[Impression] RudiStor RPX300
Jul 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

OmoNemo

New Head-Fier
P1070024.jpg

I just received my Beauty Amp about three weeks ago and as always it came in well packed, thanks RudiStor team for that. Out of the box, the amp sounds a bit harsh on the top ends, but most of the tonality is well controlled especially the midrange which is smooth liquidly and a bit recessed. After more than 60 hours of burn-in the sound gets in shape, so after spending my happy times with the amp, I decided to share my impression here.

What I like about this Rudi's amp is its sound signature, the same as Rudi's amps that I had my chance to lay my hands on before, the RP010B, Egmont Classic and Coriolan Electrostatics Driver. They have kinda sound of live performance, Tube-likes, a bit dull, smooth and lively. The RPX300 shares the same sound signature as its predecessors but more neutral as far as I can tell.

P1070025.jpg

My testing set up:
Cans: HD800, ATH L3K, ATH W5K fitz mod with APS V3 cable, STAX SR 007 MK2 and UE11 Pro.
CD : C.E.C. TL51XR
PC: iMac
Audio interface: TC konnekt 8
DAC: Bel canto Dac3
Amps: Rudistor RPX300, RudiStor Egmont classic
Cables: Purist Audio Design Venustas XLR, DIY WSXC reference RCA, HGA Digital, Furutech alpha3 power cord.

The amp synergized with any cans I plugged in from high-impedance Full size ones to Custom IEM because of it neutrality. Evidently some might say the amp lags of it own personality. But what I thought was the amp should drives the cans just to show its full potential not coloring its character. To me I gave RPX800 9/10 for its neutrality.

P1070032.jpg

I fell for the midrange of HD800 + RPX300 combo because it's flat, real and has good dynamics on vocal when the singer raises voice, 3-dimensional sound stage. Jazz, classical and live concert are my preferred genres for this combination.

With the L3000, the RPX300 is the combo for any kind of Rock from speed to punk and also great for Pop and R&B.

Paring he amp with Custom IEMs, like the UE11, shares almost the same sound signature of the HD800 but a bit duller and the head stage is narrower. I'm not a portable amp person, but if the exists portable amp that could possibly give me the sound that I heard from my UE11 + RPX300 combo, I will order one right away with no hesitation at all.
tongue_smile.gif

Comparing to my Electrostatic setup:
I'd say RPX300 + HD800 impresss me so much on this comparison because I always like the transparency of my OII over any dynamic cans I've have listened but my 1st impression of RPX300 + HD800 has changed my point of view, that the sound is crystal clear plus better image is better but while the sound stage from my STAX setup is wider with more natural and better tone.

P1070034.jpg

Conclusion:
If you looking for the amp that synergy with most of the Cans with neutral sound, good for jazz classical and any live performances, this amp is one that you should not over look. I'd say when I listen to RP010B I could interact with the sound I heard but for RPX300 I felt like I'm the one who play the instruments.

Thank you for reading this far guys, enjoy your listening.
L3000.gif

Specification:
Maximum Output( Voltage Swing): 30Vpp
Bandwidth: 2-100.000 Hz 0.05db
THD: 0.02% (3Vpp on 32 Ohm)
Input Impedance: 30 to 47 kohm
Input : 1 pair RCA golden plater + 1 pair XLR set golden plated
Output: 1 pair RCA golden plater + 1 pair XLR set golden plated
Humm Level : Not measurable
Slew Rate >5VuSec
Output Impedance: 3 Ohm to 1200
Gain: 12
Technology: Discrete Bipolar and FET transistor
S/N : 120db
Dimensions (cm): 35x30x12
Weight (Kg): 6.9

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #3 of 14
Thanks for the review. I enjoyed reading it very much!
I haven't heard of this amp before now. OMG just saw the price
on the Rudistor site...gulp.

I wish you many happy hours of listening with your new amp.

Jul 26, 2009 at 8:59 AM Post #6 of 14
OmoNemo - good review and pics, thanks! There is one question, how do RPX300 synchronise the 2 volume controls? Is there clicks feedback there to help or is it purely visual by looking at the marks on the front plate?

Interesting re: changes to XLR implimentation.

IPodPJ - did you try RPX-300 in balanced mode in CanJam?

Jul 26, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the review!
Really nice looking amplifier, and headphone.

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 14
Nice review. And you have some super headphones!

Jul 26, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 14
Thank you guys for all your comments, appreciated.
o2smile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by SleepyOne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OmoNemo - good review and pics, thanks! There is one question, how do RPX300 synchronise the 2 volume controls? Is there clicks feedback there to help or is it purely visual by looking at the marks on the front plate?

There are no click feedback to help on the synchronisation for that two, just adjusts them to the same level visually then fine tune using our hearing sense, very easy to use though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by winzzz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you...its so beautiful...how does it compare to other amps like b22 or apache ?

I never try B22 before but comparing to the apache the amp sounds more neutral and relaxed.

Jul 26, 2009 at 12:11 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

IPodPJ - did you try RPX-300 in balanced mode in CanJam?

Honestly, I don't remember. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure he had a pair of balanced Sennheiser headphones there. What I am positive about is that I didn't get to listen to my own music though. Rudi picked the song. And the music was playing directly from his Macbook. He had no outboard DAC so I could not get a final impression on it. I would need to hear it in my own system to give a conclusive comparison. I did spend time with the RPX100 with my DAC and headphones at the recent L.A. meet and it doesn't sound nearly as good to me as the Phoenix or balanced B22.

Jul 27, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #11 of 14
Great Review and Great PIX! can't wait to get one with that kind of Quote!

Jul 27, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #13 of 14
Very interesting! i was really concideringthe bel canto dac 3 in the past and it is still on my list of possible future dacs, I also considered rudistor amps but am thinking now of b22 as a balanced option or maybe just lehmann black cube because I know they synergize so well with the hd800 which will be my eventual can of choice.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 28, 2009 at 1:21 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

OmoNemo - thanks for the inform! Will you be going balanced with the HD800?

IMO with quad mono amp like RPX300, whenever you have your chance balanced headphone re-cable is a must do.
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back