Impressions- LCD4 vs. Utopia vs. Clear vs. Elear
Sep 7, 2018 at 5:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I just wanted to write some of my impressions from demoing a few headphones.

The Focal Clear was very impressive and good value. Pretty similar to the Utopia, except with a smaller sound stage and not as good treble or bass. The Elear compared to the Clear was pretty muddy sounding in the midrange and had an even smaller soundstage. The Utopia was the best of the three, but I would have been happy with the Clear as well, especially considering the price.

Comparing the Utopia to the LCD4 (200 Ohm version), the LCD4 had better bass extension and more bass. All the detail was there, it just had less treble presence. The Utopia has a lot more treble compared to bass and reminded me of how the Sennheiser HD600 sounds. The soundstage on the Utopia while large, wasn't as large as the LCD4. The treble seemed a little hot to me on the Utopia and maybe a little peaky. The LCD4 sounded smooth with exceptional bass impact when called for, while somehow sounding fairly transparent like the Utopia. I would put the transparency of both behind the HD800/S, but they were pretty good, far better than the Elear. I had no issue with the LCD4's weight and the earpads were very comfortable, though they start to get warm after a little while. The transparency of the Clears was pretty good, but a little behind the Utopia and LCD4.

I ended up buying a LCD4 to go with my Violectric V281 :)

There have been driver failures with some of the Audeze LCD series and this was seemingly due to pressure causing the drivers to rupture. Since then, some sort of driver change was made, going from 100 to 200 Ohm, as well as the addition of a felt-like material behind the earpads to vent the earcups. As far as I know, with these changes there have been no more driver failures.

Regarding ability to drive these headphones, I remember the Clear and Elear being about the same, the Utopia needing a bit more power, and the LCD4 needing the most power, maybe 25% more than the Utopia.

All listening was done on a McIntosh MHA150. The LCD4 required a volume level at around 38%.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 7
/how much volume level do you put on V281? for some reason, my LCD3 has more bass than LCD4...the sound is louder at the same volume level...

Sep 11, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 7
/how much volume level do you put on V281? for some reason, my LCD3 has more bass than LCD4...the sound is louder at the same volume level...

Around 45-50% (Edit: this is with -6dB)

Unity gain is about 30%.

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 7
You ever compare the MHA150 to your V281? Or the two different sources? :smiling_imp:

Not that he needs one...he's the frickin' Devil.

Jul 6, 2020 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 7
I just wanted to write some of my impressions from demoing a few headphones.

The Focal Clear was very impressive and good value. Pretty similar to the Utopia, except with a smaller sound stage and not as good treble or bass. The Elear compared to the Clear was pretty muddy sounding in the midrange and had an even smaller soundstage. The Utopia was the best of the three, but I would have been happy with the Clear as well, especially considering the price.

Comparing the Utopia to the LCD4 (200 Ohm version), the LCD4 had better bass extension and more bass. All the detail was there, it just had less treble presence. The Utopia has a lot more treble compared to bass and reminded me of how the Sennheiser HD600 sounds. The soundstage on the Utopia while large, wasn't as large as the LCD4. The treble seemed a little hot to me on the Utopia and maybe a little peaky. The LCD4 sounded smooth with exceptional bass impact when called for, while somehow sounding fairly transparent like the Utopia. I would put the transparency of both behind the HD800/S, but they were pretty good, far better than the Elear. I had no issue with the LCD4's weight and the earpads were very comfortable, though they start to get warm after a little while. The transparency of the Clears was pretty good, but a little behind the Utopia and LCD4.

I ended up buying a LCD4 to go with my Violectric V281 :)

There have been driver failures with some of the Audeze LCD series and this was seemingly due to pressure causing the drivers to rupture. Since then, some sort of driver change was made, going from 100 to 200 Ohm, as well as the addition of a felt-like material behind the earpads to vent the earcups. As far as I know, with these changes there have been no more driver failures.

Regarding ability to drive these headphones, I remember the Clear and Elear being about the same, the Utopia needing a bit more power, and the LCD4 needing the most power, maybe 25% more than the Utopia.

All listening was done on a McIntosh MHA150. The LCD4 required a volume level at around 38%.
Hi what is the dound signature difference between the utopia and clears ? What small aspect does the clear does better compare to the utopia?

Dec 22, 2020 at 7:41 AM Post #7 of 7
OMG I just tried out my new LCD4s for the first time.

I've got LCD3s, LCDxc and LCDi3. Audeze had a sale and I took the plunge and bought a pair of the 200 ohm LCD4s. It was US only so I had them shipped to a mate in Florida. He posted them to me here in Australia.

Landed here delivered by USPS express international fully insured took about 2 weeks and cost me AU$4440. The RRP here is currently AU$6,300. when the dollar was lower in the 2nd quarter of 2020 they were AU$8,000.

I only plugged them into my Marantz PM80 in class A mode with my modded Marantz CD80 as a source. Both are 30 yo.

OMG they are farking unbelievable! And I'm used to LCD3 and LCDxc. Driven by a Burson Conductor 3x Reference. I'm going to have to plug them into my conductor ASAP. I also have just received a Sparko Aries and a Chord Qutest for my home office. I need to set that up.

I'm in heaven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back