Impressions & Loaner Tour || TFTA-2100-2V1S
Jan 28, 2012 at 6:05 AM Post #137 of 191
I double chcked.

There are no mids missing on my TFTA's vs my Denon D2000's
Unless my denon's are missing them too? lol

I understand what you mean, but it isn't missing, but is put in the background

In these diagrams, I'm trying to show what I hear, and what is more forward or backwards and more dominant when I hear
The circles aren't good, so ignore them -> was supposed to represent sound stage

RED = LOWS
GREEN = MIDS
BLUE = HIGHS

The circle around it, although not represented well here, is MUCH larger on the denon's than on the TFTA's

Now, see below, in what I think of the XB700 headphones:

Jan 28, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #139 of 191
I didn't see your reply lol?

We all know sound is subjective, but we try to our best of our ability, at least some of us here, to describe what we hear, and write it so that people get a better idea.

No offence slim, but you haven't ever said something useful towards me nor been respectful 

Each time I have seen you write something, as in your reply to me, is: "why do you keep talking about the TFTA's"

Jan 29, 2012 at 4:29 PM Post #140 of 191

Quote:

No, the difference is quite substantial.  To my ears the bass on the 1XBs is so boosted in mid-bass frequencies that when I switch back to the Atrios it's like a re-revelation of everything between 300 Hz and 6 kHz, and in detail across the board.

I agree. I found the 1XB to be really nice IEMs but when I got my Atrio MG7, there was a major difference in the lower frequencies. The Atrio's have no mid-bass hump, no mid-range bleed. The bass is much more textured, much more neutral and the sub-bass gives a stronger visceral feel (the Atrio must move more air than the 1XB).
Quote:
Unfortunately I can't agree with that - I put on my D2K's and don't hear a whole load of difference, as in what's lost and what's not

If anything my XB700's sound muddier than my TFTA 1XB's

I presume you have let your 1XB's burn-in right?

You mentioned you are yet to hear the Atrio. I still listen to my 1XB's and enjoy them, mainly for movies but if you want a head to head comparison, you should really get a pair of the Atrio's.

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:43 PM Post #141 of 191

Quote:
I agree. I found the 1XB to be really nice IEMs but when I got my Atrio MG7, there was a major difference in the lower frequencies. The Atrio's have no mid-bass hump, no mid-range bleed. The bass is much more textured, much more neutral and the sub-bass gives a stronger visceral feel (the Atrio must move more air than the 1XB).
You mentioned you are yet to hear the Atrio. I still listen to my 1XB's and enjoy them, mainly for movies but if you want a head to head comparison, you should really get a pair of the Atrio's.

Well - if I ever feel like I need to then maybe - but I'm quite happy still :)

EDIT:
How would you compare the two then?

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #142 of 191

Quote:
Well - if I ever feel like I need to then maybe - but I'm quite happy still :)

EDIT:
How would you compare the two then?

Fair enough. I only mentioned it because it seemed you were implying the 1XB is superior to the Atrio but no matter, the 1XB is no slouch and I am also enjoying them, mainly for movies.

I would say that the overall experience with the Atrio is superior to the 1XB in pretty much everyway. More specifically, the bass of the 1XB is no match for the Atrio. The depth, control and neutrality just can't be matched. The mid bass on the 1XB make it absolutely anything but neutral and natural.
The natural and intimate feel of the mids, along with the lack of mid-range bleed makes the Atrio's significantly better in this range. The high end of the 1XB is something I really like. I would say it is just about at the level of the Atrio, though the Atrio might be a smidge ahead but it's a close call.

Also, the 1XB's gets it's soundstage due to it's vents, whereas the Atrio is non-vented and has excellent soundstage (especially depth) and positioning from great driver tuning, not vents.

I know it's a very short comparison and I could write a much longer essay however, I don't see the need because I am clearly saying 1XB's are good, especially for movies but really, they don't touch the Atrio's.

Jan 30, 2012 at 6:26 AM Post #143 of 191
Wow that's interesting - especially of the bass comparison.

By depth and control what do you mean.
To me it sounds like the Atrio's are more neutral sounding, and thus why have a more controlled bass
As in:
My W2's had a more controlled bass, but that didn't mean that they were better in bass over my EX500's - this was due to the fact that the W2's had much less bass quantity (significantly less)

I can't speak for the Atrio's nor make any sorts of comparisons - I'm just speaking from experience with other earphones.
Got to say though, the look of the Atrio's look like some £5 earphones you buy from HMV...
They must be light on your ears right?
I presume, not over-ear either, just like the TFTA's straight up and in?

I really need to hear them now - dam you Nav...i thought my earphone craving was over LOL - oh the joys of head-fi :p

EDIT:
Oh and no - I never said that - how can i be the judge of something I haven't even heard lol - I trust your judgement to say the least - reading your reviews and what not - some others I would have trouble following - such as mark, who really prefers precision over quantity of bass

You on the other hand, i feel you are a little like me, and Luco - who love bass quantity and quality above all else (generally speaking or at least we are ones that can "cope" with that lvl of bass)
What I was saying, and you quoted me before, was about my D2K's and Xb700's - by that, when the gent said he was missing a whole lot of mids, I agree but not to the point that they are missing entirely, as by comparison i got my Xb700's and my D2K's just to check - and if anything my XB700's were lacking mids

Jan 30, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #144 of 191
@navmau, the Atrios are vented. The vents are located near the base of the nozzle. 

Edit: I was incorrect. They do appear sealed. I could swear they had vents when I previously owned them a year ago. I wonder if there has been a design change? My previous version had a different case and didn't have the black foam tips but it did say mg7 driver on the Eco packaging. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #145 of 191

Quote:
Wow that's interesting - especially of the bass comparison.

By depth and control what do you mean.
To me it sounds like the Atrio's are more neutral sounding, and thus why have a more controlled bass
As in:
My W2's had a more controlled bass, but that didn't mean that they were better in bass over my EX500's - this was due to the fact that the W2's had much less bass quantity (significantly less)

I can't speak for the Atrio's nor make any sorts of comparisons - I'm just speaking from experience with other earphones.
Got to say though, the look of the Atrio's look like some £5 earphones you buy from HMV...
They must be light on your ears right?
I presume, not over-ear either, just like the TFTA's straight up and in?

I really need to hear them now - dam you Nav...i thought my earphone craving was over LOL - oh the joys of head-fi :p

EDIT:
Oh and no - I never said that - how can i be the judge of something I haven't even heard lol - I trust your judgement to say the least - reading your reviews and what not - some others I would have trouble following - such as mark, who really prefers precision over quantity of bass

You on the other hand, i feel you are a little like me, and Luco - who love bass quantity and quality above all else (generally speaking or at least we are ones that can "cope" with that lvl of bass)
What I was saying, and you quoted me before, was about my D2K's and Xb700's - by that, when the gent said he was missing a whole lot of mids, I agree but not to the point that they are missing entirely, as by comparison i got my Xb700's and my D2K's just to check - and if anything my XB700's were lacking mids

Yes, the Atrio are actually very neutral AND natural (true timbre). They are tuned to be very flat but not in the dry, boring, analytical manner. They really are a very musical, engaging pro-monitor.
You should definitely give them a go.

They look kind of cheap being all plastic but I love the tear drop shape.
Quote:
@navmau, the Atrios are vented. The vents are located near the base of the nozzle. 

Edit: I was incorrect. They do appear sealed. I could swear they had vents when I previously owned them a year ago. I wonder if there has been a design change? My previous version had a different case and didn't have the black foam tips but it did say mg7 driver on the Eco packaging. 

No change in design. I have owned every Atrio and they have never been vented.

There are actually two different versions of the Atrio, even though they have the same MG7 driver. The all black is regarded as the "Professional" model sold by FSI. The other colours are regarded as consumer, sold by atrio.me

There are some that come with a different case, made from recycled tyre tubes or something. I don't like them, much prefer the original design.

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #146 of 191
I forgot to mention that I've posted my impressions on the first page.

Feb 6, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #149 of 191
Interesting - I see what you guys mean about the mids, they are quite dark -> the 1XB's more so, but then again if you get the 1XB's you better be a basshead!

What do you guys suggest or have in comparison for me?
Something with AS MUCH or more bass than the 1V's (as the 1XB's are bassier than the 1V's) but with little more forward mids (not ear-piercing like the denon c710's/EX700's though)

These are the ones I short-listed

EDIT:

-Yamaha EPH-100 -> heavy on fit?
-VSonic GR07 -> not enough isolation, quite flat
-JVC FXT90 -> too bright for my liking
-JVC FX700 -> too bright for my liking

Am I wrong/right with these assumptions :)?

Feb 24, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #150 of 191
With a little more experience, especially with my MG7's, I can say I agree with your comments :)

The mids are laid back, and overpowered by the bass, that said not to an extreme (like the 1XB's), the 1V's I found are reasonably equal sounding.
They aren't bad, but not perfect either.

Definitely for the bassheads in you.

Don't get me wrong, I still love my TFTA's, but their mids are overpowered by the mid-bass of the TFTA's (more for the 1XB's than the 1V's)
I am currently loaning any of them out, so feel free to PM me about either or both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back