Importance of cables
Aug 25, 2008 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Shingetsu

100+ Head-Fier
So I'm Still fairly new to the hifi and headfi scene and wanted some good opinions based on the idea of high quality cables.

As it stands im waiting for my amp to come in and i realized that i need "RCA to Something, probably 1/8" " cables.

This will be plugged into my sound card on my computer.

I was browsing on Moon-audio and i couldnt believe that some of these cables cost more than my whole setup.

Is there a noticeable change in Sound Quality, As far as clairty, bass, and midrange sound, when using high quality cables?

Thanks again.

Aug 25, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 47
Hello Shingetsu

The community is split when it comes to this topic:
There are the believers and the non-believers.

Means, some believe that cables actually make a difference and others simply don't think so - just considering the sound.

Of course some cables are more flexible/beautiful to look at and so on but the believers think, that cables can give the music more dynamics, make the bass tighter and so on.

On the other side, there are the "non-believers", who think that the believers are only frustrated people who won't admit to themselves that they bought a cable for 200$ and that it was a absolute mistake 'cause it doesn't change anything. Anyway - the believers have only their ears and their strict idea that THERE MUST BE A DIFFERENCE AND YOU JUST CAN'T HEAR IT AND/OR ARE JEALOUS so discussing with believers can be really tiresome sometimes - the final argument usually ist "you can't afford it" or "you just can't hear as good as I".

The non-believers, on the other side, have the support of 21st century science which sais that even a copper cable with a thickness of roughly 2 mm is enough to transport the electrical signal. Differences might be there, but surely not audible for any human beings and even for detectors difficult to show.

Sometimes it might appear as if the cable-believers have scientific proof for their theories. You might hear arguments as "the electrons can flow faster in the material given 'cause it's been improved with magnets etc." which is usually garbage quoted from the cable-producers themselve (who have margins of multiple 100 %).

If you ask me, as a non believer, you should buy the cheapest cable possible which has quality components (good plugs and isolation so the cable won't get damaged and flexible/long enough for your needs) and don't care about people who spend much money for their cables.

Just my honest opinion.

mahatma

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #3 of 47
lol i expected this and as some one who hasn't hear many sound systems i want to try but dont want to spend the money on premium cables.

Is there a mid range?

Just good or decent cables for a reasonable price?

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #4 of 47
Most people who slam cables have never heard anything better than what is offered at Best Buy. They aren't going to make a bright headphone sound dark, or vice versa, but they can make a substantial difference.

That being said, if you're running off of a soundcard, I'd spend the money on an amp instead of cables.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 47
x2 for what Earwicker said.

And yes, there is a mid-range. Blue Jean Cable makes very good not-too-expensive cables. Several DIYers can also help you out if you post exactly what you need. Even Fleabay has some reliable cable offerings.

And though they make reasonable sounding scientfic-ish arguments, I personally do not trust anyone who listens to Sennheiser 6xx with stock cables and Cardas and does not hear any differemce. From that point on I assume they have different ears than I....

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:33 PM Post #6 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shingetsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there a mid range?

Just good or decent cables for a reasonable price?

Yes Blue Jeans Cables.

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #7 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And though they make reasonable sounding scientfic-ish arguments, I personally do not trust anyone who listens to Sennheiser 6xx with stock cables and Cardas and does not hear any differemce. From that point on I assume they have different ears than I....

What's even worse is the people who haven't listened to the HD650 with Cardas and still try to scare newbies away from buying them
biggrin.gif

Aug 25, 2008 at 11:52 PM Post #8 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by mahatma andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello Shingetsu

The community is split when it comes to this topic:
There are the believers and the non-believers.

Means, some believe that cables actually make a difference and others simply don't think so - just considering the sound.

Of course some cables are more flexible/beautiful to look at and so on but the believers think, that cables can give the music more dynamics, make the bass tighter and so on.

On the other side, there are the "non-believers", who think that the believers are only frustrated people who won't admit to themselves that they bought a cable for 200$ and that it was a absolute mistake 'cause it doesn't change anything. Anyway - the believers have only their ears and their strict idea that THERE MUST BE A DIFFERENCE AND YOU JUST CAN'T HEAR IT AND/OR ARE JEALOUS so discussing with believers can be really tiresome sometimes - the final argument usually ist "you can't afford it" or "you just can't hear as good as I".

The non-believers, on the other side, have the support of 21st century science which sais that even a copper cable with a thickness of roughly 2 mm is enough to transport the electrical signal. Differences might be there, but surely not audible for any human beings and even for detectors difficult to show.

Sometimes it might appear as if the cable-believers have scientific proof for their theories. You might hear arguments as "the electrons can flow faster in the material given 'cause it's been improved with magnets etc." which is usually garbage quoted from the cable-producers themselve (who have margins of multiple 100 %).

If you ask me, as a non believer, you should buy the cheapest cable possible which has quality components (good plugs and isolation so the cable won't get damaged and flexible/long enough for your needs) and don't care about people who spend much money for their cables.

Just my honest opinion.

mahatma

2x Very nice of mahatma to present both sides of the debate

Anyway, you're the one who's going to be listening to your system, so buy whatever makes you happy and you'll be all set, whether it be $1,000 speaker wire or radio shack speaker wire

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #9 of 47
It's a matter of proportion and priority. Cables offer the least amount of bang for the buck, and even those who claim to hear a difference in them admit that the difference is subtle, and isn't even audible on midrange systems. If you are just starting out, spend your money on headphones. That's where you will get the most for your money.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's even worse is the people who haven't listened to the HD650 with Cardas and still try to scare newbies away from buying them

HD650s sound great no matter what cable you use with them. The headphones are what make the difference.

See ya
Steve

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 47
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a matter of proportion and priority. Cables offer the least amount of bang for the buck, and even those who claim to hear a difference in them admit that the difference is subtle, and isn't even audible on midrange systems. If you are just starting out, spend your money on headphones. That's where you will get the most for your money.

See ya
Steve

Agreed. Cables can do a lot of good towards getting that last 1%, but they're not the first thing you want to drop money on.

Aug 26, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #12 of 47
Some cables sound different from one another. There is a difference between my Zu Mobius and Enigma Audio Oracle cable for Sennheiser HD650.

It depends on other components as well. There was a subtle difference between the Zu Mobius and the stock cable through Musical Fidelity x-can v3 amp. But the difference is greater through RSA HR-2 amp. It's hard to like the stock cable after listening to Zu for a prolonged period.
biggrin.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:41 AM Post #13 of 47
I did test about cable:

1. toslink - upgrade from 3$ to 50$ one, Cannot find the difference.
2. interconnect - upgrade from 10$ to 50$ one, Can not find the difference.
3. headphone cable - upgrade form stock sens. 650 cable to headphile, I can hear the difference. . What I got are: some instrument I finally can feel and some old problem solved. Also more bright and open. I did the blind test both on me and my gf and same result.

So I do not know how important of cable actually.
wink.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #14 of 47
They're very important. Without them you don't get any sound. (Someone had to say it since it was so obvious.)
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 26, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 47
I agree what was mentioned earlier. It's the last 1% or so.... that makes a difference. Especially, when it comes to music... it's all about the subtle details. Without being able to differentiate those very delicate changes in micro dynamics and macro dynamics you won't get all the emotional content of the music from the performer. Also, without having a system that can resolve the detail of cable changes it wont make much of a difference. Then at that point, yes it's better to put the money elsewhere. Especially on the source. The music system has to be looked at as a system approach. It will only be as good as the weakest link. That can be said of many things, not just audio. For instance, a good camera with a terrible lens will only be as good as the lens is capable of. Even if the camera's film/sensor can detect more information. There are differences.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back