Impressions: Headroom Desktop (max module) and Corda Move
Jul 29, 2007 at 1:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

rumatt

100+ Head-Fier
I recently dove into the headphone world by purchasing:

- Corda Move
- 2006 Headroom Desktop amp (Max module + Home dac + stepped attenuator)
- AKG K701's

The Headroom is clearly the better amp, but I am left somewhat wishing that I could combine some characteristics of each.

The Headroom sounds fuller, richer, and a bigger sound stage. The separation between instruments is incredible; you can pinpoint the sounds in a big space. It is a noticeable difference from the Move. (This shouldn't surprise anyone since it costs almost 10x the price of the Move.)

However, the the one thing I am not loving about the Desktop is that for some songs it feels like the singer is far away from you. It's so smooth you can listen for hours with no fatigue, but sometimes if feels like the voices are too laid back.

What I like about the Move is that the voices more forward as if the singer is closer to you, but without being harsh or annoying. So that aspect is more fun than the Desktop, but it doesn't have the soundstage and overall presence that the Desktop does (sorry, I don't know the right fancy audiophile words to describe it). If I hadn't heard the Desktop I might be satisfied with the Move... but I did, so..

I'm going to live with the Headroom for at least a couple weeks before making a decision. But does anyone have suggestions for an amp that is on par with the Desktop but with is just slightly more forward and aggressive?

My current idea is to try a VDA-2 / GS-1 combination. (anyone have one for sale???? I had a chance to pick this combo up last week so no I'm kicking myself. )

EDIT: All listening was done using the DAC in the Headroom (Home DAC), not the Move's DAC. Also, the comparisons were with crossfeed OFF, as I do not like crossfeed.

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 16
Holy moly, a $2000 system comparison to a $200 portable amp....and the portable amp holds its ground fairly well....

Maybe you can compare it with the move's DAC and let us know how it compares....

I have read that the k701 is really really great with the heed canamp....there's a gigantic thread about it....maybe you may like that better....

Jul 29, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Holy moly, a $2000 system comparison to a $200 portable amp....and the portable amp holds its ground fairly well....

Yeah, it makes no sense to compare them.. but they're both sitting in my living room, so there you go. The Desktop is clearly the better amp.

I plan to evaluate the DAC at some point soon, but I haven't gotten to it yet.

I'll take a look at the heed canamp thread. thanks.

Jul 29, 2007 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 16
Thanks for the comparison. I am also interested in the Move DAC instead of the Home DAC and see if the sound changes for better or worse when used with both amps.

Jul 29, 2007 at 10:31 AM Post #6 of 16
When you say the HRD "feels like the singer is far away from you" I suspect the cause may be the K701. Have you tried the HRD with the HD650? I like the Desktop best, BTW, with the GS-1000. With the 650 and GSK, you don't get that "far away" feeling.

Jul 29, 2007 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When you say the HRD "feels like the singer is far away from you" I suspect the cause may be the K701. Have you tried the HRD with the HD650?

Interesting, thanks. I first blamed it on the K701's, but when I switched to K701 + Move it didn't sound like that. I'll have to pick up a set of 650's and give them a shot.

What's weird is that

a) Headroom sells their amps with K701's as a package, so I figured they'd have good synergy

b) People say the the K701 are on the bright side, with a treble bump, and I don't feel that way at all when I use them with the Desktop. So I figured the Desktop + 650 would be too dark and veiled. But I should certainly try it.

Jul 29, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #8 of 16
The comparison is not fair.
smily_headphones1.gif
But I understand that you want to compare the sounding signature between two. For the question about HD650, I don't think it would be so good synergy of the Headroom with K701 as the richer sound of Headroom benefit the K701; but HD650 already has very rich mid-bass, the Headroom will increase the weight and make it worse.

Jul 29, 2007 at 8:57 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Computerstud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ManAtWork,
I demand you to get a k701....complete your collection of the big 4.....
1)DT880
2)HD650
3)Denon 5000
4)k701

Yeah, I ordered one.
280smile.gif

In fact, all of them are good one, except I am not so satisfied with the sound signature of HD650 and I am seeking to fine tune it - I know there are options.

Jul 30, 2007 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManAtWork /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, I ordered one.
280smile.gif

In fact, all of them are good one, except I am not so satisfied with the sound signature of HD650 and I am seeking to fine tune it - I know there are options.

Congrats on your new headphone purchase. I wasn't too satisfied with the sound signature and the clamp of the HD650s, but they are great set of cans nonetheless. Enjoy your new toy
rs1smile.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
EDIT: All listening was done using the DAC in the Headroom (Home DAC), not the Move's DAC. Also, the comparisons were with crossfeed OFF, as I do not like crossfeed.

It really isn't a direct compare, unless BOTH amps bypass the DAC.
The DAC may be messing with your amp. (vocals)
Give it a try? The HR amp is pretty good with vocals (mine is anyway).

Aug 9, 2007 at 12:45 AM Post #13 of 16
UPDATE:

I think much of the sound I was describing was the Home DAC in the Desktop.

I purchased a VDA-2 + VAC-1 and when used together with the Desktop Amp + K701 the sound is quite different. The feeling that the singer is recessed is completely gone. In fact, the singer has taken quite a few steps forward.
basshead.gif

I haven't listened that much at this point, so I will post more impressions later. But the first impressions are that the VDA2+Headroom+K701 combo sounds fantastic for some somes. But for others it sounds a tad thin and bass shy. Maybe that's just the recording, I don't know.

I've also got a Gilmore Lite + some Sen 650's on the way, so I've got a bunch of combinations to test out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:08 AM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by rumatt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Interesting, thanks. I first blamed it on the K701's, but when I switched to K701 + Move it didn't sound like that. I'll have to pick up a set of 650's and give them a shot.

What's weird is that

a) Headroom sells their amps with K701's as a package, so I figured they'd have good synergy

b) People say the the K701 are on the bright side, with a treble bump, and I don't feel that way at all when I use them with the Desktop. So I figured the Desktop + 650 would be too dark and veiled. But I should certainly try it.

The 340's have a very forward midrange.. The Artist is basically singing in your ear in some tracks.. The 650 is also very intimate & close up with the singer..

Aug 9, 2007 at 1:40 AM Post #15 of 16
Yes Porsche is really much better than Civic! wow..revelation
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back