €100 are most welcome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back