Impressed with my new ATH-AD700, but want an upgrade!
Apr 4, 2010 at 5:22 AM Post #16 of 16
Quote:

So are the DT-880's similar (or better) then the DT-990 or about the same?

Same lv of comfort, the sound is somewhat different though. Just do a search for dt880 dt990 and u can find tons of info on the difference. Since U already tried the 990 u should be able to gain more from reading those comparisons.

assuming u liking of AD700 is due to the treble/sound stage and less focus on bass, then 880 should sound more similar to ad700 compared to 990.

I havent heard the K701, but i have read a lot abt it. General consensuses is that its strong points are its soundstage and highs, while its major issues is the lack of bass. This factors are the exact same points attributed to the AD700. Ergo people are going to suggest k701s as an upgrade choice.

similarly, 880 is generally seen has having good treble/tight bass by those who like it (those who hate it cite its bright tremble and relative lack of bass compared with say...990). Still if ur satisfied with ad700's bass than there is no way u will have issue with dt880's.

side note: if u want something that works directly out of an ipod touch then the k701 and the 250ohm/600ohm dt880 are out. leaving u with only the 32 ohm version of 880.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back