Impressions: Millet Hybrid vs Dynalo
Jun 27, 2006 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Jam_Master_J

Headphoneus Supremus
kin0kin just got me a fully assembled MH board with a PSU so I got right to work and did most of the casework and wiring. The MH is mostly done except the front panel isn't secured and back panel isn't complete, pretty much done other than that though, enough for testing anyway. I forget the tube type but here is the other relevant info. Panny FM output caps(Cerafine or Black Gates soon), OPA 551 buffers(soon to be diamond), Alps pot, TREAD style regulator to 24V.

Decided to compare it to my current Kevin Gilmore Dynalo /w dual-TREAD PSU. Source was my Musical Fidelity X-DAC and headphones were re-cabled 2003 DT880. Here are my quick impressions, I will expand on them later:

Dynalo: Light, effortless presentation. Makes the 880s sound very active and "on their feet", bass is snappy but a bit thin at times. Mids are detailed but a bit distant. Generally expansive, airy and detailed sound but occasionally comes off as sounding a little dry.

dynalo2.jpg

Millet Hybrid: More organic sounding with a more developed lower-midrange and upper-bass region. Presentation feels more restrained but intimate(both a plus and a minus). Highs are clear with a little less glare than the Dynalo but apparent detail seems slightly lower. Generally sounds more "grounded" and intimate than the Dynalo.

IMG_5641.jpg

Currently I'm leaning more towards the MH simply because it seems to synergize with the dt880s quite well but it will be a tough choice. Sadly, I cannot justify having two good amps around right now but I'd love to have the flexibility of these two sound profiles.

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 12
That's a nice looking Dynalo you have there. Simple and elegant, nice work.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 12:24 AM Post #4 of 12
Marshall does do nice work... I enjoyed my old PIMETA for some time and he has made me a PINT. We're just waiting on rechargable batteries.
wink.gif

Jun 27, 2006 at 8:55 AM Post #5 of 12
I don't remember who said it, but in a construction thread somewhere, it was said:

"The Millett Hybrid is a nice pair of beer goggles, while the Dynalo is the cold, clear light of dawn."

Or close to that. It sums up my experience with the two pretty well.

Jun 29, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jarthel
did you put a blue led somewhere near the tube socket? WHY???
confused.gif

The heaters of the millett are pretty dull. On some of mine, you can barely see them glow. A lot of folks throw LEDs underneath to make it look a little more interesting.

I'm actually planning on putting some orangish-red ones under my milletts to "enhance" the tube's glow
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by motherone
The heaters of the millett are pretty dull. On some of mine, you can barely see them glow. A lot of folks throw LEDs underneath to make it look a little more interesting.

I'm actually planning on putting some orangish-red ones under my milletts to "enhance" the tube's glow
biggrin.gif

very "untube-like"
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back