Impressions - HLLY SMK-II DAC
May 9, 2011 at 3:07 AM Post #18 of 33
We recommend you buy ASIO dirver from Ploytec company if you really need it! :)

riiight... I don't think it supports 24b/96k (won't be able to try until I get my NFB-10WM back) and you have to pay $50, and in that sense many other DAC makers can be writing that 'ASIO drivers are available' for their devices.
In my opinion it's misleading to state that, since pretty Ploytec drivers support a whole lot of usb chips used in DACs today.

May 9, 2011 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 33
How comes? Please search this file name "TeraLink-X2UsbASwPkg_v0p91p6p1a_20100915.zip". I'm using it with my 64bit Win7.

Interesting... I tried both versions from http://www.ab-system.hk/USB.html (beta and stable) when I briefly had my NFB-10WM (should also be using the same tenor chip) before sending it back, also on Win7 64b, but trying to install the driver manually ( always resulted in a message similar to 'blablabla driver not intended to work with this version of window' )...

May 28, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #23 of 33
I have been kind of busy the last few weeks modifying this unit and overall I like what I am hearing now. Both of the op-amps have been swapped to LME49720HA with heat sinks. The alps volume pot has been replace with a 21 stepped attenuator using 1% surface mounted resistors.

May 29, 2011 at 9:02 PM Post #24 of 33

Quote:
I have been kind of busy the last few weeks modifying this unit and overall I like what I am hearing now. Both of the op-amps have been swapped to LME49720HA with heat sinks. The alps volume pot has been replace with a 21 stepped attenuator using 1% surface mounted resistors.

Wonderful MOD job, Miguel
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2011 at 6:43 AM Post #27 of 33
Yes, although Carl does not post much. I am still trying to meet with Ron but we have not been able to connect since we live about 4 hours apart. BTW the op-amps change with the stepped attenuator has clearly improved the already great sound out of this unit. Cheers.

Nov 22, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #29 of 33
IMO the LME49720HA is an outstanding sounding op-amp and in many applications the best. I have had great results with them in the HLLY SMK-II and the sound is more open and detailed while maintaining a punchy bass. BTW, I used heat sinks on the op-amps. I have also replaced the volume pot with a cheap attenuator from eBay, see pic below.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back