Impressions of the Official Head-Fi Houston Fourth-of-July Weekend Meet: Saturday - July 2nd, 2016 @ Looscan Library
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 6, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #46 of 97
Is that a KGSSHV or KGSSHV Carbon edition?  The builder used the T2 chassis.  That by itself is $1500 for casework alone.

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #48 of 97
Never mind about the T2 chassis.  I just found similar looking chassis on ebay.  The amp looks nice however!

Jul 6, 2016 at 6:54 PM Post #49 of 97
  Never mind about the T2 chassis.  I just found similar looking chassis on ebay.  The amp looks nice however!

Custom chassis, purk.  George designed it and had it made for his T2's and did another run for the Carbons.  He then had it anodized.  It's quite stout...no e-bay purchase.

HS

Jul 6, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #51 of 97
for the ether c converts, I'm curious as to whether or not you find them "lean" or "clinical"?

I had a side by side comparo with ether O recently and I preferred the O tho it wasn't really fair as I didn't have my mojo or amp with me and it handicapped the ether C prolly

It looks like a great meet btw, too bad I live abroad!

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #52 of 97
for the ether c converts, I'm curious as to whether or not you find them "lean" or "clinical"?

I had a side by side comparo with ether O recently and I preferred the O tho it wasn't really fair as I didn't have my mojo or amp with me and it handicapped the ether C prolly

It looks like a great meet btw, too bad I live abroad!

Yeah, it was a great meet, though I wonder if the Ether E Prototype left us feeling like lab rats in that otherwise-large-room, myself included. :rolleyes:

Still, it was a fun listen, especially after comparing it to the Ether C, like I did during CanJam@SoCal this past March.

For those interested in hearing the Grado GS2000e or Sennheiser HD800S, I am on the TTVJ loaner list for both and will see them in a couple-of-weeks and about a month-and-a-half, respectively. If you are interested in taking a Saturday to listen to them with me, PM me and I can arrange a particular place and time, whether it be at Looscan Library on a Saturday again or otherwise.:)

Jul 6, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #53 of 97

I couldn't help but see your signature and the wonderful stuff on it, purk! Very nice! Feel like taking a trip to Houston sometime next year? With the setup you have, I might even let you call the month, day, and time and make you an honorary speaker at our meet! :cool:

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #54 of 97
Oh yeah! I did have a suggestion for the next meet, whenever that may be.
Perhaps we could arrange for the electrostatic headphone setups to be all on one side of the room. I think that might make it a little easier to compare between different components.
Just a suggestion!

Jul 7, 2016 at 1:24 AM Post #56 of 97
Oh yeah! I did have a suggestion for the next meet, whenever that may be.
Perhaps we could arrange for the electrostatic headphone setups to be all on one side of the room. I think that might make it a little easier to compare between different components.
Just a suggestion!

Yeah that would be better.

Jul 7, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #57 of 97
Looks like it was a good meet.  Sorry to have missed it.  It's nice to see the Houston scene evolve.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:24 PM Post #58 of 97

Custom chassis, purk.  George designed it and had it made for his T2's and did another run for the Carbons.  He then had it anodized.  It's quite stout...no e-bay purchase.

HS

Correction as the case wasnt exactly my design - I copied Kevin Gilmore's DIY-T2 chassis for a small T2 group buy a while back, had a few extra custom heatsinks made and then had some front and back plates made (with CAD help from another member) so I could case up a Carbon or two. And yes, the case is stout, nearly 15lbs of t6061 aluminum.

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #59 of 97

Correction as the case wasnt exactly my design - I copied Kevin Gilmore's DIY-T2 chassis for a small T2 group buy a while back, had a few extra custom heatsinks made and then had some front and back plates made (with CAD help from another member) so I could case up a Carbon or two. And yes, the case is stout, nearly 15lbs of t6061 aluminum.

So I was correct then.  Thanks George!

Jul 8, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #60 of 97

Thank you for the clarification, George.  Given the amp is a solid 34-35lbs, I am not at all surprised the case weighs as much.  Having set it up in my listening station, and then moving it to and from the meet, it's clear how stout and well constructed the amp is.

purk - I thought you meant you'd seen the case on e-bay when I read your post:  "I just found similar looking chassis on ebay.  The amp looks nice however!".  My apologies if I misunderstood.

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back