Impressions & Loaner Tour || TFTA-2100-2V1S
Jan 25, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #121 of 191
I have read your review... which is really helpful, thanks. Only thing is comparing to the 1xb to the phonak is what i would think comparing apples and oranges. If the difference of the two tfta phones are in bass/clarity than the 1v should face the phonak.
Hence the question, how would the 1xb compare to other bassy phones... 

came across one on ebay.

Jan 25, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #122 of 191
Well the 1V's are very close sound wise to the 1XB's

I only compared the phonaks simply as i had them there.

TBH to that list I could have added:

-IE7 - which are RRP £110, i bought at £35 refurbished
-C710 which are £90
-C751 which are £70
-EX700 which are RRP £140, which i bought from anadin here on head-fi for £70

I just thought to keep it between 3 - I'll probably add to it soon :D!

Jan 25, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #123 of 191
I think it should be noted these are VERY tip dependant. Even with excessive burn-in my XB's sounded so muffled and bass heavy. With the dual flange tips that came with the DUNU Tridents mid bass was lowered and there was a sparkle in the treble. Certainly there are better earphones out there for £100 but for bass cannons i doubt these will be beaten

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:09 AM Post #124 of 191

Quote:
I think it should be noted these are VERY tip dependant. Even with excessive burn-in my XB's sounded so muffled and bass heavy. With the dual flange tips that came with the DUNU Tridents mid bass was lowered and there was a sparkle in the treble. Certainly there are better earphones out there for £100 but for bass cannons i doubt these will be beaten

indeed coming from other earphones, well...any earphones, these will sound different - especially bass wise

And i don't know about muffled:
Mids and highs sparkle on my TFTA 1XB's

Put it this way, if ur thinking the TFTA 1XB's are muffled, wait till you hear the:
-Monster turbines
-C751
-Sony XB500 headphones
-Sony XB700 headphones (less so)

I don;t disagree that these aren't as shiny as the C710's or the se535's but i wouldn't class them as being muffled, maybe over powered with bass? I don't know, that might just be me!

Jan 26, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #126 of 191

Quote:
anyone with Future Sonics Atrio M5 (MG7) experience? 

I meantioned them briefly with the 1V's earlier in the thread.  Suffice to say there is no competition IMO. The mg7 Atrio has deeper, tighter, and better textured bass. The 1V is mostly mid bass and overall presentation is reminiscent of the W3. The Atrio is clearer and drier through the midrange and treble is better detailed without being fatiguing.  The Atrio has better timbre and imaging as well. 

The mg7 Atrios are quite a bargain at $99 after 50% coupon for atrio.me that's floating around. Again, this IMO. YMMV. 

Jan 26, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #127 of 191

Quote:

I meantioned them briefly with the 1V's earlier in the thread.  Suffice to say there is no competition IMO. The mg7 Atrio has deeper, tighter, and better textured bass. The 1V is mostly mid bass and overall presentation is reminiscent of the W3. The Atrio is clearer and drier through the midrange and treble is better detailed without being fatiguing.  The Atrio has better timbre and imaging as well. 

The mg7 Atrios are quite a bargain at $99 after 50% coupon for atrio.me that's floating around. Again, this IMO. YMMV. 

I would love to hear them :)

I think I might sell my 1V's

The way i put it before:
The TFTA's are both in my opinion lamborghini's in bass
But yet, the 1V feels like its a restrained, tamed and modified lambo, whereas the 1XB is untamed and unleashed.

I think people wanting bass should get the 1XB with no exception, and the 1V falls in the middle of bas heavy and mid-esk phones
Problem here is if you want mids, and not that much emphasis on bass, as you said, there are other things out there

Price wise though, they are brilliantly priced, I haven't found one earphones, apart from the TFTA's to think: These are worth more than what I'm hearing.
All other earphones I've heard i thought to myself:
I've paid or people are paying way to much for what they are worth

Scratch that they are now on sale (see sig)
Also bear in mind i am doing a sort of semi-loaner thing too.

You can listen to them, and if you don't like them return them
See my sale thread for more details on that one.

Jan 26, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #128 of 191
Quote:
anyone with Future Sonics Atrio M5 (MG7) experience? 

I totally agree with shotgunshane.  I purchased a pair of 1XBs from a fellow Head-Fier at a very generous price because I was having comfort problems with my MG7 Atrios, and though they feel like they have comparable sub-bass, the 1XBs don't compare in any other aspect.  My musical tastes focus around electronic, hip hop, rock, jazz, and folk.

They're heavier (though maybe sturdier) due to their metal body, have a larger body (which was already a problem for my ears with the Atrios), have a more tangle-prone cable (rubbery, not plastic-y), and suffer from driver flex.  From a sonic perspective, their mid-bass is so huge that it overwhelms the rest of the spectrum.  To me the Atrios have a very pleasant, natural sound and their bass emphasis is focused on extension and accuracy.  The 1XBs on the other hand, are all about quantity, choking out so much of the mids and highs that when I switched back to my Atrios I was amazed at how open and uncongested they sounded.

If you're only after the largest sum of energy possible at the lowest frequencies possible (like maybe for movies?) then the 1XBs are a shoo-in, but the Atrios give what I feel to be a much more musical, natural representation.  That's not to say that I couldn't get used to the 1XBs and appreciate them with some brain burn-in, but if I had to choose one or the other I would definitely go for the MG7 Atrios.

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #129 of 191

Quote:

The way i put it before: The TFTA's are both in my opinion lamborghini's in bass
But yet, the 1V feels like its a restrained, tamed and modified lambo, whereas the 1XB is untamed and unleashed.

Restrained in sub bass or mid bass ?

Jan 26, 2012 at 2:44 PM Post #130 of 191

Quote:
Restrained in sub bass or mid bass ?

a little bit of both

I don't feel it as much nor do I hear it as much - if that makes sense

But with that comes like a pull down in the low freq and a little push up to the mids

Lemme see if i can paint this LOL

Something like this? lol

Actually this is very fun - I should do what i THINK I HEAR for some earphones I have heard - wait up :p

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #132 of 191

Quote:
I totally agree with shotgunshane.  I purchased a pair of 1XBs from a fellow Head-Fier at a very generous price because I was having comfort problems with my MG7 Atrios, and though they feel like they have comparable sub-bass, the 1XBs don't compare in any other aspect.  My musical tastes focus around electronic, hip hop, rock, jazz, and folk.

They're heavier (though maybe sturdier) due to their metal body, have a larger body (which was already a problem for my ears with the Atrios), have a more tangle-prone cable (rubbery, not plastic-y), and suffer from driver flex.  From a sonic perspective, their mid-bass is so huge that it overwhelms the rest of the spectrum.  To me the Atrios have a very pleasant, natural sound and their bass emphasis is focused on extension and accuracy.  The 1XBs on the other hand, are all about quantity, choking out so much of the mids and highs that when I switched back to my Atrios I was amazed at how open and uncongested they sounded.

If you're only after the largest sum of energy possible at the lowest frequencies possible (like maybe for movies?) then the 1XBs are a shoo-in, but the Atrios give what I feel to be a much more musical, natural representation.  That's not to say that I couldn't get used to the 1XBs and appreciate them with some brain burn-in, but if I had to choose one or the other I would definitely go for the MG7 Atrios.

Interesting!
are you being really analytical here, or is it a substantial difference?

As I put my D2K's on yesterday, and didn't feel i was really missing something  - yes the D2K's were better in sound stage, and mids and highs, but it didn't mean the TFTA's were hiding something. At least this is what I felt.

Jan 27, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #133 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Dubbed /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Interesting!
are you being really analytical here, or is it a substantial difference?

No, the difference is quite substantial.  To my ears the bass on the 1XBs is so boosted in mid-bass frequencies that when I switch back to the Atrios it's like a re-revelation of everything between 300 Hz and 6 kHz, and in detail across the board.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #134 of 191

Quote:

No, the difference is quite substantial.  To my ears the bass on the 1XBs is so boosted in mid-bass frequencies that when I switch back to the Atrios it's like a re-revelation of everything between 300 Hz and 6 kHz, and in detail across the board.

Unfortunately I can't agree with that - I put on my D2K's and don't hear a whole load of difference, as in what's lost and what's not

If anything my XB700's sound muddier than my TFTA 1XB's

I presume you have let your 1XB's burn-in right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back