[Impression] iFi Audio iDAC, iCAN, iUSB Power – Trio of Goodness
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #16 of 19
never got an answer to that. I was also wondering if the isub power filters the data signals or just the power? I was also wondering how useful it is without the Gemini cable as I need a 16 foot cable.

Feb 7, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #17 of 19
never got an answer to that. I was also wondering if the isub power filters the data signals or just the power? I was also wondering how useful it is without the Gemini cable as I need a 16 foot cable.
try noblehifi.com web site. Ask your question from Edd.

Feb 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #18 of 19
I got my answers. all this device does is sever the usb bus power and provide it's own very clean power. it does nothing to data. I built my own device that measures very well. I am more interested in their data filter now. that I cannot easily build myself. of course there is the doodlebug in the diy section that is probably beyond this stuff I am guessing. there is a slight problem with all these things. most of the dacs need to handshake with the usb power. for some reason their are reports including stereophile that had problems getting the computer to recognize the dac with the iusb power in place. they may have changed the amplitude of the power or something. so some dacs may have trouble. other than that most people saw positive results regarding sound quality using it. I guess I could bowwor one to see how it compares to what I built. the power is the real culprit in usb noise but I would like to try the data filter and plan to today.

Feb 9, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #19 of 19
The problem with USB data isolation is that most commercially available IC based isolator only support up to USB full speed (USB 1.0), which is fine if you are limited to USB Audio Class 1 device or 24/96 decoding. But for anything beyond 24/96, data isolation is simply a no-go since there isn't any USB isolator chip that can do USB high speed (USB 2.0). The few true USB High Speed isolator solution out there are using optical (laser) isolation and they all cost an arm and a leg if not more. That's why you don't see iUSB Power, which is meant to go with iDAC (24/192), has data isolation. There simply isn't any way to do it for now, or at least not in a reasonable price tag.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back