Impressions of the Official Head-Fi Houston Fourth-of-July Weekend Meet: Saturday - July 2nd, 2016 @ Looscan Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #61 of 97

Thank you for the clarification, George.  Given the amp is a solid 34-35lbs, I am not at all surprised the case weighs as much.  Having set it up in my listening station, and then moving it to and from the meet, it's clear how stout and well constructed the amp is.

purk - I thought you meant you'd seen the case on e-bay when I read your post:  "I just found similar looking chassis on ebay.  The amp looks nice however!".  My apologies if I misunderstood.

HS

I actually found something similar but I wasn't 100% sure.  The chasis appears to be the T2 chassis hence my initial comment.  Thanks Sam.

Jul 8, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #62 of 97
  I actually found something similar but I wasn't 100% sure.  The chasis appears to be the T2 chassis hence my initial comment.  Thanks Sam.

You were spot on about it being the T2 chassis, purk.  

Would be nice if you could have a listen with your preferred cans.  George set me up for 450v 20ma.  The uuuuuuge trafo and other parts he loaded it with (e.g. some bad arse caps rated for 680uf / 500v+), including a DACT stepper I sent, turned out very nice.  The bits filled that big, low profile case completely.  The Carbon fleshed out my 007A's nicely...I didn't expect as much of a change as my KGST is a 400v unit.

HS

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #63 of 97
@buyao, what version of the Beyerdynamic T1's did you have, v1 or v2.  I really liked them and I'm thinking of selling my RS1's to get a pair of T1's.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #64 of 97
  @buyao, what version of the Beyerdynamic T1's did you have, v1 or v2.  I really liked them and I'm thinking of selling my RS1's to get a pair of T1's.

Glad that you liked them. Mine is the v1 version and the balanced mod is done by Robert @ Aphrodite Cu29. Personally I feel that balanced T1 has better imaging, wider soundstage and sounds smoother compared to the original single-ended version.

Jul 8, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #66 of 97
Okay, got it.  I thought I remembered them being balanced, and I knew the v2 sells a balanced cable but I thought they were v1, so I was a bit confused.  I noticed a big difference on my Mjolnir 2 when I run the SE vs the balanced, but on my amp there is 4x more power from the balanced output than the SE one.  I really liked the way the T1 sounded, but knowing there's an improved version out there with detachable cable intrigues me.  Pretty sure my wallet is going to hate me.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #68 of 97
  Your T1s sounded much better than my t5ps sounded but I assumed it was because they were closed. I am wondering how much I could benefit from a balanced option with my Primes.  

That will be a whole new can of worms.  Cables, amp and DAC all have to be balanced.  A very good SE amp will sound just as good if not better than a so so balanced set up.

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #69 of 97
  That will be a whole new can of worms.  Cables, amp and DAC all have to be balanced.  A very good SE amp will sound just as good if not better than a so so balanced set up.

A conversation with you is why I am looking for a better dac situation. Basically you owned the DX80 and moved up. Are you happy with your dap, or should I be looking to jump up past a Questyle Dap? (Stupidly I never listened to yours) I am definitely opening a can of worms.   

I am looking at possibly a Grace 902, or Oppo HA-1. Some combination and a Mr. Speaker Cable. 

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:42 AM Post #70 of 97
I am very happy with the QP1R, great match with the Ether C and most of my music.  I have not heard the Grace 902 or the Oppo HA-1 but I have come across many high praises for both.  Since Oppo's phones are all planars and that HA-1 looks like a beast, would really like to get my hands on one.

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:13 AM Post #71 of 97
It may prove to be too expensive for me as I only have $600-$700 at this point unless I settle for Primes. There is some benefit to primes though as Ethers demanded even better recordings than Primes. (my only complaint which is not really a complaint)

Jul 9, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #72 of 97
Stick with the Primes for as long as you can, they are great headphones. I waited a long time before buying the Ether C because I enjoyed the Alphas so much.

If you are still looking for work headphones try iems. I recently bought a Sony XBA 100 which I forgot to bring to the meet. Sonys newest armature offering. Single driver but very good sounding. Lean on sub bass but very good over all.

Jul 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM Post #75 of 97
I have all three ZMF pads (protein, lamb, and cow hide) and the lamb are my favorite.  A touch more bass with cowhide, but the lamb are just so much better feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back