Impressions after 7 months with UE 5 pros
Jan 17, 2008 at 1:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

frog

New Head-Fier
Its now been 7 months since I bought my ipod and UE5 pros and I have to say evrytime I put the UE's in my ears they bring a smile to my face. I am now ripping my music at a high bitrate (320) and the detail that the ipod and IE's are producing is quite simply amazing.

As much as i try I cannot fault the UE's, they are subtle when they should be, they deliver bass tightly and powerfully and vocals are like the singer being sat in front of me.

I have been sniffing around (on here) various amps in the last few weeks but there are not many around over here in the UK. The thing is that what I have now sounds so good do I realy need an amp? (thats need not want!!)

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 7
the SF5 Pros do sound a little better when amped but the only amp I have used it with is the Go-Vibe V6. I find it sounds great with the Cowon X5L unamped or amped but sound quality improves when using the Go-Vibe with my Creative Audigy 2 PCMCIA sound card. It sounds more refined when amped, sound quality improves throughout the spectrum. I did connect the SF5 Pros to my 5G 60GB Ipod and the sound quality unamped was lacking, the sound quality improved the most with the 5G Ipod when used with the Go-vibe V6. I haven't had a chance to try it with the newer Ipods.

Cheers,

Donny

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that SF5 Pro really benefit from amping, but I have only heard a basic amp, nothing special. They sound great straight from an iPod or laptop or whatever.

Using either my Super.fi or my Triple.fi Pros, my Woo Audio WA6 blows my iPhone into the weeds. There's no comparison, not even close. I mainly use my UEs for travel and AKG K701s for home use, but when I plug them into the main system the UEs are "magic." They give the 701s are real run for their money, being clearly superior in their bass and almost as transparent in their mids. The AKGs are clearly champs of my stable for midrange timbral accuracy and overall transparency.

BTW, I'm love my Triple.fi 10 Pros and they're now my main IEMs, but if money's an issue the Super.fi 5 Pros get you 98 or 99% of the way there. I haven't heard the whole UE line, but the 5s are solidly into the "high end."

Dave

Jan 17, 2008 at 2:47 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by dcstep /img/forum/go_quote.gif

BTW, I'm love my Triple.fi 10 Pros and they're now my main IEMs, but if money's an issue the Super.fi 5 Pros get you 98 or 99% of the way there. I haven't heard the whole UE line, but the 5s are solidly into the "high end."

Dave

I agree. I also have the Super.fi 5 Pros and the Triple.fi 10 Pro's, and although I like the Triples better overall, the 5 Pros are like 95%+ of what you get from the Triple 10's, so hands down I feel the 5 Pro's are the best bang for the buck.

The one thing I don't like about the 5 Pro's is that they are more sensitive and need a lower volume than the Triple's - almost "too" sensitive". If you have a source with a little bit of hiss, the 5 Pro lets you hear it, while with the Triple's is not as obvious. Of course, this you can tell only in a quiet environment as I have taken both while traveling by plane and you can't hear the hiss anyway
wink.gif

Will

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by fhuang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are you saying ue5 pro or super-fi pro?

Sorry mate it wasn't too clear, I have UE super.fi 5 pros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back